Kohler 7000 series 25hrs on Rotella T5 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cub Cadet zero-turn had the following engine oil maintenance:
This is an air-cooled 7000 series KT25 @ 725CC with an oil capacity of 2 qts.

5 hrs initial break-in drain and fill Rotella T5 10W30 and Fram Ultra XG3614
30 hrs drain and fill Rotella T5 10W30
55 hrs drain and fill Rotella T5 10W30 and FU XG3614

Attached is the OC with 25hrs on the oil and 50hrs on the filter.
TBN is still pretty strong 9.2 and V100 10.9
Will keep the oil in for 50hrs and oil filter for 100hrs.

Cub_Cadet_55hrs.jpg

Reposting for readability.
25 hrs on the oil.

Cu...4
Fe...9
Cr....0
Al....2
Pb...9
Sn...2
Si...18
Na...6
K...11
B.150
Mo.58
Ni....0
Ag...0
Ti....0
V....0
Mn..2
Cd..0
Ca.1630
Mg...345
Zn.1086
P...883
Ba.0

ST...0
OXI..14
NIT..7
SUL..20
W...N
A...N
F...N
V100 ......10.9
TBN..9.2

PQIA Rotella T5 10WE30 VOA

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I'd check air filtration for the 15ppm Si, but I have a feeling at 100 hours the oil is still going to look great after seeing this.

PQIA reports Si 6 for the VOA

You did the first oil change after 5 hours? I have a Kohler 7000 series and the manual and dealer say 25 hours. I have had it 1.5 seasons and only have 13 hours on it (my lawn is big enough to need a rider since a push would take 1.5 to 2 hours, but I can get done in 20 minutes on the zero turn). My factory fill still looks fresh.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
You did the first oil change after 5 hours? I have a Kohler 7000 series and the manual and dealer say 25 hours. I have had it 1.5 seasons and only have 13 hours on it (my lawn is big enough to need a rider since a push would take 1.5 to 2 hours, but I can get done in 20 minutes on the zero turn). My factory fill still looks fresh.

I followed the old school maintenance schedule @5 hrs and used a Fram Ultra filter which has phenomenal particle count results. Wanted to upgrade from the factory Kohler to the robust silicone gasket FU.

Side note.
There are many automotive Blackstone lab particle counts results that point to the 10K mi OCI using a FU. At an average 40 mi/hr this would translate to 250hrs. On my zero turn that would be 10 mowing seasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patrick0525

I followed the old school maintenance schedule @5 hrs and used a Fram Ultra filter which has phenomenal particle count results. Wanted to upgrade from the factory Kohler to the robust silicone gasket FU.

Side note.
There are many automotive Blackstone lab particle counts results that point to the 10K mi OCI using a FU. At an average 40 mi/hr this would translate to 250hrs. On my zero turn that would be 10 mowing seasons.

You would rust out an Ultra before you needed to change it, I've done 19,700 miles, on 2 M1 EP OCIs, on the xB in my sig, and it still looked like it could have gone another 20K!

You might want to check your manual again. http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/32_590_23_EN.pdf It seems that only a few of the Kohler manuals now mention any engine break in procedure. https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/manuals Its a controversial topic on the professional lawn forums. I still prefer the old school 8 -10 hour break in change.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

You might want to check your manual again. http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/32_590_23_EN.pdf It seems that only a few of the Kohler manuals now mention any engine break in procedure. https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/manuals Its a controversial topic on the professional lawn forums. I still prefer the old school 8 -10 hour break in change.

@doitmyself I agree! There were too many shiny particles @5 hrs and waiting patiently waiting till 25hrs is not my cup of tea. I also choose to refill with an older HDEO preferably a CJ4 that has a high 1000+ PPM levels of ZDDP additive to nurture those flat tappets on the 7000 series engine. Unconfirmed, but I read Kohler uses Zn/P for break-in. ZDDP cannot hurt unless ur lawn mower has an unthinkable catalyst or u exceed 1300+ levels of ZDDP which then becomes corrosive (????).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back