Car brands with poor warranty support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our family needs a new vehicle and currently I'm considering four or five different options. A 2019 Ford Edge all-wheel-drive was at the top of my list but after reading this thread I'm not so sure. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5121395/1. Is Ford the worst, or just one of many ? So let's hear it from people with first hand knowledge, which auto manufacturers have a poor track record when It comes to warranty repair ?

Last edited:
Hyundai is just ok, you just have to push back and they usually getter done. Just remember any AWD you get, dump the rear diff fluid at 5,000 miles do get all the clutch pack break-in out of the thimble worth of the 1/2 Qt to 3/4 Qt of oil in there. It is usually very black by 5,000 mile. This goes across all rear diff AWD clutchpack manufactures. Hyundai's, Audi's, Toyota's, VW's and ect.....

In my experience the first and foremost important variable on warranty support hasn't necessarily been the manufacturer, but the dealer itself. There is wide variation in my area between shops of the same manufacturer. Some dealers are only about sales, others sales AND service. Since warranty work often pays less than private pay, I believe some dealers look for excuses not to do it, or to do as little as possible. I think the bad dealers often blame the manufacturer for denial of coverage when they actually don't want to fool with something. Whatever brand you choose, find a dealer who has great service reviews online and as a result I think you'll be fine with any manufacturer.

A brand with incredible warranty support is Acura. I believe they try their hardest to retain customers. I owned a first year 07 MDX and Acura had many campaigns to fix their teething issues with warranty to the 120k or 150k on specific items.

I have owned Honda, Subaru, Acura, VW and all have had excellent warranty/dealer support in my experience.

I think the dealer matters. Some dealers are just awful, and their reputation precedes them.

I don't have much to add. My Saturn, Honda, Toyota's were in and out of warranty before they had issues; the VW likewise. Although the VW had a 12 year unlimited corrosion warranty that a dealer balked at (I watched his eyes glaze over when I mentioned that it had 278k on the clock), but he took my info and submitted. I was not surprised when the next person up the chain denied it...

In my nearly 50 years of car buying I say the dealer is everything.

My current GM dealership is terrible.

My FCA dealership is amazing and would do anything to retain your business.

I have had great relationships with other dealers that had little to do with the brand sold there....

IMO a lot depends on the relationship you have with the service dept. From my own anecdotal experience I never had problems with BMW, VW, or Mercedes.

Decades ago when I was in my late teens the Chrysler/Jeep dealership tried to pull a fast one on my mother by denying an obvious warranty repair on the rear differential with 2k miles of warranty left. We figured they were hoping that when the issue became worse they could claim that the vehicle was out of warranty and she'd have to pay out of pocket. Unfortunately for the SA my parents were good friends with the owner of the dealership. The look on the SA's face was priceless as my mother handed him the phone with the owner on the line. It was the ultimate mike drop before that even became a thing. Of course my mother had the paperwork from the prior visit so there was proof of a problem.

Last edited:
IDK how to research or "shop" a service department....but this department is the one you will wrestle with with claims. Do your best, ask a friend or a BITOG member. Maybe drive a little further to the dealer/service department of your choosing. We are all kinda stuck geographically though.

Originally Posted by Ammofirst
Our family needs a new vehicle and currently I'm considering four or five different options. A 2019 Ford Edge all-wheel-drive was at the top of my list but after reading this thread I'm not so sure. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5121395/1. Is Ford the worst, or just one of many ? So let's hear it from people with first hand knowledge, which auto manufacturers have a poor track record when It comes to warranty repair ?

I would be reading Consumer Reports for that kind of info. Typically you need to pick the type of vehicle then look up the vehicle with the best frequency of repairs. Like a SUV or crossover or sedan or truck or sports car. The base for Consumer Reports is much larger than BITOG.

Some is the attitude of local dealer and the regional rep. And your skills at working and convincing others. Dealers have a small pot of money to use for customer sat issue. Like the car failed at 60,001 miles with a 60K warranty.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by supton
I think the dealer matters.

This.

Most dealers have a recognition of their top performing dealers, like Subaru has the "Stellar Care Award". If you are buying a brand you already know, I would start with your current car by taking it in for a minor service or something so you can evaluate them before you buy a new car. This establishes the relationship, and then buying a new car should maintain it. I don't just buy from any dealer especially just because of the lowest price. The price you will pay in headaches from a bad dealer far outweigh a small discount on the initial sale.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
In my nearly 50 years of car buying I say the dealer is everything.

Yep..in my experience 10 out of 10 "denials" were the dealership initially claiming it wouldn't be a covered repair. Pushing back, with owners manual in hand, I've had every single repair issue performed under warranty - covered by the warranty. You have to go into it with the mindset that they're going to deny responsibility initially. Do your homework/research beforehand and have your receipts ready to go and you'll prevail, unless it's obvious you FUBAR'd things....‚

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
IMO a lot depends on the relationship you have with the service dept.

A lot of people like myself don't have a dealership beyond the purchase until they have a repair issue. I may run in to the dealership to buy a OE filter from time to time but that's about it. (-or use my "free" oil change(s))

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I don't just buy from any dealer especially just because of the lowest price. The price you will pay in headaches from a bad dealer far outweigh a small discount on the initial sale.

Obviously mfgs want you to take your car back to the dealership you purchased it from and that's likely to be where you're going to receive the best service. However, suppose you've moved and need to take it into a dealership that didn't sell you the car, well be prepared to receive a different level of service IMO. It shouldn't be that way and I know the mfgs don't want it to be that way but in my experience it is. A good dealership with forward (not myopic) thinking sees this as an opportunity to create (cultivate) a relationship with you for future car purchase potential. Since you obviously liked the brand enuff to buy it at least once. (for the most part, i think most people are forgiving of a mfg with respect to mechanical issues, it's how they're dealt with that matters)

Last edited:
Ford.

Most commonly used phrase by Ford service team - "Thats normal"

UD

Last edited:
If you don't know your dealership … I found CarPro certified dealerships to actually be good first time in the door …

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Ford.

UD

My Honda dealer and many others from reading various forums is "No problem found" come back when there is a code showing.

All the brands have their horror stories. Like others mentioned, your particular dealer is going to make or break it most times on the level of care you get.

10+ years ago I would have said any of the Japanese brands would be a good bet for fair warranty service, but they are slowly creeping up to everybody else on the domestic make side.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Ford.

UD

My Honda dealer and many others from reading various forums is "No problem found" come back when there is a code showing.

I'm on my first honda vehicle - well see so far mechanically its been great but fit was sorely lacking.
it came to me wit the doors and hood so misaligned I refused to take delivery until they did a better job, they got it much better, but its clear honda quality on that product is slipping. The Accord gets much more attention than the Ridgeline.

The trans in my kids focus juddered more than a massage bed at a cheap hotel.
It was so bad it felt like being rear-ended at times even on the test drive with the service writer.
Everyone knew it was bad and would never be fixed but they all just played along.

It's ALL ABOUT THE DEALER!! Yes, I am shouting on this one, and with my recent experiences, Ford is off the table for any newer vehicle. Not sure how much Ford corporate has to do with it, but it's a race between their products & warranty service, straight to the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back