penrite HPR5 5w-40 vs Castrol Edge 5w-30 in Aust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fello bitog's. Please humour me.

I'm currently running Penrite HPR5 which is a group III. What are your thoughts on this opposed to Castrol Edge 5w-30 which is also also MB229.5 approved and A3/B4 approved. The Edge boasts Titanium FST. Is this anything? Is it also a group III?

Assuming both are as easy to source, the same price and being used in a Merc E55, what's the difference?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Zip. If someone comes on here and tries to tell you there is a substantive difference between those two oils which carry the same approval, then they are making it up.

As an aside A3/B4 is not technically an approval it is a standard.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Zip. If someone comes on here and tries to tell you there is a substantive difference between those two oils which carry the same approval, then they are making it up.

True. But not the bitog discussion i was trying to trigger...
There are also other questions on my original post.

Last edited:
Thanks kschachn for shooting my genuine oil related question down in flames. Top bloke!

To the Aussies here (not you bloke), supercheap regularly has the Castrol 5w-30 on special (half price). I'm not sure about their basestock and if anyone can chime in on that it would be greatly appreciated. Nor am I sure about the marketing 'titanium'. Is that really a thing or just marketing rubbish?

I've been using the HPR 5 for 2 reasons, slightly higher operating viscosity and it's Australian.

Car is street driven with adhoc WOT and high revs and the rare trackday.

Any constructive input is appreciated.

Cheers.

It would probably be easier to compare oils of the same viscosity as the specs are then more comparable.

HTHS is fairly different. One other noticeable difference is LL-01. Edge 5w-30 A3/B4 has been revised to meet the latest LL-01. I do not think HPR 5 meets this.

For our friends around the globe, the specs are below

Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 Full Synthetic
It's rated API SL (high ZDDP, but passes SN tests), ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502/505.
Noack volatility below 10%, Zinc around 1000 ppm, HTHS = 3.6 cP and TBN is 10.2

Penrite HPR-5 (5W40) Full Synthetic
API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, Porsche A40, VW 502/505
KV100 = 14.4 cSt, TBN = 10.4 , Zinc = 1240 ppm, SA = 1.28 %, Noack below 10%

The Penrite and the Castrol have OEM MB 229.5 approval and are listed on the Bevo web site.

Both would be a great oil, I'm always torn between Castrol and Penrite. Both would be Group III synthetics.

The Penrite has more ZDDP more HTHS and is Aussie made, but some of their claims are "performance level".

The Castrol probably has a lower polymer VII load, and all it's specs would be fully factory approved. From my youth I recall Castrol being a big sponsor of motor sports in Australia, Penrite too nowadays, but Castrol was the big sponsor decades ago in the local racing scene.

Hmmmmm.....trick question

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
, I'm always torn between Castrol and Penrite. Both would be Group III synthetics.

Me too - Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 is the oil I judge all others by, and Penrite is always matching up to it somewhere.

We should add one more oil to the list, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, it's a full GTL synthetic.

Fully synthetic motor oil - Shell's most advanced formulation for high-performance engines.

Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Porsche A40; Renault RN0700, RN0710; PSA B71 2296, Ferrari. Meets the requirements of Fiat 9.55535-Z2 and Chrysler MS-10725

It's arguably the best oil Shell makes with all its global resources behind it, and quite affordable in Australia. I've purchased it in a box of three (3 x 5L) from a wholesaler and it was very well priced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silk
Originally Posted by SR5
, I'm always torn between Castrol and Penrite. Both would be Group III synthetics.

Me too - Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 is the oil I judge all others by, and Penrite is always matching up to it somewhere.

Both of these oils can be had at a real bargain of up to 50% off if you find it at the right time. Both Supercheap and Autobarn have their promotions. Interestingly I heard that Penrite will cease supplying in 5 l containers. They have 6 (supercheap only) and 10 L containers and have recently introduced 7 l containers.

[Linked Image]

I got bored last week thinking of the A5/B5 called for by my cars or a stronger A3/B4. Some numbers might be a little off/old depending on age of PDS I could find.

Atlantic on there because the old PDS for Nitro R 5w30 (or 40) showed some great numbers but I can't find a new PDS with numbers for the current oil.

Anyway incase there's any interest.

*Edit - forgot I did have a price column but a lot of them you can get at $6-7/L on special or in the case of Valvoline 20L drum at Supercheapauto is good day to day value for my Synpower FE not on special.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dirtydannyd
Hello fello bitog's. Please humour me.

I'm currently running Penrite HPR5 which is a group III. What are your thoughts on this opposed to Castrol Edge 5w-30 which is also also MB229.5 approved and A3/B4 approved. The Edge boasts Titanium FST. Is this anything? Is it also a group III?

Assuming both are as easy to source, the same price and being used in a Merc E55, what's the difference?

Cheers.

Penrite ain't a bad oil but its not a GREAT oil - heaps of examples where ppl use it and get dirty buildup in their engine (check out the discussions on the LS1 forums).

Imo you can't go past SHELL HELIX ULTRA 5w40 for a top grade synthetic for Mercs
19.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back