'16 Honda Pilot, 5,130mi, 0w20 lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone can guess what lubricant has been used for this OCI? MM has gone down to pretty much 0, lots of short tripping in hot TX summer. Fire away your thoughts!

Obviously, I'm referring to row #5.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Looks like the moly level of QSUD.

My first thought as well. This looks like text book QSUD (so watch it not be
lol.gif
).

I would guess Amsoil Signature Series. The calcium level is a bit higher than most SN+ oils.

Nice consistent results with metals dropping as the engine ages. All the previous samples were good too.

JAG and Critic are correct. One can say it was a waste to run that oil for such a short interval and I would agree. Back to 12$ rebated pennzoil lol

If it is QSUD is it possible to still find SN rated QSUD? (Not SN+) that has only calcium (no magnesium)?

Off-topic, but those are truly excellent fuel dilution results for a Honda DI engine.

this time around, I've taken the car for 40mi highway run prior to draining the oil and taking a sample. not sure if this has contributed. although it looks like Amsoil held up the best as far as viscosity goes (previous samples were mobil 1 and pennzoil).

Last edited:
nope, this is Amsoil. the only parameter to tell is oxidation. the rest looks so similar to all other D1G2 oils.

So, this was the longest OCI of the five, but has lowest wear metals, highest moly, highest vis, and best TBN.
If your goal is to prevent engine wear, why wouldn't you continue using the Amsoil SS?
Just wondering.

I honestly think wear metals were gradually dropping down due to engine breaking in. From now on I'm quite certain wear numbers won't look much different no matter what oil I run. I've put pennzoil back in and will run it for the same mileage and do another UOA and see what it looks like.

Another driver for the change is of course the price. 12$/jug vs 12$/qt is hard to beat

Originally Posted by parshisa
I honestly think wear metals were gradually dropping down due to engine breaking in. From now on I'm quite certain wear numbers won't look much different no matter what oil I run. I've put pennzoil back in and will run it for the same mileage and do another UOA and see what it looks like.

Another driver for the change is of course the price. 12$/jug vs 12$/qt is hard to beat

Ya I think that's probably right.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Yup, high oxidation due to POA base

It's from esters for sure but not necessarily polyolester (POE), since it could be from diesters, triesters, or some other kind of ester.

I am a bit surprised that the MM was run down almost to zero with such few miles, even with a lot of short trips. Since car-makers have a motivation to advertise less frequent oil changes, I trust that Honda saw bad things happen to the oil during their testing with significantly longer OCIs with many short trips.

I understand why you want to use a less expensive oil if you are going to change oil based on the MM.

Not sure on the MM. on my civic with primarily highway miles it takes 8.5-9K to get it down to 0.

And yes, amsoil in general is kind of a waste of money and especially on such a short intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back