Oil alternative for the 2.4L Multi-Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a scenario that I'm hoping someone could help educate me on. We have a new 2018 Jeep compass with a 2.4L/Multi-Air engine known for consuming oil. its currently using 1qt/2,500 miles and is also being serviced and document at the dealer with OEM Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic (68283520AA). We are falling just outside of FCA's guidelines of 1qt/2,000 miles. What main ingredients would I look for in a high quality 0w-20 oil for hard acceleration in short 15 minute driving intervals? I believe this is part of the culprit for our oil consumption. Thanks,

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum is a good oil, it will provide the protection you need.

Just do exactly what FCA says during the remainder of the warranty period, and maybe consumption will increase and they will have to fix it.

I'd try some conventional Pennzoil 5w20 for a 5k interval. As much as I like their synthetic oils I've read a fair amount of reports of oil consumption with them.

Also worth trying is Castrol Magnatec 0w20 or preferably 5w20 esp if you want to stick to full synthetic oils.

Valvoline conventional 5w20 which is really a syn-blend is another I've had excellent luck with keeping consumption to nil in a certain car.

stick with the OE unless manual states otherwise. after warranty is gone at least a 10-30 fake synthetic in your warm climate would do. in europe they prolly list 5-40 as they commonly do. higher viscosity will help seal looser clearances + assuming its DI you want very LITTLE oil going past the rings etc to cause carbon + cat issues $$$

You should run it low on oil. It will increase the wear on the motor and increase oil consumption. Then, you can get a replacement motor from FCA that may burn oil or may be fine.

or

My best bet would be to try a high mileage 0w20 that meets MS-6395 like Valvoline fully synthetic maxlife. Change it every 3-5k if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time and want the consumption not to get worse.

Originally Posted by benjy
stick with the OE unless manual states otherwise. after warranty is gone at least a 10-30 fake synthetic in your warm climate would do. in europe they prolly list 5-40 as they commonly do. higher viscosity will help seal looser clearances + assuming its DI you want very LITTLE oil going past the rings etc to cause carbon + cat issues $$$

It is port injected.

Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic Maxlife. Keep oil topped off change it out at OLM with mopar filter. Now that you have done this they can't blame you. If you run it low and destroy engine then they can and probably would blame you. Document everything with an app such as Mopar.com and document mileage that you add a quart as well as change. Keep all receipts. CYA

Originally Posted by NewC-05
Got a scenario that I'm hoping someone could help educate me on. We have a new 2018 Jeep compass with a 2.4L/Multi-Air engine known for consuming oil. its currently using 1qt/2,500 miles and is also being serviced and document at the dealer with OEM Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic (68283520AA). We are falling just outside of FCA's guidelines of 1qt/2,000 miles. What main ingredients would I look for in a high quality 0w-20 oil for hard acceleration in short 15 minute driving intervals? I believe this is part of the culprit for our oil consumption. Thanks,

Be careful as this can be seen as abuse. Never admit anything.

tiger862, very good points, so far they have not asked about driving conditions, and yes FCA has a loophole in the owner's manual "To assure proper engine lubrication, the engine oil must be maintained at the correct level."

again, from all indications, FCA considers this normal. (I don't !) at the same time I want to protect my investment as much as possible especially this early on. We've owned the car since May 2018, so in 9 months it only has 5,500 miles. this car will average about 6,500 miles per year.

the consensus seems to be moving up to a high mileage full synthetic 0w-20 meeting MS-6395 requirements
Would a high performance/race oil like Amsoil SS, Royal Purple or other high moly/zinc oil be a better choice?
I am very curious about Pennzoil's 0w-20 blend, any thoughts?

Unlike other conventional oils, this one has superb mileage range. This can be attributed to excellent balancing in the formulation. Thus, even when driving on extreme temperatures, it remains constant. Enjoying anti-wear additives, it helps the engine to run smoothly.

Well, the high engine compatibility is a great feature. The Valvoline is fully synthetic oil with an outstanding formulation. Due to that, it is compatible with most supercharge and turbocharge vehicles. Therefore, when anywhere in North America, this oil is good for passenger vehicles.

Full review here: https://carcaretotal.com/best-0w-20..._0W-20_SynPower_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil

J
Originally Posted by chims
Unlike other conventional oils, this one has superb mileage range. This can be attributed to excellent balancing in the formulation. Thus, even when driving on extreme temperatures, it remains constant. Enjoying anti-wear additives, it helps the engine to run smoothly.

Well, the high engine compatibility is a great feature. The Valvoline is fully synthetic oil with an outstanding formulation. Due to that, it is compatible with most supercharge and turbocharge vehicles. Therefore, when anywhere in North America, this oil is good for passenger vehicles.

Full review here: https://carcaretotal.com/best-0w-20..._0W-20_SynPower_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil

Junk website

I catch grief here cause I am not a fan of Pennzoil. My family loves Pennzoil. Brother changed the oil on my mother's Chrysler 300 with 2.7 and motor was spotless on the inside and when she found out it was Valvoline conventional (company he worked for used) she was mad and I took over oil changes with PYB. She traded it in on her Impala after 150k because of transmission. We now have only 2 cars on Pennzoil and both use oil between 2500 and 3500 miles. On my Saturn I went Pennzoil for last 30k that I owned it.
It was using as well small leak around 3500 miles keep in mind never used oil and had a seepage with Maxlife in 5k or 1 year. Changed to pennzoil as GM sent me email updating specs to Dexos and Maxlife didn't meet specs. My Caravan came from dealer with Pennzoil and lost a quart at 4500 miles and was a little low at 3200 when I bought it.(Dodge said normal)< I am currently running Napa 5w20 Synthetic Blend for its first oil change then I am going to Valvoline advanced full synthetic 5w20. Over 3k at this time and just checked yesterday and still full. I have done some extreme acceleration as well as idling and I usually do between 5k to 6k a year up to purchasing the van. Never had oil related failures with either oil and all could go well north of 100k with keeping oil full just Pennzoil seems to use a quart (if you top off) or 2 (if you never check level). I forgot about niece who has a 2018 Dodge Journey 30k. She has done 3 oil changes all with take 5 oil change place all with Mobil oil. She doesn't even know which one but she is never low between changes. It is a 2.4 and you here it screaming for mercy every time they leave.

Last edited:
Just a quick update, we just past 2,500 miles from our last oil change and its still at 7/8 full on the dip stick (yay!). Usually it would be at the "L" mark and having to add a quart. Not sure what magic elixir they put in at the last oil change, but so far it looks promising that we won't have to add any until the dealer's 5k OCI recommendation. Of course I will take a sample and send off for testing first
smile.gif
ïŠ

Last edited:
another quick update ... after a few months and 1,000 miles later it was holding at 3/4 full. we recently returned from a 9 hour 1,200 mile road trip and its now holding at 5/8 full. very confident I wont be adding oil before its next oil change in a couple of months. btw, 34mpg at 70-75 and 30mpg@75-80mph on safer stretches of I-10 from Louisiana to Florida
Originally Posted by addyguy
Engine finished a drawn-out break-in.
yes, crossing fingers that all it was ...

Last edited:
Mothers 2.4L Dart did the same thing.
Oddly enough going from Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 to QSUD 5w20 is all it took. Now it burns .5 qt/5k mi

Gumbyjarvis I experienced the same thing with my dart 2.4. Was using pennzoil platinum 0w20 and it would use about 1-1.5 quarts in 5,000 miles. Switched to schaeffer's 0w20 and in 5,000 miles it uses maybe a 1/4 of a quart. I'm not saying pennzoil platinum is a bad oil but it wont hurt to try a different brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back