For Fun: Boutique vs Major

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states this is just for fun and hypothetical. Friendly debate is encouraged.

Part A:
In your daily driver diesel would you rather run a Boutique brand oil for 1 year/15k miles or a Major brand oil for 4 months/5k miles for a year?

Part B:
What if sump capacity was 3 gallons and oils were Redline 15w40 or Rotella T6 15w40?

@DNewton you may participate but no Buzz Kill "dino at manufacturer or longer interval" response.
lol.gif

I choose a Boutique oil for 1yr/15miles. Changed in late Spring or early Summer before my families towing/camping season starts.

Reason is to have thicker oil during the hot towing season and thinner oil during the snowy Tahoe winters and because 3 gallons of Redline 15w40 is $130 and 3 gallons of Rotella T6 15w40 is $60 (or $180 for the year).

My specific engine is a VM Motori 3.0L turbo diesel.

Why can't I just run Super Tech 15w40 in everything for 5k OCI, or heck, up the ante and run it for the manufacturer recommendation for oil change interval?

I enjoy changing oil, I'll take the cheapest name brand synthetic with the approvals and/or specification and change every 6k/6months.

Neither makes sense to me … diesels don't need boutiques and not the typical T6 fan … for sure not in 15w40 where there is already $12/gallon oil made from GII+ and little VM …

It's funny to me because the one response you don't want here is actually the right one. If you want the debate between the two alternatively higher priced alternatives, I'd go with changing Rotella out multiple times, I suppose.

Can I pick T6 5W40 since I just got 5 gallons from AZ for $25 AR? I like Red Line, it's just too expensive for what you get, especially in an older diesel that goes through it.

Is Red Line going to last 3x as long as T6? I doubt it. Both will load up with ash and diesel fuel.

I haven't seen an advantage in running syn oil in diesels other than for below freezing starting. I do a once a year oil change in my diesel tractor for the only reason of unaided below freezing starts in the wintertime to move the horse the poop or snow removal. If it weren't for the below freezing starts I would run 15W-40 Delo or Rotella etc as they are superior. I have seen the insides of many, many gasoline, propane and diesel with very high miles or hours engines at work for anyone to tell me boutique oil have benefits commensurate with their cost .

I just can't bring myself to spend $48 per gallon on a boutique diesel oil when I know the RT6 I get at Walmart for $21/gallon every day can go 30,000+ miles. I have years of UOA's to back me up. And lately I have been spiking the weak-sauce CK4 RT6 with Redline Break-In additive, which brings up the cost of the RT6 to $23 per gallon.

No boutique oil here,
2011 LML Duramax gets a 1/year oil change 14-16,000 miles and the UOA's are all good.
Mobil Delvac 0w-40.

Anotherthing,,, If the botique oils were of any advantage the trucking and marine industry would run the Boutique oils in their $50,000.00 + diesel engines

There are probably not a small number of OTR companies running Schaeffer or Lubrication Engineers. Are they counted as boutique?

Originally Posted by wensteph
There are probably not a small number of OTR companies running Schaeffer or Lubrication Engineers. Are they counted as boutique?

My opinion is that these two companies are not boutique. I see them as industrial lubricant companies that also sell motor oil

Originally Posted by CT8
Anotherthing,,, If the botique oils were of any advantage the trucking and marine industry would run the Boutique oils in their $50,000.00 + diesel engines

Really good post CT8... Exactly right in my opinion.

Specification! If oil is approved against specification=yes.
I used in BMW X5 35d Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30, and Valvoline 5W40 MST and BMW TPT 5W30. All oils performed exceptionally well, with Mobil1 having fewest DPF regens.
Boutique oil? If approved yes, but usually they are not.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
As the title states this is just for fun and hypothetical. Friendly debate is encouraged.

Part A:
In your daily driver diesel would you rather run a Boutique brand oil for 1 year/15k miles or a Major brand oil for 4 months/5k miles for a year?

Part B:
What if sump capacity was 3 gallons and oils were Redline 15w40 or Rotella T6 15w40?

@DNewton you may participate but no Buzz Kill "dino at manufacturer or longer interval" response.
lol.gif

Well if I am not allowed to bring reality and facts into this, I choose option C ... Super expensive boutique oils changed every 3k miles.
I mean, if we're going to ignore tons of data and eschew logic, why not go "all in"?
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back