Fram Extra Gaurd Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was picking up some oil filters for my Duratec 3.0 as I want to do a gentle long-term flush with seafoam in the coming weeks once I've sorted out the rocker cover and sump gaskets, vacuum leaks and replaced the PCV valve.

Ford wanted £15 for a Motocraft FL 820S which I wasn't paying so I popped to my local Euro Car Parts yesterday and they had one of my usual MANN filters there so I picked one up and a second Fram filter.

Usually the Fram filters we get in the UK are made in France and completely different to the offerings over in the US. I was surprised then to get an American box handed to me. What's interesting is that for the last 30 years Ford has specified 12,000mile or 12 month OCI's, recently stretched to 18,000miles or 12 year, yet this 'OEM' filter is apparently only good for 5,000miles. :lol:

Also surprising, the Fram filter weights about half of what the MANN filter did, even with the thick rubbery coating on the end.

It will only be on the car for 300-500miles, I was just wondering what the general consensus of them was?

2.jpg

1.jpg

The extra guard is a good filter. Fine for what you are doing.

I'm sure filter prices on that side of the pond are crazy. What are the shipping costs for filters on Rockauto?

For instance I purchased 6 Fram Ultras for my two vehicles and it cost me $14 for shipping to Canada. Filters were just over $10 each. The same filters at Canadian Tire are $15.99 on sale before taxes.

The EG filters are good units. They are not everyone's favorite, due to some specific construction attributes. But they will do just fine for your intended use.
Curious if that sample you have has the silicone ADBV??? Or is it an older version that just made it across the pond?

Originally Posted by JC1

I'm sure filter prices on that side of the pond are crazy. What are the shipping costs for filters on Rockauto?

For instance I purchased 6 Fram Ultras for my two vehicles and it cost me $14 for shipping to Canada. Filters were just over $10 each. The same filters at Canadian Tire are $15.99 on sale before taxes.

Rock Auto will sell me the Fram Extra Gaurd PH2 for £2.91. Shipping £8.01 in postage and 20% tax ontop of that comes in at £13.10.

This filter cost me £5.19 and the MANN equivalent cost me £5.80.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
The EG filters are good units. They are not everyone's favorite, due to some specific construction attributes. But they will do just fine for your intended use.
Curious if that sample you have has the silicone ADBV??? Or is it an older version that just made it across the pond?

I must admit, I have no idea how to tell what the ADBV is made of, hope you can tell by this picture...

1.jpg

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Originally Posted by JC1

Rock Auto will sell me the Fram Extra Gaurd PH2 for £2.91. Shipping £8.01 in postage and 20% tax ontop of that comes in at £13.10.

This filter cost me £5.19 and the MANN equivalent cost me £5.80.

Originally Posted by dnewton3

I must admit, I have no idea how to tell what the ADBV is made of, hope you can tell by this picture...

That is the nitrile rubber (older style) ADBV the newer silicon one is a similar orange to the can. No harm at all for what you're doing.

Fram has since removed mileage recommendation from the boxes with the shift to the silicone ADBV on these filters and recommend up to the OE specified OCI.

No worries for your usage. They are great filters.

I always appreciated the surface FRAM uses for their filters. If there were a vehicle I owned where I had to get a bit of an awkward angle to install the filter, this FRAM would be right at the top of my list.

Good filter there. Should serve your purpose well. I too love the textured end.

Use the Fram with no worries. The word for it is censored here, but the orange can of joy does work for almost any car. Although, I've had some startup knock happen with one on a Toyota but I've had no problems with the other cars I've used them on.

Folks, the rules are simple, made up names for models and brands of filters aren't going to be used here anymore.

The next time someone bypasses the censor, significant time away will result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back