07 Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a low priced car for my daughter. There is a 2007 Mazda 6 (4 cyl, auto) for sale about an hour away. Thing is, it has something like 215k miles. The guy claims it runs and shifts great, and it looks good in the pics. If I do go look at it, anything specific to look for on these (especially with the high miles)? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Too many miles to start a new tour of duty.

Seems strange to have to travel an hour for something with 215K, do you (or does she) have their heart set on a Mazda 6?

I like 6's, but they have weak transmissions. I'd want to see records for tranny fluid replacements (every 30K mi.)and would ask how long it's been since that was replaced as it's unlikely to be the original at 215K.

Thanks, guys. I need to point out that the plains of eastern S.D. are much different than living in Cincinnati, etc. Yes, we might have to drive an hour or more if the small town we live in doesn't have anything.

I'd be worried about rust.

Is this a first car for a new driver? If it's a cheap car, then it sounds like a good idea. Not saying your daughter is an awful driver, but we know how it goes... Car is pretty new, so all the usual safety equipment.

Originally Posted by supton

Is this a first car for a new driver? If it's a cheap car, then it sounds like a good idea. Not saying your daughter is an awful driver, but we know how it goes...

Yeah, you got it. She seems to be a good driver, but 15 years old, so...

In addition to the rust and transmission problems already mentioned, a very common problem is a failed oil cooler gasket. If it fails catastrophically, all of the oil can quickly pump out of your engine. Mazda does not sell a replacement gasket, you can only buy an aftermarket copy. It will also fail, maybe sooner or maybe later, but it WILL eventually fail. Mazda only sells a redesigned oil cooler assembly which uses a different gasket and mounting bolt. It is pricey. Look under the car at the area around the oil filter/cooler assembly, if you see a lot of oil around it, the gasket is bad.

Oh, thank you for mentioning that. Mine doesn't drip at all so far (at 182000Km), but it's good to know.

Some mentioned transmission...well it's (to me) very slow, but fairly smooth too. Apparently not so reliable, I guess I'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back