Medium SUV off-road test: Toyota RAV4, Holden Equinox, Mazda CX-5, Renault Koleo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting review. The Mazda is a huge hit in the Australian market.

The AWD system computer uses 27 data input points and makes up to 200 decisions a second. It is really a behind the scenes system.

These informal comparos are always fun to read. First thing I noticed was they called these medium size SUVs, here they're cute utes. Do these right hand drive euro models have the same drive trains as US models?

Good for bragging rights if you have one of the better performers but if one of these CUVs finds its self with a tire in the air someone took a wrong turn. Traction in muddy grass or icy pavement would be more useful for where these operate.

I've always been impressed with the AWD on the CX-5. Just this past weekend we took it to a country music festival (for the third year) which is located in the middle of a corn field. Every year it rains and turns into a muddy flooded mess. Not once have we gotten it even close to stuck. We don't push the limits with it, but simply driving throughout the camp grounds on the dirt mud roads has never given us a challenge. We watched dozens (literally) of SUVs and trucks get pulled out a mere feet away from where we were parked all weekend.

There is now a differential locker available for the Subaru, that should help some.

I've been quite impressed with how well my 2018 Forester does off road.

Originally Posted by Miller88
There is now a differential locker available for the Subaru, that should help some.
I've been quite impressed with how well my 2018 Forester does off road.

I guess I should find some excuse to try X-Mode offroad in my FXT since I paid for the extra button...

Originally Posted by RamFan
Just this past weekend we took it to a country music festival (for the third year) which is located in the middle of a corn field.

Exactly what these should be good at. Or parking in the field at your kid's soccer tournament and it rains. Or getting home from work in the winter at dusk when the roads are starting to freeze up. These tests usually show that Subaru has the goods though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back