Subaru Syn 5w-30

Thin? The Ravenol DXG I have sitting on the shelf is like 9.3@100C* from a VOA.

You can bet your dollar that a Subaru-branded 30wt is going to be stout enough since their turbo engines are known to be very unfriendly to oils through shearing. Use it with confidence.

Good moly. I see no HTHS shown so we don't know how "thin" it is.

I will assume this is Idemitsu of Indiana blended - unless they only blend 0W20 there,

I have not been in contact.with their sales department about 5w30 since I do not have an application.

OP, Where is your "Thin" thinking coming from? What is your concern?

Thanks for sharing the VOA, I really appreciate it!
This oil has a higher calcium level than the d1G2/SN+ formulations I have seen, but at least it is not high in sodium.
It must not be a total LSPI disaster as I don't see dealer-serviced WRXs and FXTs strewn all over the highways waiting to be towed, but I sure wouldn't care to run it given that I can easily find an oil that I know has been tested for LSPI resistance for less money.
I'm sure somebody will post that Subaru must know what they are doing as far as LSPI is concerned when they make so many DIT engines...to which I would reply, how come my car was recalled for LSPI, then??
;^)

I dont recall off hand. is there a max of 3.2 cP of just a min of 2.9 cP for a GF5 30 multigrade. I think I reacll no max other than that incidentally imposed by fuel mileage targets.

Sorry not been around. Not all of us hang out at the oil bar.

Thin as being on the low end of 5w-30
I did a used report on my Outback with this oil if ya all want to check it out.

Most defiantly ILSAC rated.

idemitsu.jpg

Looks like it has better numbers than Pennzoil Platinum to me
For sure has more Moly !ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I dont recall off hand. is there a max of 3.2 cP of just a min of 2.9 cP for a GF5 30 multigrade.

I don't think there's technically a max, but try to find an ILSAC 30 with an HTHS of above 3.2.

Originally Posted by Garak
I dont recall off hand. is there a max of 3.2 cP of just a min of 2.9 cP for a GF5 30 multigrade.

I don't think there's technically a max, but try to find an ILSAC 30 with an HTHS of above 3.2.

IIRC that's the highest I've seen, from Valvoline AFS 5W30 and a couple of others (MAG 1??).

That Smells good to me.
Againthe KV100 viscosity doenst matter, its the HTHS. 3.14 cP is the best you'll likely get out of an ILSAC. Energy conserving blend.

Any reason why you wish to go more robust? Engine clatter when hot? If so just put a MB approval 229.51 in there.

Generally that Subaru flat six is understressed - except for those crazy timing chains.

If you are feeling adventurous, I'd buy a partially completed Porsche Speedster replica kit and throw that engine back there. Then you'll have something to talk about at the Barber shop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by Garak

IIRC that's the highest I've seen, from Valvoline AFS 5W30 and a couple of others (MAG 1??).

Amsoil OE 5w30 SN+ has an HTHS of 3.3

That's the highest I've found for an ILSAC 5w30

Back