Centric PQ Pro Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a new product from Centric. The part # is 500.xxxx.

The pads come with a nicer shim (thicker), a small amount of moly grease for the shims and pad ears, a red coating which is supposed to help accelerate pad break-in and 1-yr of roadside assistance.

Pricing is a few dollars more than their #105.xxxx PosiQuiet ceramic pads. From what I can tell, performance is similar as well. I would pay the few extra dollars for the nicer shim and the break-in coating.

C6F5FDF3-E587-4297-929F-FFA742004F8E.jpeg

EDC12432-C217-4702-B272-B7569BBC590C.jpeg

D969CA35-1A72-4E8E-BD92-44BF457017CD.jpeg

94882348-0FE0-41F7-92B0-64EB78170751.jpeg

Last edited:
Where does this fall in line regarding good/better/best vs. the PosiQuiet and StopTech? Is the friction material different than the PosiQuiet? The roadside assistance seems a bit gimmicky.

These companies seem to reinvent themselves every few years and it makes me wonder if it is for improvement or just an attempt to wakeup/grab more of the market. Raybestos did a similar change of lineup with their EHT marketing,but with the Centric change it is difficult to determine if this is a change in the friction quality or if they are just adding some bells and whistles. That's my initial curmudgeonly impression.

I like their para-aramid line on Land Cruiser: no fading, no break-in necessary, come with all hardware you ever need.

Good shims are worthwhile, I'll have to look up why they think a red coating makes for a better break-in. But, roadside assistance? Unless it delaminates early, what are they going to do? Fix the seized caliper missed by the newbie who installed them?

Centric fan here as well. mostly the 300. series as I really like the initial bite and progressive feel of them. I'll have to give these a try next time I do a set.

On another note, I hate their new website. Used to have a good comparison tool for their different formulations. Looks like its gone now, replaced by something a little harder to navigate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HangFire
Good shims are worthwhile, I'll have to look up why they think a red coating makes for a better break-in. But, roadside assistance? Unless it delaminates early, what are they going to do? Fix the seized caliper missed by the newbie who installed them?

EBC pads usually come with a red "brake-in" coating as well. The red coating, at least on the EBC pads, is extremely rough and meant to condition the rotor for use. The coating is meant to scrape away the old friction material left on the rotor because everyone knows exactly 2% of people who get a brake job also get rotors turned.

I believe that many pads are starting to come with an abrasive layer now. Bendix pads often come with them, for example, and they're called "burnishing strips," and they're a blue-black color.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
The roadside assistance seems a bit gimmicky.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
one year roadside assistance? seems a odd thing to add to brake pads .what does it cover?

As doitmyself says, it's just a gimmick and I see little point. I'd guess that maybe 25% of brake jobs are done at home and of those, how many will buy these pads and take advantage of this offering ? If the brake job is done by a shop and uses these pads, will they give the vehicle owner this info ? Maybe they will and claim some credit for it !

Roadside Assistance
Every set of PQ PRO Brake Pads comes with the 12 Months of "Centric Assured" roadside assistance. If anything, and we mean anything, prevents your car from getting to your destination, Centric Parts will reimburse you for roadside assistance services up to $100. We are confident that PQ PRO will deliver peace of mind for whatever the road may bring. Please see the 'Product Resources' box above for full details.

https://www.apcautotech.com/resources/roadside-assistance

Originally Posted by Deontologist

I believe that many pads are starting to come with an abrasive layer now. Bendix pads often come with them, for example, and they're called "burnishing strips," and they're a blue-black color.

Bendix pioneered that under AlliedSignal ownership in the 1990s on their semi-metallic pads. It was all over the braking surface. Dunno if the current MAT Roulunds line still does it.

Ironically, while Garrett sold the rights to the Bendix name in the US, they still own the rights in Australia and haven't farmed out the brand or friction to Roulunds in China or India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back