Ford 7.3 fuel. Is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is 4,000 miles on my 7.3. Is fuel dilution a problem here? Viscosity is low but this thing shears oil. Boron and potassium is left over from archoil

77E89B22-6595-49D2-94A4-2D609695320A.png

Last edited:
Viscosity dropped to a 30 grade, wear #'s look OK. There's a lot of fuel going into the oil though. I would look into a possible problem with the injectors.

The 7.3 don't shear oil I owned one a 2002. The fuel shouldn't be so high.

Originally Posted by jfairchild327
I just wonder if they are reading the viscosity and getting a false reading or are they actually measuring fuel

They are doing it by gas chromatography so they actually measured the fuel.

You have the record for fuel dilution that I have seen in a UOA on BITOG.
5.3% in only 4000 miles. Needs to be dealt with.

Injector o rings may be the first place to look.

A black fuel filter is a typical sign of blown injector o rings, but not always.

Originally Posted by A_Harman

Nope. I do. I had 10 percent, actually it was more, but that's the cutoff in which they quit measuring.

When you suspect something is wrong, it's always nice to have a second sample. However, you'd have to have pulled it at the time. I learned this long ago; I always pull two samples so in case one gets lost or questions arise ...
That being said, it's likely that the fuel count is correct here given the method they use to assess.
Probably a leaking injector or injector o-rings.
Overall, the UOA shows no ill effects from the fuel concentration, but I'd not let that be a reason to ignore the issue.

BTW - the 7.3L will shear oil; it's still HEUI. It just won't shear it as quickly at the 6.0L because the 7.3L uses a different style of injector. The 7.3L only uses the oil pressure to actuate the intensifier for the injection event and subsequently uses a spring for the return stroke, whereas the 6.0L uses oil pressure on both sides to actuate the plunger. Hence the 6.0L uses the oil twice as much for the HEUI events. The 6.0L also is capable of more injection events per cycle, as the return spring system was deemed too slow. So the 6.0L will shear oil more quickly than a 7.3L. But make no mistake; a 7.3L will shear oil given time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by A_Harman

Nope. I do. I had 10 percent, actually it was more, but that's the cutoff in which they quit measuring.

Wow. Was that on your Cummins 6.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back