Rutger Hauer has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps not my favorite actor, but still a very good one, and an iconic one... and one who has left an indelible mark on cinema as Roy Batty in Blade Runner.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die."

I don't think anyone familiar with that movie can think of it without immediately thinking of his character, and the speech he gives at the end. Many people also do not know that he is responsible for it. The speech, as it was written for him initially, was quite different, and he stayed up the night before it was shot and completely rewrote it himself. The speech he gives in the movie is FAR better than what they initially gave him.

Rest in peace, Mr. Hauer.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/rutger-hauer-dead-dies-blade-runner-co-star-1203278050/

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
His performance in the Hitcher was really good. Good all around actor...

This was the first movie I ever saw him in. He did such an amazing job as the bad guy.

I also enjoyed him in "Blind Rage".. although it was a fairly cheesy 80's movie.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Perhaps not my favorite actor, but still a very good one, and an iconic one... and one who has left an indelible mark on cinema as Roy Batty in Blade Runner.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die."
I don't think anyone familiar with that movie can think of it without immediately thinking of his character, and the speech he gives at the end. Many people also do not know that he is responsible for it. The speech, as it was written for him initially, was quite different, and he stayed up the night before it was shot and completely rewrote it himself. The speech he gives in the movie is FAR better than what they initially gave him.
Rest in peace, Mr. Hauer.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/rutger-hauer-dead-dies-blade-runner-co-star-1203278050/

Great post....I remember watching that scene in the theater as a teen with my jaw just hanging open, I was blown away.
Hauer such an overwhelming sense of sheer intelligence and total menace in that role.
He lived quite a life and left a lot of good work for people to enjoy even though he is gone!

According to the BBC, he has died. I would tend to believe the BBC over a non-main stream website.

RIP indeed.
Don't forget "The Osterman Weekend" staring Rutger Hauer, Craig T. Nelson, Denis Hopper and others. A great & strange movie from what I remember.

Something else which has just occurred to me, which may or may not blow your mind.

The events of Blade Runner take places in 2019... and during that time, Roy Batty - Hauer's character - dies.

Rutger Hauer died in 2019...

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Something else which has just occurred to me, which may or may not blow your mind.

The events of Blade Runner take places in 2019... and during that time, Roy Batty - Hauer's character - dies.

Rutger Hauer died in 2019...

That is quite a coincidence, mind blowing or not. Wow.

The movieographies which follow death announcements remind me how few movies I see overall.

I've seen bits of Blade Runner on TV and I'm 95% sure I know who you're talking about. He spared Harr. Ford's life immediately after speaking those quoted words, no?

Zippo for all the other titles.

Originally Posted by Kira
The movieographies which follow death announcements remind me how few movies I see overall.

I've seen bits of Blade Runner on TV and I'm 95% sure I know who you're talking about. He spared Harr. Ford's life immediately after speaking those quoted words, no?

Zippo for all the other titles.

Here you go. Absolutely worth a re-watch. He actually saved Ford's character's life just prior to it. One of the best, if not THE best 'death soliloquy' speeches in cinematic history.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
His performance in the Hitcher was really good. Good all around actor...

Now the Hitcher might be worth watching as a memorial. Interesting movie.

Yeah, he plays a great psycho... the scene where C. Thomas Howell's character has to make that decision (trying not to be spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it).. was a chilling scene.

Oh man... Time is passing... Seems like yesterday I saw Blade Runner on the big screen -and no less than 5 times more since then. Great movie, great scene...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back