Rear Differential question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon,

2008 Nissan Frontier Pickup / 115000 miles..been hearing a scraping noise for awhile now and took it into a trusted, local shop. Get a call saying the rear differential is bad. Couple of options were to get a reman from Nissan, but could take days..or get a used one. I went with the used one; 60000 miles on it..getting put in tomorrow.

My question is, should I run it a day or so and do a drain and fill on the diff fluid? Just to be sure the fluid is clean, etc?

Thanks

I would drain fluid and take a look at it. Refill with your favorite gear goo and repeat at 10K miles or what ever your maintenance plan is. Good Luck!!!

how bad was the scraping, WHAT was scraping, and what did it sound like?

40/40 hindsight, but I feel like I would have run it until it was causing actual problems.

The differential was bad like the ACTUAL differential or like a lazy mechanic who didn't want to do a proper rebuild? Unless there is something special about your application dif's aren't rocket science.

Too late now but I would have obtained a second opinion. Rear ends usually last longer than the mileage you indicated. Hopefully its not a u-joint or
brake or some other common problem. Yes, drive it and change the rear end fluid again.

Originally Posted by buck91
The differential was bad like the ACTUAL differential or like a lazy mechanic who didn't want to do a proper rebuild? Unless there is something special about your application dif's aren't rocket science.

Everyone wants to swap parts, Been that way for awhile now.

I believe the Titans had rear end overheating problems due to a bad axle design and started putting an updated design on somewhere in the year '08. However, they typically showed issues around the 50k mark instead of where you are at.

If it was my local daily vehicle, I would drive it longer and see. It belongs to my son who lives out of town.

I put new rotors and pads on, but noise was still there. Truck has given us zero problems until this.

Noise was a scraping, grinding sound..only heard it at lower speeds.

which diff? the regular, regular 4 wd or the nissan dana 60. i dumped the cheap but costly OE semi-syn for all redline fluids. dana-spicer recommends real synthetic, i used the 75-90 rather than the 75-140 OE molasses in the rear of my nissan-dana diff. i haul little + feel the real ester synthetic is much better, also installed the titan finned aluminum cover as the frontier uses the same rear 4 wd diff. theres also a 75-110 i believe or make your own!

Last edited:
Nah … If it's an used rear axle … Gears, pins, spiders, are all broke in.
I'd only change it now to make sure it's not on original gear oil with break in metal still in that lube.
Run that oil 30k or more …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dawgn86
They will refill with fresh oil when they change the diff, I was wondering if it was a good idea to change after a 100 miles or so

There is no need.

It will probably last the rest of the life of the truck.

I am more interested in what was wrong and making the noise at 115K. Unless there was physical damage to the tubes or housing I cant ever remember replacing any, just repair.

Yeah, if the shop is putting in fresh fluid, I would not waste money on a early change, especially on a already broken in diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back