are ebay cell phone batteries a gamble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to change the battery in my one plus 3 . one plus no longer supports it. ebay has chinese batteries . so what has your expereince with ebay cell phone batteries been?

Can you just open the case and pop in new battery? Or must the case be taken apart to replace the battery?

I opted for OEM batteries off Amazon.

Mine was a Nexus 6 and difficult to take apart. I bought a cheap set of cell phone tools on Amazon.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i want to change the battery in my one plus 3 . one plus no longer supports it. ebay has chinese batteries . so what has your expereince with ebay cell phone batteries been?

They are hit or miss. Lots of fakes out there. Even if it's a fake though, it will probably last a few months before it gets as bad as before and you have to get another one. Just keep the replacement instructions handy. Or you get tired of the phone and get a new one on Black Friday. But at least the replacement will carry you through til then.

Originally Posted by Donald
Can you just open the case and pop in new battery? Or must the case be taken apart to replace the battery?

Mine was a Nexus 6 and difficult to take apart. I bought a cheap set of cell phone tools on Amazon.

had it apart to change the power button. not too hard. yeah i see the ones on amazon ,but how does one know if those are real. they look just like the ones on ebay.

No way to know sadly. I've bought batteries where the seller said they were "brand new" and "OEM" and when they arrived, they looked brand new and they had the proper name (Samsung), part numbers, FCC details, and so on ..... and the dying battery that I had to replace lasted longer than this supposed brand new one. I've gotten others that weren't that bad but they definitely weren't as good as they should have been.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by Donald

had it apart to change the power button. not too hard. yeah i see the ones on amazon ,but how does one know if those are real. they look just like the ones on ebay.

May require a bit of detective work. Usually the fakes have slightly different labels than the OEM ones. Check yours and see what the replacements look like. Other than that, there's no real way to tell, you could try just buying from whoever sells the most on the theory that the fakers don't have too many reviews because after a few months, there may be bad reviews because the replacements have started to fail.

I replaced a battery in a Samsung Galaxy S3 when my phone didn't seem to be holding a charge. I ordered a new battery off Ebay, & it looked identical, & brand new. I replaced it into my phone, & didn't seem to resolve issues, so not sure if I received a bad battery, or the phone was just acting up, & draining it. I ended up replacing the phone shortly after, & still on the same Galaxy S7

Heh, the story I posted above was about my S3 as well. I'm convinced the battery was used and they just cloned/copied an OEM Samsung sticker, printed them, and slapped them on used battery packs....

The cells came be made in different countries. Japanese cells are considered top-notch. The final packaged assemblies are normally done in China.

My experience on eBay and amazon is totally random what they send despite what they say in description for cell phone and laptop batteries.

Many fakes out there but you can get lucky and buy old inventory of OEM batteries.

If buying from Amazon, read the reviews that mention the seller. Even these may be fake, but reviews of products from the same listing but a different seller are useless.

On eBay remember any feedback below 99.7% is awful. Pay more for the better seller and you will get a better battery, or at least better service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back