GMC Yukon 70K Mile failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Magnaride on a 5,400 lb grocery getter. Seems like a waste for suspension pieces originally designed for sports cars. Too bad can't just slap a normal set of shocks on it. I'm sure the warning lights would be constant.

From a seat of the pants feel. I can't tell that $950 dollar shocks ride or handle better than a regular shock that cost
$35 bucks. I'm sure somebody at GM Thought it was a good idea 🤔

One of several reasons we shopped for an LT with optional upgrades thus avoiding the Premium …

Originally Posted by 4WD
One of several reasons we shopped for an LT with optional upgrades thus avoiding the Premium …

Wise decision
Some Technology is expensive and unnecessary

Can't buy it if it's not made

AE93876B-2A95-4BC0-8AD4-B051AF361F57.jpeg

Saw that … I have ridden in a couple but neither had over 40k …
I also wanted to avoid 20's as previously mentioned …

Originally Posted by maxdustington
A sane person would have just spent that money on Bilsteins. A write off is a write off, though.

OEM shocks? lol! Might as well run OEM brake pads!

What's wrong with OEM brake pads? I have always stuck with them and they do wonderful.

You could argue that the lack of internal vales improves reliability, but the most common way shocks fail is still the main shaft seal leaking of which I am guessing this shock is still susceptible to.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by Nick1994
I thought shocks were a maintenance item? They wear out like tires.

Shocks IMO should (and have for me) lasted a lot longer than 70,000 miles. You are correct they will wear out with enough miles.

I have never replaced struts/shocks on any vehicle I have owned over 30 years into 200k range. Not to say they were not well worn but replacement was not required.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Shocks IMO should (and have for me) lasted a lot longer than 70,000 miles. You are correct they will wear out with enough miles.

I have never replaced struts/shocks on any vehicle I have owned over 30 years into 200k range. Not to say they were not well worn but replacement was not required.

Jeep Grand Cherokee's are known to be dead by 50K or so. Common knowledge on the forum, and yes, my experience was the same with them.

I can kill shocks in 70k but that's because of some beat up un paved roads, gravel, brackish water, etc …
but never paid over $150/pair

When that much work and replacement parts needs to be done on a vehicle then someone is usually omitting the abuse the equipment is subject to in a nearly new vehicle or the vehicle is a complete lemon. I doubt this is the issue in this case.

Originally Posted by dave1251
When that much work and replacement parts needs to be done on a vehicle then someone is usually omitting the abuse the equipment is subject to in a nearly new vehicle or the vehicle is a complete lemon. I doubt this is the issue in this case.

Vehicle for sure not abused, every mile driven by a lady and 70% of the miles are interstate miles
Vehicle has been serviced on a regular normal service schedule at the GMC dealer

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by madRiver

Jeep Grand Cherokee's are known to be dead by 50K or so. Common knowledge on the forum, and yes, my experience was the same with them.

Got 107k troube free miles on a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Overland with the air suspension and a '16 Ram Limited with air suspension and 56k miles. These are the best riding and capable suspension on any SUV and pickup. Raises up for off road, lowers for easy entry and adjusts all 4 corners while driving. Towing is the same ride with or without a load. I was very leary at first but now won't have a vehicle w/o it.

Originally Posted by GMBoy

Got 107k troube free miles on a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Overland with the air suspension and a '16 Ram Limited with air suspension and 56k miles. These are the best riding and capable suspension on any SUV and pickup. Raises up for off road, lowers for easy entry and adjusts all 4 corners while driving. Towing is the same ride with or without a load. I was very leary at first but now won't have a vehicle w/o it.

I had a 2010. Maybe the WK2 had shocks and struts that last longer.

Towing anything near max tongue weight
Towing at or near the vehicles limit.

Both kill shocks fast.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back