Brake Hose Washers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a brake hose that did not come with copper washers. It looks to have been a packaging mistake.

Looking at the washers that come with a similar hose, I have dimensions, but have had difficulty replicating them exactly.

Ones that I can find are thicker and are a little smaller in the OD.

How particular are these washers? Is everything basically okay if the hose seals and doesn't leak?

Yes, everything is okay if it doesn't leak, but don't over-torque trying to compensate for a size/fit mismatch trying to stop a leak.

In some cases you can even reuse the old washers, but you must sand them down flat so they crush into a conforming shape again. Most people wouldn't bother and if it was tightened down too much last time, they may be too thin to do that.

If they were supposed to be in the package, why not contact the seller and request them or exchange for new product that includes them? If you have to pay postage you might just get whatever the local auto parts store has instead. Don't substitute a harder metal if they're supposed to be copper.

Last edited:
I saw the thread title and thought a brake hose washer was like a parts washer but a smaller, scaled down version. Maybe with GL4/5 parts washing fluid?! It's been a long day..

Not all hoses or calipers come with them. Most of the Ford ones do not. Fortunately I usually override our suggested stocking and try to keep them in stock when I can.

Put the fine sandpaper flat on piece of glass put finger on it and move it in a circle. turn over and repeat. They need to be flat and parallel.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by atikovi
Just reuse the old ones after sanding down a bit.

Or heat them up. supposed to renew copper.

Heating and quenching copper anneals it (opposite of steel), making it softer so it will crush and seal better. A little flattening out first wouldn't hurt, either.

I have cloth backed sintered brass and man made diamond abrasive material.

The diamond / brass material is in little cylinders on the cloth.

The stuff is amazing.

I use it to true out aluminum and copper washers like the ones we're speaking of here.

Huge bands of it are used to finesse big shafts into existing paper machines.

When they ripped they were tossed and my pal would take 'em from the trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back