Any demolition derby fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife and I went to one at the county fair last night, I had never seen one. It was surprisingly entertaining. Started with some compact cars, then some midsized cars, some compact pickups and minivans, and some full-sized cars. Had a big muddy pit they competed in, and fleet of tractors and a front end loader to haul out the dead ones. I couldn't identify some vehicles as they had already had their exteriors pretty well stripped, but in the pickup/minivan heat I made out an 80s Chrysler minivan, a 90s Chrysler minivan, and a 90s Chevy Blazer. The 90s Chrysler minivan won; he had a good strategy of backing into others with his massive rear and disabling them. The Blazer fared pretty well, and we thought it was done when the minivan broke off one of his rear wheels. I guess he must have had limited slip or locked diff because he kept moving with his rear hub hanging out in air until his radiator got punctured and it overheated.

So a couple things I noticed that had me scratching my head. It looked like many of these vehicles had tiny rear tires, either donut spares or what appeared to be lawn tractor tires. I suppose since many were front wheel drive and they are in mud they aren't useful for much, but is that to make a smaller target or just a cheap way of avoiding a full tire? Also, they seemed to have no suspension, they didn't "bounce" or compress. Almost like they either had really stiff springs or they were fixed in position. Any idea why?

It was interesting seeing all the possible failure modes though; broken struts, broken tie rods, punctured radiators, a couple actually caught fire, broken or missing wheels, tires that finally popped and eventually got torn off the rims. After one had his radiator hemorrhaging coolant, his engine soon died with a shower of sparks out the exhaust. One heat had to be called off when the couple remaining were doing a good job of evading each other or just barely tapping each other (much booing from the crowd), but when they finally collided, their bumpers got stuck together.

I did a couple years as pit and some fabrication on a rolling demolition. My buddy drove and I ran the pits. It was a race with hit to pass. We built a 1974 New Yorker with a big block. Lots or work and lots of run.

It was a lot of fun and lots of work to build the car. Good times, think it was 2001 and 2002 in Regina.

Used to go to these growing up in the early sixties in South Dakota. Remember holding onto my first car ('53 Mercury) for a few weeks before getting rid of it out of fear that it would die a violent death in an upcoming derby.

Nah, I got all that out of my system yrs ago. Latest tidbit in conversation with my brother is that his SIL, an otherwise very staid and modest lady is a demo-derby freak.
grin2.gif

PS my first car was a '53 Ford. There were several 53 Mercs in the neighborhood.

There is a strategy behind making ones struts very stiff-- typically by welding them.

Surprised they allow antifreeze. Local short track makes them run water.

My track does "everything but" a demolition derby, which naturally occurs anyway.

One of the best were the "train races" (3 cars linked together) on a figure 8 track.

Cajon Speedway "the fastest 3/8 mile track on the West Coast"

Last edited:
They banned Humber Super Snipes at our local dirttrack....they could take everything out, and still drive home after.

I ran in one several years ago at the local fairgrounds. I had an old Oldsmobile and I did pretty well. The impact is much harder and violent than it looks when you are watching. It's a chiropractor's dream.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I have access to a '65 Chrysler....the ultimate derby car. Hmmmmmm

I think some derby rules ban the Chrysler Imperial, so check before you tear one up!

I used to work on cars with a guy who had a derby team in the 1980s. He said they usually ran Mopars because the big GM boats folded up too easily.

It seems like you can put as many hours into a derby car as you can a race car. They welded all the doors shut with wire, used low gears (like 5.13) when they could, and moved the gas tank and trans cooler inside the car. I also remember him talking about relocating the shifter--so a column shifter wouldn't bind up after a hit--and putting mothballs in the fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back