Optimal oil temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using OBD PIDs my oil temp usually ranges between 194 to 208 in my Maxima 2009, with ac on and weather temp of 80s to 90s

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Sandcastle how has your Jetta been for you so far ?

About average, although I still like the car at 68K miles. Had three repairs under warranty: cracked radio knob, failed main valve in transmission, failed electrical cable to transmission. The other day the backup camera went dead. Not sure if I will get a replacement. Other than that, no repairs needed.

My main gripes with the car are: gas pedal is hypersensitive, too many rattles, brakes are mediocre. Fuel economy averages 33 mpg; at 70 mph it averages 37-43, depending on the temperature and wind direction mostly. Engine and transmission performance remain excellent. The steering/handling is fairly decent for a 4-door sedan, although the shocks have lost some damping and as a result the ride has become bouncier than I would like.

Originally Posted by Rand
my 2015 forester was routinely in the 216-230 range with extended high speed driving I hit 240f a few times.

My 2014 FXT(Forester w2.0 DI Turbo) runs 210-220 in the summer and at highway speed...Never seen over 230 yet.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
My VW 1.8T runs around 210-225...seems v. normal.

Really. I have 2 1.8ts and both of them never get over 195 ever . Even in our recent 90 degree days .

Current gen 3s? I'm also tuned but it was that way before I tuned it.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I now (finally) own a vehicle that has a digital oil temp display. My 2019 RAM truck with the 3.6 Pentastar V6 has oil temps from 220-225 once fully warmed up and at a highway cruise. What oil temp is desirable for most normally driven vehicles? Is 225 too high? Does it stress the oil somewhat? What is the max temp before oils gets heat damaged? Thanks.

Seems OK to me. What kind of coolant temps are you seeing?

Yeah gen 3 , using 0w40

Interesting. 220ish is what I see people posting on the MK7 pages.

Yeah gen 3 , using 0w40

Interesting. 220ish is what I see people posting on the MK7 pages.

Well I did a 3 hour run going between 70-80 3 weeks ago trans. temp . 192 F. And oil 195 F.

Simple answer: anywhere between 190-240 F is normal temp range for engine oil, depending on the situation (highway cruising at 190F, rock crawling/autocrossing at 240F)
Less simple answer: Just about any modern engine oil can handle 300F for 20 minutes. So my answer depends: what kind of oil, driving habits, drive duration (reaching full temp every time?), sump capacity, service interval, etc. And remember, when pushed hard, synthetic oil handles high temps better than conventional oil, although today's conventional oil is excellent also.

Really. I have 2 1.8ts and both of them never get over 195 ever . Even in our recent 90 degree days .

Well while we are on the topic of VWs, by comparison, for our GOLF R (2.0 L T), I always have OIL TEMPERATURE showing on the display and it hasn't been unusual to see readings anywhere from 104 C to 109 C (220 F to 228 F) so far this summer.

Last edited:

My 2016 Passat has the EA888 Gen 3 1.8T engine and the highest I've ever seen was approx 205 sometime last week when the temps were up near 100. Most of the year it runs close to 190/195 and a little lower in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back