Planning using 5W-20 LiquiMoly for next oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does your car require beyond SN? Many of those oils you list are API licensed SN.

Oil grade is not required, only recommended.

Originally Posted by kschachn
What does your car require beyond SN? Many of those oils you list are API licensed SN.

Oil grade is not required, only recommended.

The manual states to use only 0W-20 under all temperatures and all circumstances and not to use anything else.

Castrol Edge Professional 0w20 should work well.

The Liqui Moly is also not a bad choice. If it were me I'd probably just use the Liqui Moly if not for the fact that as you say oils there may not be trustworthy.

If you can get Liqui Moly 5w20 easily sounds like a winner. Do you have the 3.6L Pentastar or the HEMI?

Originally Posted by John344
The manual states to use only 0W-20 under all temperatures and all circumstances and not to use anything else.

Can you post a picture of the exact language your manual uses in this regard?

And if that is what it says, why are you contemplating using a 5W-20? And why an oil that doesn't actually meet the required specification for your engine?

People on here are always dredging up "foreign" owners manuals to show how thicker are oils are used elsewhere in the world. I would be astounded to see that is all they allow in the manual for Oman.

This is what I found in the US online 2018 Grand Cherokee owner's manual unless you have the 5.7l engine (then it does not use the word "recommended", but does require 5W-20):
Mopar SAE 0W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures.

Is yours different? A Canadian manual says:
We recommend you use API Certified SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.

I would agree, Oils in the middle east don't go through the check standards process as the ones made by Europe or the USA. Since you are in Kuwait what oils do you have and where do you buy them from?

There's a range of North American and European lubricants available here; Kendall/Motorcraft, Mopar/Pennzoil, Petro-Canada, Liqui-Moly, Fuchs, Bizol, Motul, Morris Lubricants, Mobil 1 (French sourced 0W-40 and 5W-30 ESP), Valvoline and Redline to name a few. There's also some Australian brands, like Penrite, but those are much harder to source as only one place sells them. Prices are outrageous compared to what I pay back in the U.S., but you can buy them directly from their dealer/distributors, as well as third party wholesalers.

Personally, I refuse to run thinner oils in my climate and prefer HDEO over PCMO where applicable. This summer has been particularly hot - my car's parked under the shade at work, and when I fire it up at 16:30 local time, the first outside temperature reading I get is 128°F, which later drops to 122°F once I hit the road. Engine oil and ATF temperatures are already over 120°F on a cold start.

[/quote]
We recommend you use API Certified SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.
[/quote]

OP write 0w40 on the cap and then refer to the cap
crackmeup2.gif

On all seriousness if you can't find a 0w20/5w20 you can certainly use a 5w30/10w30 in either engine. Both were originally 5w30 spec'd not too many years ago.

Good luck. I'm sure Falcon LS can help you in finding some better oil choices in the Middle East.

Last edited:
People on here are always dredging up "foreign" owners manuals to show how thicker are oils are used elsewhere in the world. I would be astounded to see that is all they allow in the manual for Oman.

I have never looked at Chrysler manuals, but GM and Fords will generally come with a supplemental owner's manual.

Although the English version will be exactly the same as the USDM version, the Arabic version will differ slightly where maintenance is concerned. For example, in the Crown Victoria manuals, although 5W-20 was specified in the English manual, the Arabic version recommended 10W-30. Although an English print is thrown in, I guess they reckon most will look at the Arabic print.

GM manuals, both English and Arabic print, will come with a temperature vs. viscosity chart.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Castrol Edge Professional 0w20 should work well.

The Liqui Moly is also not a bad choice. If it were me I'd probably just use the Liqui Moly if not for the fact that as you say oils there may not be trustworthy.

If you can get Liqui Moly 5w20 easily sounds like a winner. Do you have the 3.6L Pentastar or the HEMI?

I have the Pentastar 3.6 and usually, the dealer fills it with 6 liters (6.34013 Quart) of oil every change.

And if that is what it says, why are you contemplating using a 5W-20? And why an oil that doesn't actually meet the required specification for your engine?

Yes sure I scanned and will post it here, the manual says both in Arabic and English for the PentaStar 3.6 to only use 0W-20.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even the Arabic version states the same.

You can check the scanned pictures of my manual with the highlighted details.

[/quote]

OP write 0w40 on the cap and then refer to the cap
crackmeup2.gif

On all seriousness if you can't find a 0w20/5w20 you can certainly use a 5w30/10w30 in either engine. Both were originally 5w30 spec'd not too many years ago.

Good luck. I'm sure Falcon LS can help you in finding some better oil choices in the Middle East.

