Looking for an SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never knew that Tiguan could win a Compact SUV shootout. It did for my wife in 2018 although the Mazda CX-5 was bypassed for smallness and crappy tech at time and she felt the Forester was outdated(it was and replaced in 2019). The RAV4 also was outdated.

Small update: After taking a look at all other options, I have to eliminate almost all 3 row-premium SUVs as they are priced over $50k Canadian with tax, or I have to go with lower trims, which I wouldn't prefer.

I currently drive Ford Edge ST for a week (I have a small car blog-website and I review cars), honestly I didn't like it. Driving position is weird, transmission is not the smoothest and it doesn't shift quickly, plastics trims feel cheap. Also, all wheel drive system is extremely front biased which I wouldn't expect that from a car with ST badge. The suspension, and engine are excellent though. Not to mention Ford infotainment system is not the best and looks like it's from 2008. I also drove Lincoln Nautilus 2.0T few months ago, which I enjoyed a lot more despite having the same weird driving position, but at least it isn't trying to be a "wannabe" racecar.

I narrowed my alternatives down to

- Mazda CX-5 GT or Signature - It only has two disadvantages, relatively smaller space (still way better than my car) and no glass roof. Not a deal breaker for me.
- Subaru Forester - Outback (2020) - I will definitely be waiting for the newest Outback before making a decision, and hoping that they also offer the same turbo 2.4L engine in Forester in 2020.
- Hyundai Santa Fe - It's a great SUV with good financing options (like 60 months 0%) and probably the best warranty in this group. The engine is a little bit underwhelming due to it's size, but I can live with it.
- Honda Passport is also a great alternative but their financing options start around 3.99+%. I would probably wait till the end of this year to see if they offer better rates. I wasn't even thinking about this option before this topic, so thank you guys.

Speaking of financing, my plan is to pay 40-50% cash and the rest 4/5 year financing. I am not sure if this is the best idea as I rarely buy a new car.

Originally Posted by dgunay
Small update: After taking a look at all other options, I have to eliminate almost all 3 row-premium SUVs as they are priced over $50k Canadian with tax, or I have to go with lower trims, which I wouldn't prefer.

I currently drive Ford Edge ST for a week (I have a small car blog-website and I review cars), honestly I didn't like it. Driving position is weird, transmission is not the smoothest and it doesn't shift quickly, plastics trims feel cheap. Also, all wheel drive system is extremely front biased which I wouldn't expect that from a car with ST badge. The suspension, and engine are excellent though. Not to mention Ford infotainment system is not the best and looks like it's from 2008. I also drove Lincoln Nautilus 2.0T few months ago, which I enjoyed a lot more despite having the same weird driving position, but at least it isn't trying to be a "wannabe" racecar.

- Mazda CX-5 GT or Signature - It only has two disadvantages, relatively smaller space (still way better than my car) and no glass roof. Not a deal breaker for me.
- Subaru Forester - Outback (2020) - I will definitely be waiting for the newest Outback before making a decision, and hoping that they also offer the same turbo 2.4L engine in Forester in 2020.
- Hyundai Santa Fe - It's a great SUV with good financing options (like 60 months 0%) and probably the best warranty in this group. The engine is a little bit underwhelming due to it's size, but I can live with it.
- Honda Passport is also a great alternative but their financing options start around 3.99+%. I would probably wait till the end of this year to see if they offer better rates. I wasn't even thinking about this option before this topic, so thank you guys.

Speaking of financing, my plan is to pay 40-50% cash and the rest 4/5 year financing. I am not sure if this is the best idea as I rarely buy a new car.

I'd snag the CX5 GTR/Signature, or wait for the 2.4 Turbo Forester, although if it's going to be a CVT, man...I'd need that 150K mile warranty aftermarket or buy from a dealer with a lifetime powertrain warranty or something.

I recently test drove the following small SUVs, VW Tiquan Mazda CX5 , Hyundai Tuscan , Nissan Rogue and Subaru Forrester and Outback. I need to do the CRV and the Escape. So far the Mazda is the one I like best with Hyundai slightly behind it. All about the same HP and all about the same price $25,000-30,000. Hyundai interior perhaps not quite a good as Mazda but warranty is better and Hyundai slightly less expensive. . All MPG about the same, not great in the 28-30 MPG highway, VW was the worse IMO, clunky, interior subpar etc,. Ease of service for oil changes etc would be the Nissan and the Subaru, Subaru CVT transmission was terrible IMO, a CVT but could actually feel shifts in it and just too clunky for me. Tiquan is assembled in Mexico and they had had issues with the transmissions, Honda has had issues with the turbo 4 cyl in cold climates, excessive fuel dilution.

I guess my vote in this pack would be for either the Hyundai Santa Fe or the CX5, as I think they would be highest bang for the buck i.e. value for the money. The passport is looking good but I don't foresee anyone getting a very good discount since they are in high demand. I agree on avoiding a CVT.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Is the Durango too big to be considered here?

Regardless of its size, I don't want to pay more than $50k Canadian OTD for a vehicle. I have to opt out big/premium SUVs as their starting price is at that level and I don't want to buy a car without features like adaptive cruise, cooled seats etc.

I have a quick question especially for Toyota gurus and didn't want to create another topic.

Do you know if Android Auto will be available for 2020 models? I would be interested in RAV4 (non hybrid) as it is a very good alternative with 200 hp+ dual injected engine + torque converted automatic transmission. Not having AA is a deal breaker for me though, I use it all the time and not willing to switch Apple just because of that.

Originally Posted by Ws6
What do you use AA for? I have it and never use it.

Google maps, spotify, calling somebody, voice command for texting/reading text messages, Google search etc. it combines all features in one platform which is really convenient and I use it all the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Google maps, spotify, calling somebody, voice command for texting/reading text messages, Google search etc. it combines all features in one platform which is really convenient and I use it all the time.

Doesnt NAV do all that anyways? It seems redundant.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

I'd rather use my always up to date Apple or google maps than the outdated navigation system in my car.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

I'd rather use my always up to date Apple or google maps than the outdated navigation system in my car.

Makes sense. One time I wanted to go to a restaurant that had apparently closed, so I get that.

Also, the built-in navigation systems in cars usually have a hilariously bad user experience compared to CarPlay or Android Auto.

Originally Posted by glock19
Also, the built-in navigation systems in cars usually have a hilariously bad user experience compared to CarPlay or Android Auto.

I wonder why. Mine is identical. Voice activated commands just like AA. All I gain with using AA is Google Maps, which I agree is cool, and the ability to Google simple things while driving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back