How much vitamin loss when cooking foods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I *think* this is an accurate statement - cooked foods will lose their vitamin nutritional value, but they don't lose minerals?...is that correct?

How *much* vitamin loss depends on what method they're cooked with and for how long, etc.?

My basic question is...is there a way to know how much of the vitamin nutritional value is lost? Is there any online reference that might address this topic?

Thank you,
Ed

Sometimes cooking the vegetables makes it possible for the nutrients to be absorbed by our bodies.

So there is no blanket answer for cooked versus raw determination.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Sometimes cooking the vegetables makes it possible for the nutrients to be absorbed by our bodies.

Absolutely correct. And the OP asked about "vitamin nutritional value", vitamin availability and "nutrition" are not the same things. Cooking foods will break down cellular walls and permit the absorption of certain nutrients, most Americans are not vitamin deficient (neither are the foods) so overall it can be quite beneficial to cook something rather than eating it raw.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

Bingo-bango!
thumbsup2.gif

Not all nutrients are lost when cooking. Some are enhanced thru the heating process (and also easier to absorb into the body).

Originally Posted by kschachn
Cooking some foods will break down cellular walls and permit the absorption of certain nutrients

True, but as we age the ability to absorb those nutrients decreases.

This is determined by the amount (and type) of enzymes in your digestive system.
Which is why it's beneficial to regularly supplement your diet with active enzymes, to assist in the breaking down and absorption process.

If you pressure-cook them there is no loss (so I've read) and as others have said cooking allow your body to absorb vitamins & minerals.

Originally Posted by Pelican
If you pressure-cook them there is no loss (so I've read)

That cannot be correct. The reason some vitamins degrade is that they are heat sensitive and pressure cooking is at a higher temperature than atmospheric boiling. Time @ temperature is also a factor but it can't be that there's "no loss", that's just not possible.

That cannot be correct. The reason some vitamins degrade is that they are heat sensitive and pressure cooking is at a higher temperature than atmospheric boiling. Time @ temperature is also a factor but it can't be that there's "no loss", that's just not possible.

If I remember correctly, they were saying that because there was no evaporation all the goodness stayed in.

If I remember correctly, they were saying that because there was no evaporation all the goodness stayed in.

Ya but, even pressure cookers have something equivalent to a blow off valve which DOES vent the pressure out.
Thereby allowing cooking vapors to release (similar to a pot on the stove, but at a higher pressure).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back