Why no love for Castrol GTX Diesel 15w-40???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked at FleetPride's national catalog and it appears to list Delo and Shell products only, unless I overlooked something. Maybe they no longer have Castrol Hypuron/Vecton but if interested in it, you could check with your local store. I think I saw that Advance Auto and NAPA offer Vecton as well.

I know this thread is about GTX, but Vecton is in the family. It's just a name that doesn't get mentioned here on this site and I wanted to bring it to light.

I'd run it with confidence.

I see Castrol 15W40 meets DDC's 93K222 & 93K223 requirements. I spent 5 years driving truck for a mega sized, nationwide LTL company, which mainly had Cummins ISX, Detroit DD15, and some Cat C15 motors in their fleet. Their then VP of Maintenance told me west of the Mississippi their Terminals used Mobil Delvac Super 15W40, and their Terminals east of the Mississippi used Castrol. It was a conventional 15W40, so I assume it was Castrol GTX.

The majority of my fellow Drivers there were not gentle on the trucks. And when I say: "Not Gentle", I mean they hammered on those motors. This Company runs their units for a minimum of 1,000,000 miles.

In my humble opinion, if Castrol enables their motors to reach 1,000,000 miles, if you regularly maintain your particular vehicle, Castrol GTX 15W40 will serve you well.

^^^^^ I apologize, I was wrong about Castrol GTX 15W40 meeting DDC's Approval. However, they do offer a FS, a SS, and a Conventional HDEO aimed at the Commercial segment.

But this being said, if Castrol GTX meets the requirements of your engine, I'd use it with confidence.

Useless side note: In the early 80's, I had a 1600 cc VW Baja Bug, and Castrol GTX 20W50 was my oil of choice, due to it being highly recommended by other VW guys, and Harley riders that I was friends with.

If it's anywhere near as good as Magnatec or conventional gas GTX, it should be pretty good oil. AZ has been dumping their Delo XLE 15W40 synblend for $5/gallon lately, I've been rounding up a few gallons of that myself.

The Castrol line-up in full SAPS *w40's does seem to be a strange one here in the UK too.

Castrol GTX 15w40 (ACEA A3/B3, API SN, MB 229.1, VW 501.01 and VW 505.00)
Castrol GTX Ultraclean 10w40 (ACEA A3/B4, API SN, MB 229.1, VW 501.01 and VW 505.00)
Castrol Magnatec 10w40 (ACEA A3/B4, API SN, MB 226.5, VW 501.01 and VW 505.00)
Castrol Edge 0w40 (ACEA A3/B4, API SN, MB 229.3, MB 229.5, VW 502.00 and VW 505.00)

How do you know which is better than the next? Especially when it comes to the first 3. Is GTX Ultraclean better than Magnatec? It's usually cheaper to purchase magnatec.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
I've never seen GTX anywhere....

Our Walmarts and even independent parts stores adore GTX 15w-40.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak

wink.gif

I always thought that GTX was a diesel car/pickup truck oil and Hypuron was the HDEO aimed at my business. Having never seen GTX, I had no interest and claim total ignorance.

Do you also see Hypuron/Vecton up there? I used it 2008-2010 and bought it for about $65 per 5 gallon bucket. It was a genuine improvement over any of the big 3 conventional 15W-40s for a decent price. Oddly enough though, a brief search of the web seems to indicate that Castrol isn't pushing Vecton here at all and it may be hard to find.

Originally Posted by Garak

wink.gif

I always thought that GTX was a diesel car/pickup truck oil and Hypuron was the HDEO aimed at my business. Having never seen GTX, I had no interest and claim total ignorance.

Do you also see Hypuron/Vecton up there? I used it 2008-2010 and bought it for about $65 per 5 gallon bucket. It was a genuine improvement over any of the big 3 conventional 15W-40s for a decent price. Oddly enough though, a brief search of the web seems to indicate that Castrol isn't pushing Vecton here at all and it may be hard to find.

I didn't realise you even had Vecton in the US. I'm amazed they don't push it considering how you guys across the pond like your HDEO's.

Yup it was called Hypuron until a couple years ago. When CK-4 rolled out, they changed the name to Vecton. CK-4 has brought everything up a few notches but 10 years ago Hypuron was an enormous improvement for me. I extended my drains yet oxidation remained much more stable and TBN held high. It was a most impressive oil much like CK-4, way back then. If not for the amazing prices my carrier has offered over the last several years, I would never have stopped using Hypuron.

Last edited:

Last time I checked at a Walmart that closely, and it was a while, the GTX was CI-4, well into the CJ-4 rollout. I'm sure that changed as stock started to move. Our Walmarts did have the commercial versions at the same time, Hypuron, Elxion, and Vection. The last time I saw a Hypuron on the shelves was at Partsource quite a while back.

Bailes1992: In Canada, Wakefield markets pretty hard, so it's not all that difficult to get the Castrol HDEOs, including the commercial ones, at a few chains and a fair number of independent parts stores.

Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 CK4 is an often overlooked HDEO, because Castrol does not actively market this oil. The published PDS for Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 only provides limited technical data. I recently emailed Castrol requesting additional information, and I received the following response:

% Phosphorus: 0.11
% Zinc: 0.12
% Calcium: 0.254
% Sulfated Ash: 1.0

Also, Castrol GTX 15W40 meets the following OEM approvals which will be posted in an updated PDS:

Cummins - CES 20086
Detroit Diesel - DFS 93K222
Ford - WSS-M2C171-F1
Mack - EOS-4.5
MB - 228.31
RVI - RLD-3
Volvo - VDS-4.5

In my area, Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 is sold at Walmart and Tractor Supply Company (TSC) for $12.37/gal and $12.99/gal respectively. TSC runs Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 on sale for $10.99/gal and occasionally for $9.99. Personally, I do not have any experience with this HDEO, but it's worth consideration, especially when purchased on sale.

If there are Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 users, it would be good to hear your feedback on this HDEO.

this oil is on & off at my local wallyworld; currently in stock...thought about grabbing some to use in my scoot, '13 Genuine Buddy 125, and my moto, '14 Yamaha V Star 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back