map update = 60 min IDLING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

PDF from Subaru indicates during my "2108 Subaru Legacy 2.5 cu, 9200 mi" map UPDATE-engine could be IDLING up to 60 min. I get an uneasy feeling about this as I have driving & working on cars for 65 yr & usually drive my cars 150-200 thousand mi.

Is this IDLING going to cause future engine problems or is a normal operation for modern engines & oil?
2018 Subaru Legacy 2.5 cu takes 5 qt. 0-20w syn oil.

Regards,

klxdrt

legacy trans.png

Last edited:
Trade it in, will be toast afterwards. Seriously, are you trolling with that question on an hour of idle time and wear?

Just go for a long highway blast after to clear out some of the extra fuel if you're really worried about it.

I have the same engine in my Forester and at least 10 times since I've owned the car, I have taken an hour long nap in it with it running and the AC on.

No failure yet.

I've had mine idling for 3+ hours with/without AC or heat and it 'seems' fine at the moment.

That's such a weird instruction. Are you sure you can't just leave the key in the "ON" position and maybe with a battery charger hooked up?

It depends on the engine, idling is a suspect in many engine failures, notably some of the emergency vehicles that idle a lot. The theory would be the cam is starved for lubrication at idle. But just one time for 90 minutes I seriously dubt that will be an issue. Plus, you have plenty of warranty left sounds like, and if you need the update what is your options? Maybe chnage the oil first, have some fresh vii's for your update.

I know nothing about this map update, but some questions occur to me. Does it have to idle during this process? Can you start the process when you're going to drive for an hour? Or will it work with the engine off and the ignition on (perhaps attach battery charger to keep battery from dying)?

You're from NJ. Pretty sure you've been idling in traffic jams for longer than that before. And there is often some post online about, I parked my car in the driveway, got distracted, went in the house and left it running all night.

I think it's a legitimate question. I wouldn't want to idle that long if I didn't have to. Also, leaving a car running in driveway is illegal in many cities, unless you are inside or have remote start. I would do the battery charger/leave key in "run" position -- as nobb already suggested.

Originally Posted by atikovi
You're from NJ. Pretty sure you've been idling in traffic jams for longer than that before. And there is often some post online about, I parked my car in the driveway, got distracted, went in the house and left it running all night.

I've done that one before!

My uncle used to idle his new cars for hours with the hood up ... That was his break in system. He would go and rev up and down frequently to vary the rpm. Sometimes he would leave something heavy on the pedal to keep rpm a little higher.
All his cars ran very smooth with lots of mileage ....

If at home and you have to idle for extended amount of time, I would park in the shade and pop up the hood. No issues either way!

If an hour of idling was going to hurt a vehicle don't you think all of these emergency vehicles and police cruisers etc would all be junk by now??? C'mon Jersey, you have to have a little bit of that stuff called common sense left in there somewhere!

I had to do it in my Durango once. It was just fine... I even ran some errands and just left it running but locked in the parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back