3. Red Bull, 191
4. McLaren, 60
5. Renault, 39
6. Alfa Romeo Racing, 26
7. Racing Point, 19
8. Toro Rosso, 19
9. Haas, 16
10. Williams, 0

For more, including track data, analysis, and video please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JC1
Time for a DNF for 44.

It won't matter, he'll still win the championship this season.

Toto Wolff must have put a curse on Ferrari in qualifying: Vettel dropped out in Q1 due to a turbo failure, and starts last. Leclerc got to Q3 with a competitive time for the pole, but had engine problems too, and starts 10th. Verstappen starts 2nd, .4 seconds slower than Hammy.

Originally Posted by Patman
It won't matter, he'll still win the championship this season.

There were saying Lewis was feeling under the weather today and they were prepared to have Ocon take over. It didn't pan out, though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Indydriver
Who will get the dirty from VET when the Red Haze descends?

Looks to me like I'd call him driver of the day.
wink.gif
Between a fair bit of luck and some great driving, going from the very back to second is a good job. He gained something like six places in the first lap.

In retrospect, Lewis should have taken that sick day.
wink.gif
I can't say I agree with the penalty he got. Pit entry rules are designed to limit false entries and last second entries that are done to confuse one's opponents all the while being hazardous, not to prevent someone with a stricken car from getting off the track. Lewis should have gone around a full lap, leaving a breadcrumb trail of bodywork and possibly tire material, instead of cutting in the way he did? He already penalized himself with what caused the issue in the first place. I suspect he would have preferred it not happen at all and to not have made the pit stop. Besides, I'm sure if you look at the footage, you'll see at least 5 seconds (probably felt like 50 to Lewis) of the Mercedes mechanics standing there slack jawed or running around hunting for tires and a wing, without actually working on his vehicle.

I suppose if you give Seb a bizarre penalty in the season, you have to give Lewis one sooner or later.

Originally Posted by Garak
Indydriver said:
In retrospect, Lewis should have taken that sick day.
wink.gif
I can't say I agree with the penalty he got.

Agree completely. "News flash: Driver cops penalty for doing the right thing and not screwing up everyone elses race". Still, after the retrospective penalties for Alfa he picked up 2 points, so still worth getting out of bed for.

As much as it pains me to defend Lewis, it was just so silly. The five seconds was easily served by that disastrous pit stop, probably at least two times over. There was no action for the Mercedes one earlier in the season (or was it the end of last?) with come in, don't come in, come in, don't come in, having the car zig zagging to figure out where to go. Lewis gets across safely to get a stricken car out of the road, has a pit stop long enough he could have gone to the bathroom, and then gets five seconds tacked on.

Geez, what a race! F1 should install rain machines at every track, and activate them at random times.
And it helped that the safety car bunched the field three times. Maybe the FIA is thinking they should have paid attention to NASCAR years ago.
Vettel hung in there throughout the race, and it all came good at the end for 2nd, from 20th place.
Dani Kvyat gets some redemption returning from banishment to get a podium.
Lance Stroll showed speed and coolness under pressure while defending 3rd from Valteri Bottas, who crashed trying to catch him.

Originally Posted by Garak
...by that disastrous pit stop...

Not sure that it's fair to call it "disastrous" but more like like "holy ****, Lewis just crashed and is coming in in 8 seconds!!". Can't blame them for not being ready. It was just coincidence that his crash happened right at the pit entrance. Was that good luck or bad luck ? Who knows what speed he could have driven around the full circuit in order to give them time. He made the call to go straight in knowing they might not be ready....

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the team. There would be no way for them to be ready. It was just one of those things, and it turned out disastrously for Lewis. Of course, it could have been worse and he could have gone around the track. It could have been better and the stewards could have realized he spent 5 seconds stationary with no work being done on the car.

A_Harman: Bernie suggested sprinklers on the tracks.
wink.gif
As far as the safety car goes, I don't like when it gets overused. This certainly wasn't one of these cases, since it was warranted each time. It's funny, if you go back and look at some historical races, and I don't even mean that old. If you watch any of the races before Bianchi's incident in Japan, you can see all kinds of crashes and beachings and engine failures that were handled with no safety car that make you cringe in retrospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back