Nissan Corp falling off a cliff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While many still remain skeptical of Ford's decision to slash their whole car lineup, slowly it looks like other brands are following suit with the same transition. Would imagine its only a matter of time before we see the Altima or Maxima on the chopping block.

What WAS Nissan known for? Cheap, affordable entry level vehicles. and outdated, basic off road designs.

Now I'm reading Nissan wants to "upscale" their Sedans!!!! Yeah, like that will work.....

Meanwhile Nissan treats their suppliers like dog food. Serious changes need to happen, the Japanese need to grow some balls and bring this company back roaring!

Hint: build SOME cars (japan design) in the U.S. using U.S. suppliers and don't be dinking around every 6 months for a price reduction. Upscale means U.S./Canada/Japan/Germany built cars.

Last edited:
Hyundai ate their lunch in the NA market. They were always the cheaper Japanese brand along with Subaru, but Subaru upped their quality and forged a new identity as a safe reliable family car with AWD. They also have legit performance cars like the WRX and BRZ that are more accessible than the GT-R or 370z.

Nissan just made flashy cars that were cheaper than Honda or Toyota for too long and that became their identity. When the Koreans showed up and did the same thing, but better what market was left for Nissan? Try to take on the Americans with the Titan XD? Cheap Nissan Micras?

They had pretty sweet designs with the G35 and Murano, but they never did anything with that momentum. They ignored NA for too long, and their competition took advantage of that.

I don't think anyone cared about their style or outdated truck platforms- what killed Nissan was the reliability nosedive they took in the mid-2000's and never could get right. They were the first to really bring CVT to the automotive market and it nearly singlehandedly killed CVTs for every other brand, its reliability and subsequent reputation was so bad. Nissan's reliability is so poor that the Maxima has pretty much gone unnoticed despite being one of the best large sedans on the market (that may be due to simply the lack of options, but I will stand by this statement). The redesign in 2016 is one of the best looking sedans on the market today, both inside and out, yet no one cares because no one wants to saddle themselves with Nissan's horrible reliability- even if the Maxima is actually pretty solid in terms of reliability.

This is what the modern consumer cares about, unless you're a domestic (and offer 25% off MSRP on the regular) or have a warranty longer than what most people even keep their cars for (the fact that their warranty is the same duration as Toyota's is absolutely laughable). That's also why Hyundai/Kia have carved out the market that they have, and why one of my family members who's only bought Maximas since the early 90's just purchased a Camry this year instead. Nissan did this to themselves and it had nothing to do with the price of their cars or their styling. It's primarily due to the fact that the only thing that's reliable about the brand is that the CVT will fail both inside and outside of warranty and that somewhere, not too far from you now, there's a mid-to-late 2000's Nissan throwing a CEL for a bad knock sensor.

Take a look at how reliable Nissan models have been since 2002.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Nissan.html

Their decline has been unavoidable. Nissan married the CVT technology to millions of their cars without first refining it. Then they went on an extreme cost cutting spree to remain competitive. When vehicles can't endure once they hit six-digits on their odometer you begin to get a bad reputation in the marketplace.

There were ads in the sports section of my local paper, buy at X price, come in & pick it up, finance only through Nissan NA Finance, blah blah blah.
The small print was hilarious, but I guess the point was to get people into a new car at a $199/month payment or lease. No test drive allowed. : O
It was apparent 24-30 months ago when these print ads came out that there was something very wrong happening.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I don't think anyone cared about their style or outdated truck platforms- what killed Nissan was the reliability nosedive they took in the mid-2000's and never could get right. They were the first to really bring CVT to the automotive market and it nearly singlehandedly killed CVTs for every other brand, its reliability and subsequent reputation was so bad. Nissan's reliability is so poor that the Maxima has pretty much gone unnoticed despite being one of the best large sedans on the market (that may be due to simply the lack of options, but I will stand by this statement). The redesign in 2016 is one of the best looking sedans on the market today, both inside and out, yet no one cares because no one wants to saddle themselves with Nissan's horrible reliability- even if the Maxima is actually pretty solid in terms of reliability.

This is what the modern consumer cares about, unless you're a domestic (and offer 25% off MSRP on the regular) or have a warranty longer than what most people even keep their cars for (the fact that their warranty is the same duration as Toyota's is absolutely laughable). That's also why Hyundai/Kia have carved out the market that they have, and why one of my family members who's only bought Maximas since the early 90's just purchased a Camry this year instead. Nissan did this to themselves and it had nothing to do with the price of their cars or their styling. It's primarily due to the fact that the only thing that's reliable about the brand is that the CVT will fail both inside and outside of warranty and that somewhere, not too far from you now, there's a mid-to-late 2000's Nissan throwing a CEL for a bad knock sensor.
You left out the Xterra strawberry milkshakes and the Sentra Spec V precat digestion. I totally forgot about the CVT.

An old roommate of mine had a Spec V and had to swap the mill due to the precats. His buddy had an Altima or something that came with a factory LSD, which surprised me.

Longest lived engine I ever personally owned was a 4 cylinder fuel injected, 2 plugs per cylinder, California emission, 1980 200sx. That car also had 4 wheel disc brakes. Fast, economical, handled well. Wish I could buy another one new. Driven to the pick and pull when it could no longer pass emissions. Had North of 400,000 miles on the odometer. Tires, brakes, ignition components and a couple clutches besides twice a year oil changes with whatever I could buy cheapest. Great car! Sad news. Hope they come around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
And this is the company now saddled with trying to save Mitsubishi?

That is a soap opera all in itself. Nissan was the one who reported Mitsubishi to the authorities on the fuel economy cheating. Mitsubishi stock plummeted and Nissan swooped in and bought a huge chunk.

The old hardbody pickups were pretty indestructible. My best friend's sister had a 1994 Sentra through high school and college that ran great despite next to no maintenance. They used to be a pretty reliable but slightly less expensive alternative to Toyota and Honda. I like my Frontier and if I needed a half ton I would strongly consider a Titan. Aside from that I wouldn't trust the reliability of the rest of their lineup. I hope they get it together sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back