A New One on Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been changing oil on my cars for 50 years or so, so this ain't my first rodeo. But I had a new oil filter oil experience (sad, isn't it, when new experiences are oil filter-related).

Changed the oil on my 2015 Honda CRV about 2,000 miles ago and used a Wix filter for the first time. I used the specified 57356XP and tightened it the usual 3/4-1 turn after gasket contact. Checked for leaks and all was well. Checked oil level periodically since with no noticeable change in level and an absolutely clean garage floor. Came home today when that car was out and saw an oil spot. Checked when it was back and the filter was leaking at the gasket.

Replaced the filter with my usual OEM Honda and noted the Wix was on tight and had no visible defects.

So, this is a new and disturbing development that could have stranded us if the leak got lots worse in a hurry. Any theories? Has this happened to anyone else? Wix seems to have a good rep here, but I've turned into a skeptic.

Thanks.

Do you have any pictures?
smile.gif

Anything made or done by a human can mess up. I have a new car ordered and already have 6 Napa Gold oil filters waiting for it. I have no problem at all using WIX/Napa Gold oil filters. Did you inspect the gasket for tears, cracks??? Nothing above the filter was leaking was/is it?

It's possible the leak was at the base crimp. Typically a sealant is used in that area, and if there was missing sealant and/or a bad crimp job it's possible the leak was there and not the rubber base gasket.

About 4 years ago, I have had a wix/napa gold leak at the crimp where it meets the can, the same way yours was leaking.

`06 Honda Odyssey Application.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Double gasket? A fluke...........

I've had this happen once and only once. I now make sure the old gasket is accounted for.
confused2.gif

If gaskets are sticking I saturate a rag with brake cleaner and clean the filter mount.

I also had a filter with a gasket that was too thin. I just replaced that filter. I've never had this happen again.

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of is screwing it on a bit tighter, or a defect. It's best to just replace it like in your case.

Unrelated, but I had a Wix XP with a bad ADBV. Oil drained from the filter after shutting the engine off, causing a few dry cold starts nearing the end of my OCI. I cut it open and saw the ADBV caught over the baseplate's threads, leaving the ADBV at an angle on the base plate. Don't know if it was like that when I bought it, or if oil pressure moved it. Too bad because I really wanted to keep buying those.

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus and this has happened to me a couple of times. In my case I think I just need to put them on a little tighter. Through the years I have learned that tight enough is better than over tightened. However, when I had the oil/filter changed at the dealership during warranty it was on very tight. I can usually get my filters off by hand but had to use an oil filter wrench. Had to have it in for service in March and they noticed oil leaking from somewhere, changed out the oil filter and problem solved. When I changed the oil and filter the filter was on much tighter. I was still able to get it off by hand but was much more difficult. Mine was a NAPA gold, not blaming the filter, will snug it up more and check for leaks.

Scott

Originally Posted by boulderdentist
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus and this has happened to me a couple of times. In my case I think I just need to put them on a little tighter. Through the years I have learned that tight enough is better than over tightened. However, when I had the oil/filter changed at the dealership during warranty it was on very tight. I can usually get my filters off by hand but had to use an oil filter wrench. Had to have it in for service in March and they noticed oil leaking from somewhere, changed out the oil filter and problem solved. When I changed the oil and filter the filter was on much tighter. I was still able to get it off by hand but was much more difficult. Mine was a NAPA gold, not blaming the filter, will snug it up more and check for leaks.

Scott

Had the same thing happen to me in my 2001 Taurus. Thought I had hand tightened it, but then noticed it was dripping oil from the filter one day. The engine was cold at the time and I was able to hand tighten it some more. Felt like it was loose. Only thing I could think off at the time was that the expansion and contraction had loosed it up when it wasn't that tight to begin with.

Originally Posted by boulderdentist
Through the years I have learned that tight enough is better than over tightened.

I agree 100%

I have personally seen a number of leaks from "over tight"

"just barely tight enough" has always = no leaks

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Double gasket? A fluke...........

This was my issue with a fram ultra about 4 months ago on last OCI. Filter right out of the box had two gaskets stacked right on top of one another. Took one off and still has no leak with 3k on it. It happens.

I have run into this very thing a few times on Honda bikes, the original Honda filter used what appears to be a large O ring and when tightened to spec (10nm) never leak, some of the replacement filter have the typical flat seal. These are the ones that tend to leak and are very difficult to remove if tightened to spec.
Try to get filters with the same type seal or just stay with OE.

I have been promoting the importance of "P-gasket" factory filters over a "flat gasket" aftermaket "leakers".

Seen it a few times, maybe five, once in a real bad place on a EJ253 Subaru.with a wix.

Saw it on a toyota and on a 1.8L subaru with a Wix and with a Purolator

I am (was) a professional mechanic and have changed thousands of filters.

These leaks happen even if you do everything correct.

Especially with the newer oil formulations.

Never had a P-gasket ( constrained O-ring ) factory filter leak.

I agree with Trav above.

Thanks for the comments. Again, no visible damage, no double-gasketing and fine until about 2k into this OCI.

The Wix filter does have a flat gasket rather than the ribbed one on an OEM Honda filter, so that's surely a possibility. Or I suppose enough vibration and heat cycles could've compromised a slightly defective filter's structure.

The advice to stick with an OEM filter or at least a filter with the same gasket design seems prudent, so back on the Honda filter regimen. A little disconcerting nonetheless.

Sometimes when the flat gasket is not fully coated in oil, a piece of that gasket will stick tight to the mount. This will cause a leak. Always clean the mating surface, remove any residue, I use spray carb cleaner if needed, and then oil the new gasket. I like to use heaver oil on it than 5WAnything but that is personal preference. I use 20w50 on the gasket.

The filter does not need to be all that tight. Over tighten can cause leaks at the crimp. Hand is sufficient assuming you can get a good grip. If you have to use a tool, try to not use any more force than you could deliver by hand. When the gasket just touches, that is the start ¾ of a turn reference point.
Sometimes when the flat gasket is not fully coated in oil, a piece of that gasket will stick tight to the mount. This will cause a leak. Always clean the mating surface, remove any residue, I use spray carb cleaner if needed, and then oil the new gasket. I like to use heaver oil on it than 5WAnything but that is personal preference. I use 20w50 on the gasket.

The filter does not need to be all that tight. Over tighten can cause leaks at the crimp. Hand is sufficient assuming you can get a good grip. If you have to use a tool, try to not use any more force than you could deliver by hand. When the gasket just touches, that is the start ¾ of a turn reference point.

I have never had a flat gasket leak. I do like the feel of the o ring gaskets though. I suppose that if the company extruding and cutting the flat gaskets from the tube did a bad job, they will leak. InI these days of offshore everything, I accept it can happen.

Rod

If you still have that filter it would be interesting if you can set a straight edge on the gasket end and check for any warpage or misaligned construction.

Agree with all of that, but keep in mind this filter was absolutely fine for 2k or so. If installation was to blame one would think the problem would occur immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back