Cool info on the Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely a beautiful car. Reminds me a little bit on an NSX. It looks MUCH better than the previous model. I'm still a fan of old school standard transmissions in sports cars though. I wonder if it will be available in a standard? I would also like to see popup headlights again. I always loved the looks of those.

[Linked Image]

Looks great, but I'm back thinking of $x,xxx tires/rims ruined from one pothole …

The styling hasn't connected with me. What is that obtrusive strake on the doors for? The front of the nose looks too high for the rest of the car. The air openings in the grille look excessive, but maybe they're for when much more power is added later. The black highlight on the side air intake makes it look tacked on.

But none of that matters to me if it's blinding quick on the track.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
The styling hasn't connected with me. What is that obtrusive strake on the doors for? The front of the nose looks too high for the rest of the car. The air openings in the grille look excessive, but maybe they're for when much more power is added later. The black highlight on the side air intake makes it look tacked on.

But none of that matters to me if it's blinding quick on the track.

I think the one in the above picture might have the front axle lifting system activated. It will raise the front of the car 3" to get over a speed bump or into a driveway. They said the GPS system can remember something like 10,000 unique locations so it will do it automatically after a while.

Also I don't see how doing maintenance on this car will be any more difficult with it being mid engine. Spark plugs and oil changes will be easy peasy. There will probably be not a lot of access for replacing any drive belts, unless they were smart and ran a rear belt setup, or ran the alternator off the gearbox.

To compare, there are multiple labor operations on the new Ford GT where instead of instructing the technician how to do the job it says "return to Multimatic for repair."

See what you are saying about the strake … some down force as it directs air into radiator …
Noticed the front too … but heard the C7Z needed better cooling so assuming the same upfront …
Imagine the Z's will have an extreme number of coolers as they target a track record or two …

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Engineering Explained just posted a vid yesterday. He calculated that the ZR1 ver will have a 0-60 of approx 2.5 seconds

I think we're at the point where 0-60(/62) has outlived much of it's usefulness as a performance metric, at least in performance vehicles. 0-100mph, 60-120 (or thereabouts), and standing quarter mile give a more complete picture of performance, IMHO.

Originally Posted by nleksan
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Engineering Explained just posted a vid yesterday. He calculated that the ZR1 ver will have a 0-60 of approx 2.5 seconds

I think we're at the point where 0-60(/62) has outlived much of it's usefulness as a performance metric, at least in performance vehicles. 0-100mph, 60-120 (or thereabouts), and standing quarter mile give a more complete picture of performance, IMHO.

The 60-120 would impress me the most.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Or you can have real fun and do 0-120-0.

Yep, that run tells alot.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by E365
Looks like those "Bedford Six" aluminum chassis castings are based on technology developed for the Cadillac CT6's "Omega" chassis. Beautiful, ribbed aluminum pieces. Photos are of the CT6

IMPOSSIBLE to repair "cost effectively" . . . I expect these cars will be totaled pretty easily.

Poor people needn't own a sports car even if they can qualify for the loan.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I wonder if it will be available in a standard?

Apparently there's no suitable manual transmission that would fit, and they're not likely to build one just for this car.

Besides, it would be slower, so what's the point?

Either way, this is the first time I've looked at a Corvette and thought 'maybe I should buy one of those.'

Originally Posted by emg
I wonder if it will be available in a standard?

Apparently there's no suitable manual transmission that would fit, and they're not likely to build one just for this car.

Besides, it would be slower, so what's the point?

Either way, this is the first time I've looked at a Corvette and thought 'maybe I should buy one of those.'

To me at least,a car going fast in a straight line doesn't impress me. I would rather be able to row through the gears and enjoy driving and controlling the vehicle.

I would rather be able to row through the gears and enjoy driving and controlling the vehicle.

That's what paddle-shifters are for. I'd never go back to a stick after that.

Originally Posted by emg
I would rather be able to row through the gears and enjoy driving and controlling the vehicle.

That's what paddle-shifters are for. I'd never go back to a stick after that.

I want a clutch pedal and an actual shifter.

They have said it won't be available in a manual because they didn't want to cut a hole in the tunnel for the shifter, as that would weaken the integrity of the car with it's new mid engine setup. Plus there is also not really any room for a clutch pedal either. So those that are hoping it might come in a manual version later, don't count on it.
frown.gif

I'm interested what the C8 Z06 will have. Rumors of twin turbo engine.

I still like the C8 exterior, hate the interior.

Why make it so that the passenger can't even see the radio ?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I'm interested what the C8 Z06 will have. Rumors of twin turbo engine.

I still like the C8 exterior, hate the interior.

Why make it so that the passenger can't even see the radio ?

Haha that made me think,don't you hate when your passenger changes your music haha! This will keep them from being able to do that :p

I've been dreaming on Chevy's configurator. Really like the slightly dark metallic silver with black and red accents scheme, and matching black interior with red stitching and accents.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back