Focus SVT backyard head rebuild.....assembly lube vs oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

History:

Due to this head being nearly impossible to find combined with incompetent machine shops in my area....

I am in the process of rebuilding the head for the subject vehicle. I lapped the used valves I put in (previous valves bent at idle from defective OEM tensioner) and then gasoline tested for leaks and there were none. Yes, I removed the lapping compound.

I cleaned up everything, installed new valve stem seals, old springs from another head, old retainers from another head, used cams from another head, correctly oriented old cam caps, and keepers. I lubed those parts with a coating of Rotella T6 5w-40.

I am about to do some lash adjustments with guess what? Used buckets.

I have lots of different lubricants laying around but no engine assembly lube. With all of the variables involved, the backyard head job and a high risk of another timing incident on this interference engine would you just lube everything up with RT6 and see what happens or would you go with assembly lube? If so, which one?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Oil will be fine if it does not sit a long time before started.

I would agree.

Assembly lube is very "sticky". It clings to the parts, assuming an engine build will take a while.

5w40 will be a fine lube. When you start the engine, disable the fuel and crank the engine in maybe 5 15 second bursts. This should build and hold PLENTY of pressure and lube all the critical parts before startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back