Towing report - 2016 Grand Cherokee SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So my dad bought another used boat over the weekend up in Wasaga Beach which we needed to drag the ~100Km back to the cottage. His Expedition is in the shop getting the gas tank straps replaced, exhaust manifold replaced and something else that's slipped my mind at the moment. The RAM is with my wife, out east, so it was towing with the Jeep time again.

Boat lists as being just under 4,000lbs dry (3,900lbs) and with fuel in it and the weight of the trailer, I figure we were probably close to 5,000lbs, which is well within the tow rating of the Jeep.

Compared to towing the Supra, which is very low, you could certainly feel the size of this boat, which is not only longer, but MUCH taller (6ft). I towed it a bit slower than I would the Supra, due to this fact, so I didn't exceed 105Km with the cruise set when going down the 400 highway with it.

Of course the Jeep never leaves one wanting for power, so merging was not an issue. Stopping of course always feels extremely competent with the big Brembo's. Pulling a hill coming out of Wasaga with the cruise set, I did manage to see it drop from 8, to 7 to finally settling on 6th to pull it, which put it at around 3,800RPM, where it immediately regained the 5Km/h it lost.

The AWD is always great on the launch ramps, and this was no different. The backup camera is pretty useless with a trailer of this size.

This is the boat, nothing fancy, it's a Four Winns Sunsetter 205 with a 5.0L Ford in it for just cruising around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Cool, but what was your MPG?
smile.gif

Did not track it. Got 613Km out of the previous tank, I could give you a tank average tomorrow when I fill it (it's at 1/4) but I don't think that's what you really want
wink.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
smile.gif

Did not track it. Got 613Km out of the previous tank, I could give you a tank average tomorrow when I fill it (it's at 1/4) but I don't think that's what you really want
wink.gif

Nice looking boat, super nice truck. You must track mileage on a tank basis... so what does she manage?

SRT certainly gives you more power. My grandpa's 14' 3.6L Grand Cherokee is usually in 6th pulling my empty truck bed trailer down the highway, 1k pounds.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
smile.gif

wink.gif

Nice looking boat, super nice truck. You must track mileage on a tank basis... so what does she manage?

Thank you.

It varies significantly depending on the usage profile. If I'm doing 100% in-town, which typically involves it being in Sport 99% of the time, I'm filling up at around 385Km at 1/4 tank, which is ~74L or ~19L/100Km or 12 miles per gallon. On the other hand, the last fill up, which was 76L at 613Km is ~12L/100Km or roughly 19 miles per gallon, and it consisted of mixed driving and mostly in "Auto", not Sport.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
SRT certainly gives you more power. My grandpa's 14' 3.6L Grand Cherokee is usually in 6th pulling my empty truck bed trailer down the highway, 1k pounds.

Yes, the 6.4L SRT mill has a fantastic power curve. It never downshifts for hills unless I'm hauling something. Our Durango was similar to your Grandpa's GC, the 3.6L needs to downshift to get the revs up and make power.

So did that use two sets of pads and one set of rotors ?

j/k ...IIRC, it's hard on brake hardware

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Didn't you say in a recent thread you'd go rent a real truck if you had any towing? The 6.4 would probably tow a house.

Nope, I think that was a sarcastic remark with respect to digs at the RAM at the time
wink.gif
And yes, you are probably right
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow
So did that use two sets of pads and one set of rotors ?

j/k ...IIRC, it's hard on brake hardware

You would be correct. It was particularly hard I'm sure this trip, given the condition of the trailer brakes. This thing eats front pads/rotors as you well remember, I'm probably ~25-30% of the way through the current front set I'd say
cry.gif

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Nice Sundowner. I have a Horizon 200 that I tow with a Dodge Dakota. I'd imagine that SRT would tow like the boat isn't even there.

It certainly has no problems moving it, that's for sure
lol.gif
And thanks! It's unfortunately carbureted, I may look at putting the Holley fuel injection kit on it, since converting it to EEC-IV would be a PITA.

I personally prefer our Supra, which has the SEFI GT40 Ford 5.8L in it. I spent years working EEC-IV stuff and am extremely comfortable with it, so having it in a boat was just gravy.

smile.gif

OK, I can give you this, which is from right before I filled it up (in the line for the pump at Costco):
[Linked Image]

I filled it with 77.58L which yields 13.6L/100Km, which is 17.3Mpg (US). All driving since Sunday has been in-town with Sport on, so not too bad! This mileage includes the towing from Sunday of course.

Are there any common problems with the Durangos? I wouldn't mind a Hemi powered one to replace my Dakota - only thing I worry about is the trans and the lifter problem the Hemis had.

Anything else to watch out for?

Are there any common problems with the Durangos? I wouldn't mind a Hemi powered one to replace my Dakota - only thing I worry about is the trans and the lifter problem the Hemis had.

Anything else to watch out for?

Only real issues we had were:
- Rear LED light assembly, a section of it went bad and was replaced under warranty. This was due to water ingress
- Rear USB ports went bad when my kids got snow in them

Other than that, it was quite good. One with the HEMI will have the ability to operate in 2WD IIRC (at least the one we had as a rental did) and may have start/stop. The ZF 8spd should be the same one I have, so it will be basically bomb-proof.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the HEMI lifter issue, internet amplification makes it out to be much larger than it actually is.

Are there certain years to avoid with the HEMI?

My uncle has a 2011 Ram 1500, Hemi with the 6 speed auto and 4x4. I might buy it from him when he trades it in, which might happen soon. I think it has between 80 and 100k on it, or at least it will when I get it.

The only rust on it is in the middle of the passenger front fender. Not sure how or why it rusted there, but I could prob just swap the fender out with a new one.

I love the Dakota and don't really drive it much (~6,000 miles a year) but it's a 2003 and isn't exactly rust free. It's been oil sprayed but it still has rust.

My uncle has a 2011 Ram 1500, Hemi with the 6 speed auto and 4x4. I might buy it from him when he trades it in, which might happen soon. I think it has between 80 and 100k on it, or at least it will when I get it.

The only rust on it is in the middle of the passenger front fender. Not sure how or why it rusted there, but I could prob just swap the fender out with a new one.

I love the Dakota and don't really drive it much (~6,000 miles a year) but it's a 2003 and isn't exactly rust free. It's been oil sprayed but it still has rust.

Nope, the engine hasn't changed a whole heck of a lot really over the years, if you can get that truck at the right price it may be worthwhile.

Nope, the engine hasn't changed a whole heck of a lot really over the years, if you can get that truck at the right price it may be worthwhile.

I think I can get it for trade-in value, maybe less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back