LoL, I wish, I would feel more comfortable using a thicker oil but what I understand from this after asking the dealer that in Jeeps the cooling system is really advanced and, it's job to keep the engine cool. Even my oil temp gauge readings never exceed 100C (212F) usually it sits around 93-95C even though the temperature outside is 50C (122F). As they told me that if you use a thicker oil like the 5W-30 you will hear a knocking sound in the engine when you start it because of harder flow and thicker movement.

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS

I have never looked at Chrysler manuals, but GM and Fords will generally come with a supplemental owner's manual.

Although the English version will be exactly the same as the USDM version, the Arabic version will differ slightly where maintenance is concerned. For example, in the Crown Victoria manuals, although 5W-20 was specified in the English manual, the Arabic version recommended 10W-30. Although an English print is thrown in, I guess they reckon most will look at the Arabic print.

GM manuals, both English and Arabic print, will come with a temperature vs. viscosity chart.

Myne manual didn't have a viscosity chart but I scanned it so you can check it even the Arabic version states the same only use 0W-20. You can check the scanned documents in the upper reply. ⬆ï¸

Last edited:

Yes sure I scanned and will post it here, the manual says both in Arabic and English for the PentaStar 3.6 to only use 0W-20.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even the Arabic version states the same.

5w30 won't cause any knocking or issues. The difference between a 5w20 and a 5w30 is usually 2cst or less at operating temps. The difference is minimal.

Also most 0w20-5w20 oils have an HTHS of about 2.7 and the 5w30 should be around 2.9-3.0

This increase isn't enough for the engine to notice. It's not like you are going from 0w20 to 10w40 where the viscosity is double.

Good luck

5w30 won't cause any knocking or issues. The difference between a 5w20 and a 5w30 is usually 2cst or less at operating temps. The difference is minimal.

Also most 0w20-5w20 oils have an HTHS of about 2.7 and the 5w30 should be around 2.9-3.0

This increase isn't enough for the engine to notice. It's not like you are going from 0w20 to 10w40 where the viscosity is double.

Good luck

The only good 5w30 that I can find near me is Mobil 1 ESP Formula which is on the thicker side comparing it to other brands. The HTHS is 3.58 and viscosity at 100C is 12.1. Even some people here told me that's it more like a 5W40 because it's thicker than other's 30 weight brands. What do you think?

Last edited:
That is all a recommendation, it even uses the word. You said:

Which implied it was a requirement in the manual, which it is not.

I'd follow what Falcon_LS recommends before I'd follow what Jeep recommends, especially in Oman. But maybe that's just me.

That is all a recommendation, it even uses the word. You said:

Which implied it was a requirement in the manual, which it is not.

I'd follow what Falcon_LS recommends before I'd follow what Jeep recommends, especially in Oman. But maybe that's just me.

Isn't stating only 0W-20 in the manual without any other viscosity means that it is a requirement? I mean they didn't even mention the part that if 0W-20 not available use 5W30.

No. There are very few owner's manuals that require a certain grade. They may require a specification or an approval, but it is rare to have one that requires a grade. Grades are recommendations and approvals are requirements.

That same vehicle does require a specific grade for the engine that I mentioned. The language is completely different.

No. There are very few owner's manuals that require a certain grade. They may require a specification or an approval, but it is rare to have one that requires a grade. Grades are recommendations and approvals are requirements.

That same vehicle does require a specific grade for the engine that I mentioned. The language is completely different.

This ^
MS6395 is the spec. Most manufacturers have a 0w20, 5w20, and a 5w30 that all meet the performance requirements. If I were you I'd use the Pennzoil 10w30 US version or the Liqui moly 5w20 from Germany because I know both are good oils and close to the recommendation of the manufacturer.

Really it's up to you. Make the choice you believe is best. We have plenty of Jeeps driving around in US deserts of Nevada and Arizona on cheap quick lube oils and doing fine.

Use one of the trusted brands from a trusted country and enjoy driving the Jeep.

This ^
MS6395 is the spec. Most manufacturers have a 0w20, 5w20, and a 5w30 that all meet the performance requirements. If I were you I'd use the Pennzoil 10w30 US version or the Liqui moly 5w20 from Germany because I know both are good oils and close to the recommendation of the manufacturer.

Really it's up to you. Make the choice you believe is best. We have plenty of Jeeps driving around in US deserts of Nevada and Arizona on cheap quick lube oils and doing fine.

Use one of the trusted brands from a trusted country and enjoy driving the Jeep.

I think I will stick with the liqui moly Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back