Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30, 5,125 miles in a 2018 Nissan Frontier V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is how Rotella Gas Truck did in my Nissan. This is the last one for the truck. Traded it on a new 2019 JLU Wrangler.

img074 (Large).jpg

Nice numbers except for the viscosity. Was there problems with the truck or did you just want the Jeep?

Rotella Rubicon does not come out until 2021. That leaves normal options in the meantime.

Why is viscosity an issue? It is within range of 30 grade.

Originally Posted by CT8
Nice numbers except for the viscosity. Was there problems with the truck or did you just want the Jeep?

Originally Posted by CT8

Basically just wanted another Jeep. I had my JKU for 10 years and missed it. I'm really liking this JLU so far. I've already taken it places I wouldn't consider taking the Frontier.

I noticed the viscosity. My previous oil was PP 5W-30 and that viscosity was on the low side. I don't know if the VQ40DE engine is supposed to be rough on oil.

Here are some oil properties from VOA's assembled from this forum. The Kv100 for Rotella Gas Truck in its VOA was over 11. The UOA shows 9.57, still fine for a 5w30 but evidently is did shear down a bit. Notice the moly is 149. RGT is known for high moly.
smile.gif

AFC83BE3-0D63-4186-A501-8265185D64CE.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here are some oil properties from VOA's assembled from this forum. The Kv100 for Rotella Gas Truck in its VOA was over 11. The UOA shows 9.57, still fine for a 5w30 but evidently is did shear down a bit. Notice the moly is 149. RGT is known for high moly.
smile.gif

Which would indicate what, that RGT uses a fair amount of VII's and/or the (that) engine really beats up an oil???

I'll be running RGT 5W30 for my winter fill on my '05 Outback. I've got 10W30 Delo XLE in it now and will change to the RGT in about 900 miles. It won't have a UOA obviously until spring but it will show us two views of an engine known to be tough on oil (Subaru EJ25). Just based on the three VOAs I had done on all the grades of RGT, I was not overly impressed on paper.

For the vast majority of UOA posted on here no one knows whether a viscosity deviation is due to mechanical shear or fuel dilution. A Blackstone type analysis cannot distinguish between the two, and they can't reliably measure fuel dilution with their method. So a lot of the comments about the VII shearing cannot be substantiated.

Originally Posted by kschachn
For the vast majority of UOA posted on here no one knows whether a viscosity deviation is due to mechanical shear or fuel dilution. A Blackstone type analysis cannot distinguish between the two, and they can't reliably measure fuel dilution with their method. So a lot of the comments about the VII shearing cannot be substantiated.

Here in the next few weeks I'll be posting my RGT Polaris UOA from my 3.5 EB, which should be full of shear and fuel dilution ...‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back