Thoughts on the 2020 Corolla sedan with the new 2.0 and geared CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Engine braking is more efficient and reduces brake wear. Toyota brakes are very capable contrary to one "opinion" posted previously.

Compared to average in the microwave class, perhaps.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Engine braking is more efficient and reduces brake wear. Toyota brakes are very capable contrary to one "opinion" posted previously.

To be perfectly fair, excluding the Supra and 86, Toyota's line up doesn't inspire the driver to use more than 25% of the throttle or brakes anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

To be perfectly fair, excluding the Supra and 86, Toyota's line up doesn't inspire the driver to use more than 25% of the throttle or brakes anyway.

Generally they have OK stopping power first time, after that it is downhill.

I've seen the new Corolla in the wild and it's not a bad looking sedan IMO. The hatchback version is pretty good looking too and apparently, from some of the reviews I've seen, feels pretty good driving it. So it looks like Toyota's partnership with Mazda is having a positive effect here.

The "hill" we were on was not a steep mountain road, just an average valley road. If I took my foot off the gas (out of CC) the car would have slowed down. So, like I said, I don't know why it zoomed. Maybe Toyota does-or not...And I love Toyotas, since my first 1971 Celica to my 2001 Tacoma and many in between.in our extended Family. I have read the new Tacomas transmissions do the same on CC. Zoom up to 4-5000 just to hold 80 mph on cruise, on a flat road. Up and down, up and down. My 01 never does that.

Originally Posted by rekit
The "hill" we were on was not a steep mountain road, just an average valley road. If I took my foot off the gas (out of CC) the car would have slowed down. So, like I said, I don't know why it zoomed. Maybe Toyota does-or not...And I love Toyotas, since my first 1971 Celica to my 2001 Tacoma and many in between.in our extended Family. I have read the new Tacomas transmissions do the same on CC. Zoom up to 4-5000 just to hold 80 mph on cruise, on a flat road. Up and down, up and down. My 01 never does that.

I've never seen that happen on my parent's Sienna or their LS430. A Prius will go into regen laying off the gas on a hill(and if you put into in B, it will also spin the gas engine with no spark to decelerate and orchestrate the two motor/generators to simulate engine braking).

Could be the CVT was programmed to simulate a stepped AT? I know Toyota made theirs to act like one with the "simulated" 6-8 gears.

Sounds like it was using engine braking going down the hill so as to hold speed. Some cars do that.

I know my Tundra will drop gears (multiple) if I use cruise control. I think the system is slow to respond, so when it does apply throttle, it winds up being aggressive about it. So I generally avoid using it as it gets old, fast.

Originally Posted by badtlc

Software knows you are going downhill so it is trying to help you slow down so you do not overwhelm brakes, which is very easy in Toyota.

that is exactly not what it was doing.

What was it doing? Serious question here.
I drove CVT only as rental, and one will never find its way in my garage, so seriously do not know why would downhill raise rpms?

Our Outback does the same thing while using cruise, raises the rpm to increase engine braking to maintain the cruise speed when going down a hill. Why they do this is another question, I guess its easy to do seamlessly with a CVT. But I want my free MPGs so I bump it out of cruise and let it roll with the engine braking it gets at 1400rpm.

Recently rented one with the smaller engine. It was an acceptable low end car. And not much more can be said about it.

Mpg was 28 with me at the helm in mixed driving. Worse than the V6 impala I had before it.

Interesting that the high end Corolla costa as much as a low end V6 impala. Which is twice the car.

Last edited:
Rented a 2020 Corolla yesterday while in Florida for work. Put about 250 miles on it and averaged 41 mpg. Not a bad car IMO. Our particular car only had 4500 miles on it. It accelerated better than I expected, had plenty of power to pass when needed on I-10 and rode pretty good for a small car. I think it would make an excellent choice for a work car, a college student, or for a young couple starting out.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
Why they do this is another question, I guess its easy to do seamlessly with a CVT. But I want my free MPGs so I bump it out of cruise and let it roll with the engine braking it gets at 1400rpm.

It does it to save the brakes. And you shouldn't be burning any fuel going downhill when engine-braking; the ECU should cut off the fuel injectors.

I really noticed the difference when driving my girlfriend's Civic the other day, which doesn't change down when going downhill.

Originally Posted by emg
Why they do this is another question, I guess its easy to do seamlessly with a CVT. But I want my free MPGs so I bump it out of cruise and let it roll with the engine braking it gets at 1400rpm.

It does it to save the brakes. And you shouldn't be burning any fuel going downhill when engine-braking; the ECU should cut off the fuel injectors.

I really noticed the difference when driving my girlfriend's Civic the other day, which doesn't change down when going downhill.

In manual and dual-clutch yes. In automatic=No. Not sure in CVT.

There's not much reason to burn fuel in an engine when you're using it to brake. Maybe it needs a bit going through to lubricate some parts, but you certainly don't want to be burning fuel to accelerate while engine-braking.

I'm pretty sure the Forester does it because I can see the improvement in MPG when engine-braking to a red light.

Originally Posted by emg

Automatics and CVT's also cut fuel when coasting.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by emg

Automatics and CVT's also cut fuel when coasting.

I did not catch up with that.

Originally Posted by emg

There's not much reason to burn fuel in an engine when you're using it to brake. Maybe it needs a bit going through to lubricate some parts, but you certainly don't want to be burning fuel to accelerate while engine-braking.

I'm pretty sure the Forester does it because I can see the improvement in MPG when engine-braking to a red light.

Yes, I do same with both cars, but as far as I know automatics do not cut fuel completely.

Originally Posted by emg

Yes, I do same with both cars, but as far as I know automatics do not cut fuel completely.

I think the rule is more like passenger cars rarely cut fuel completely. None of the ones I've ever plugged in my scan gauge into, cut fuel at normal rpms while engine braking, only at very high rpms. My Focus would use more fuel with engine braking in 5th gear than at idle in neutral... In 5th it got like 130mpg at 60mph with engine braking and around 190mpg in neutral coasting at 60mph, so coasting in N was alot better... Now SUV's and light trucks are tested to different emission standards where they don't need to keep the cat converter as hot so they seem to cut fuel completely more often. I should put the scangauge on the Outback and see if it really does cut fuel completely, the on board instantaneous gauge says it does with 0L/100km but who knows if its true.

It's too bad in the USA that Toyota refuse to offer the base 1.8L engine car with a manual transmission like they do in Canada. There you can get the base car with
manual transmission for a very low price. I hope that Toyota USA will change their mind next year because that inability to get the base with manual gearbox is a
total deal breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back