Any Truth to Alternating Gasoline Brands to Avoid Carbon/Gunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Shell fuels almost exclusively for multiple years now because it's Top Tier certified, everywhere in my area, and I use their Fuel Rewards program. I've heard from various sources that using the same brand of gasoline (and presumably the same additives) can cause build-up over time. I understand that all gasoline as delivered to gas stations is more or less the same no matter where you go; but over time, is there any truth to alternating between different fuel brands as some stations may have additives that clean certain issues that one may not? (e.g. Shell's proprietary additives versus Exxon's?)

Personally, I wouldn't worry. I've generally filled at the same place for extended periods, too. However, if it puts your mind at ease to fill up at another Top Tier location once in a while, there's certainly no harm in that. Another option to consider to ease one's mind is some Regane or SI-1 every once in a while.

No truth in that...not even real sure how the psuedo-science to purportedly back it up would work. The next time someone tells you that, please ask them to explain how that would even work, and then please enlighten everyone else here so we'll know.

thanks,
nuke

For all practical purposes, in the Unites States, gas is gas until the additives are mixed at the distribution point. Gas comes from a small handful of refineries and is either piped underground or truck delivered to distribution depots. It comes in regular and premium and is mixed with either branded or un-branded additives while it's loaded onto the tanker delivery truck. Federal law requires a certain level of cleanliness and additives. Top tier gas adds additives above what is minimally required. Local gas stations also filter the fuel as it comes out of the pump.

A great deal of eye-opening info is found here. Visit this thread by a guy who drives the deliver tanker: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5166791/fuel-tanker-driver-here

Many years ago the VOLVO company suggest this. In their opinion, there was enough differences in the types of cleaning additives that it was prudent to keep switching gasoline to get the best overall cleaning. Don't know if it's relevant in today's market. Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
Many years ago the VOLVO company suggest this. In their opinion, there was enough differences in the types of cleaning additives that it was prudent to keep switching gasoline to get the best overall cleaning. Don't know if it's relevant in today's market. Ed

That's pretty funny... I've been running BJ's unbranded gas exclusively in my S70 for the past 14 years (probably 200k miles), no issues with clogged injectors, carbon build up, or anything really.

Hmm. not sure. I think that was more relevant in the past when automakers started adding direct injection along with the increased fuel pressures. As long as you stick with busy stations you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Nice, i hadn't seen that thread from the delivery driver. that's great info.

But to the OP...There isn't much difference in additives (amount/type) among top tier, especially at regular octane.
Shell premium (93 octane) does seem to have a very high additive level, but if your vehicle doesn't call for it adding a PEA additive every so often would be more beneficial.
If you believe marketing, you might be led to believe Shell and Exxon are leaders in the field.
And if there was there wouldn't be anyway to know brand X is significantly different than brand Y. So, you're playing a guessing game at best.

Originally Posted by Donald
Use Top Tier and worry about something else like how the Yankees are doing.

Or the Red Sox
lol.gif

While Top Tier doesn't state what kind and combination of detergents (PIBA/PEA/PIB) must be used in order to be certified TT, the fuel must pass a series of performance tests that demonstrate specified levels of deposit control on intake valves; fuel injectors; combustion chambers and prevention of intake-valve sticking.

So no matter where you purchase your fuel (Shell v. Chevron), if it's TT certified, you can be assured it meets the same minimum level of quality/performance as specified by TT. Can a fuel exceed TT requirements, sure. But that's up to the individual fuel producer.

Last edited:
This must be akin to girls rotating among several types/brands of shampoo.

The theory was that the differing formulae hit the dirt and grease from different angles.

Thus it was better for your hair.

People on this board do say different brand oils "team up" to make the insides of our engines cleaner so it must be true.

In my own experience, changing brands worked. My '13 Avalon hybrid, after 5 years of using Shell gas, started getting about 7 MPG less mileage in local driving. Changed to a tank of Chevron and the mileage loss went away. Something got cleaned.

Originally Posted by ffhdriver
In my own experience, changing brands worked. My '13 Avalon hybrid, after 5 years of using Shell gas, started getting about 7 MPG less mileage in local driving. Changed to a tank of Chevron and the mileage loss went away. Something got cleaned.

It's the power of Techron!.. one of, if not the best, branded cleaners IMO. Dunno what's in it (gobs of PEA??) but it works.

Last edited:
It might have been something with merit years ago, but today I'd think it doesn't matter. The quality and testing of detergent additives is so much better. Fuel is also a commodity with extremely tight standards. Who wants it known that they're cheating on industry standard requirements?

Originally Posted by ffhdriver

Huh?

So the...

Even still...

But how could...

N/m...im going to get myself some Chevron gas

Originally Posted by Davejam
7MPG difference? That's absurd.
No just the truth, average mileage dropped from 35 to 28.

Last edited:
I buy from no brand stations. Around here they purchase the end of loads to typically top tier gasoline from trucks not wanting to return back to Boston partially full.

In driving vehicles into 200k range never once a fuel related problem in 30 years driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back