9688 the one size fits all for asian cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear people complain about the 6607 being too small (not enough dirt capacity) and the 7317 being too long (prone to dents). My mazda is the 6607 and my van is the 7313. My mother in law's Subaru is either 6607 or 7317 and my fathers Pilot is 7317. Would the 9688 be a good overall fit for all these vehicles? Not super wide and in between length of the 6607 and 7317?

I guess 7317 for all is going to be suggested but it sticks out too far on my mazda and I'm afraid it will be hit.

Last edited:
Why not run the filter that is designed for your car? Size is not a indication of quality.

Who is complaining about these filters?

My 4 wheeler takes a 6607...if I put a 7317 on it I have to grease it up to get it down the trails
lol.gif

6607 is what is spec'd for one of my Subies, and 7317 on the other. I use either XG7317 or NG7055 depending on what I was able to stock up on. I have not had any issues with 7317s denting FWIW, sounds like internet fallacy/improper handling.

I had a NG 7712 which crosses to 6607 and it did not look great on a C&P.

IIRC, the BPV PSI/kPa is higher for Mazda/Subaru than Honda/Nissan/Hyundai.

In a perfect world, all Subaru or Mazda applications would use a PH7317-sized filter with the proper 20+PSI BPV, all newer Honda/Nissan/Mitsu the 7317, and older Honda and all Hyundai-Kias are serviced with the new Korean-made 51334.

The XG7317 should have no problem flowing enough/having low enough differential pressure to keep any Subaru happy. The NG7055 is spec'd at 27PSID and is 7317-sized, which means you should theoretically be able to cover them all with at most two filters if you are being really anal about BPV PSID, which I think is really a moot point with a filter like the XGs. The thing that gives me a warm fuzzy about the element in the 7055 is they know the filter will see 27PSID, so you would think the filter media will be plenty heavy to deal with 22-25PSID all day without worrying about tearing. All of the 7055s I've seen cut open look essentially brand new but oily.

My mom has an '18 Forester, and once she's out of warranty I will have no problem running that FB25 on PUP/Amsoil and XG filtration to 15k. That will cut maintenance costs by 1/2-2/3 and still live to the far side of 200k.

6607 has plenty enough holding capacity for a vehicle reommended oci/fci. It's standard spec on most Nissan's and used by many quick lubes and indies for 6607, 7317 and 9688/3593 applications. 7317 only ~3/4" longer, while the Mazda may be an exception idk, I've seen few if any applications where it won't work well in place of 6607. Many newer vehicles including Honda (200:cool: and Nissan now have filter restriction rings or block/pan restriction around filter making the 9688 diameter a no go. Don't know about Mazda.

My advice, if you're really concerned about the 7317 extra length, stick with 6607. It'll be fine.

Fram increased burst strength on the Ultra XG9688 to 310 psi a couple years ago. The Kia Optima takes this filter. However; I've read that Subaru has it's own specs for bypass....I would keep what OEM specs.

I like the looks of the hyundai 26300 35503 and 35504 filters. They cross to the 6607 and 7317 so not sure which size they are.

There are a few cut open here on the forum, look like they are built like tanks and around $6 at walmart.

How much dirt capacity does one need in a filter? If you are filling up a 6607 to the point where it reaches constant bypass, you've got some major issues where upsizing to a larger filter isn't going to be the fix.

The Nissan 5.6 V8 uses those microscopic filters and they never blow up because of it. Just look for those filters than can last 10,000 miles and have a thicker shell.

There's also the slightly cheaper 3593a. Same physically size as the 9688 but not as tough in terms of bursting strength.

eBay has the non "sure grip" Ultra jobber pretty cheap btw.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Fram increased burst strength on the Ultra XG9688 to 310 psi a couple years ago. The Kia Optima takes this filter. However; I've read that Subaru has it's own specs for bypass....I would keep what OEM specs.

Fram actually increased burst strength on all 9688.

Perfect example of someone "wanting" something due to inferred bias, rather than using facts to ascertain a correct conclusion.

As many have asked, does the OP have any proof that the correct filter is failing it's job somehow? Where's the dissections to show failure? Where's the dP data to show loading has induced perpetual bypass? Where's the PC analysis to show contamination in circulation by miles exposure (duration of use)?

Mehhhhhhh ... Bitgoers are one insatiable lot; there's never enough to make them happy. The grass is always greener on the other side of the filter aisle ...

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Perfect example of someone "wanting" something due to inferred bias, rather than using facts to ascertain a correct conclusion.

As many have asked, does the OP have any proof that the correct filter is failing it's job somehow? Where's the dissections to show failure? Where's the dP data to show loading has induced perpetual bypass? Where's the PC analysis to show contamination in circulation by miles exposure (duration of use)?

Mehhhhhhh ... Bitgoers are one insatiable lot; there's never enough to make them happy. The grass is always greener on the other side of the filter aisle ...

In the OP he also mentions he wants a one size fits all filter.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I guess 7317 for all is going to be suggested but it sticks out too far on my mazda and I'm afraid it will be hit.

I know it's not a popular idea here, but at least one quick lube here has standardized with the shorty across the line. My beef with the shorty isn't the dirt carrying capacity at all, but it actually costs more than the longer one, whether I'm buying Wix, Hastings, or Baldwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back