Vehicle Insurance Goes Down Again

I live in Ohio and you can Google we pay about the cheapest rates in the nation. My insurance with State farm did go up last May. I pay every 6 months $380. I have a 300k policy and full coverage. I did shop around and Amica was the most expensive by far.

My wife rear-ended another driver back in April and totaled out our van and the other vehicle. Our insurance company paid out enough for us to get a one year newer model van (same model). I increased all of our coverages from 50K/100K to 100K/300K and added rental car coverage and our premium actually went down. The insurance co. is USAA and we've had them for over 20 years. We have no plans of changing companies...

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Spartanfool

Michigan is the most expensive state for car insurance for the sixth consecutive year.
Most Expensive Insurance By State

We're Number One!

From the link: "Michigan guarantees unlimited, lifetime medical benefits to auto accident victims, which dramatically increases an insurer's risk, and your premium".

That ain't free.

MI has the highest rates because of no fault. If they'd get rid of it, their rates would go down, but nobody has the cahunas to take on the insurance companies. No fault is a big money grab for insurance companies...

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

I live in La., the state with the 2nd HIGHEST insurance rates in America.
mad.gif
Michigan and La. usually switch off and on for the number 1 spot every other year.

Michigan is the most expensive state for car insurance for the sixth consecutive year.

We're Number One!

thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted by grampi

We're Number One!

From the link: "Michigan guarantees unlimited, lifetime medical benefits to auto accident victims, which dramatically increases an insurer's risk, and your premium".

That ain't free.

MI has the highest rates because of no fault. If they'd get rid of it, their rates would go down, but nobody has the cahunas to take on the insurance companies. No fault is a big money grab for insurance companies...

It's not the no-fault it is well known that it is because of the lifetime medical with no limit as mentioned above.

However that is changing due to new legislation beginning July 2020 we will have the option to choose how much medical coverage we want.

Originally Posted by bradepb
Originally Posted by grampi

We're Number One!

That ain't free.

It's not the no-fault it is well known that it is because of the lifetime medical with no limit as mentioned above.

However that is changing due to new legislation beginning July 2020 we will have the option to choose how much medical coverage we want.

It's because of the no fault that the lifetime medical makes rates so expensive. Let's say you get into an accident but the other driver was at fault. If you need lifetime medical care because of the accident, YOUR insurance company has to pay for it even though the accident was the other driver's fault...

Your insurance is not paying for the medical care , the state is from their fund from the insurance companies . The fund has like 3 billion dollars in it . Should be self funding by now. But not when the govt is in control of it .

State Farm was the only company that was reasonable about a 1997 Probe GT and the Mustang and I've been with them ever since. Rates have been rising for me due to vehicle choices, but when paired with homeowner's, remains as low a price as I can get elsewhere. Every time I've called them about something or had an issue they've been expedient and professional, so I'm sticking around.

USAA Insurance (CT), both vehicles: $134.27/month

Mileage: 9k for FXT and 10k for Legacy

Accidents: One at-fault bumper-bender 6 years ago, both of our bumpers replaced; one not-at-fault
-----She lost in criminal court but sued in civil --> short story: a lot of after-the-fact pics taken that contradicted my MANY pics --> USAA settled 8 years ago

Comp/Collision (full glass coverage): $1k deductible
-----No deductible for glass

Bodily Injury Liability: $500k/$1M (per person/accident)
-----Un(under)insursed same

Property Damage: $300k (per accident)

Medical Payments: $100k (per person)

Rental Reimbursement: Standard Class

Towing and Labor (including road-side assistance)

//

I'm going to look around, but I've been in some not-at-fault accidents where they were involved right away and took care of me WAY before the other party, so that's worth a buck or two for me.

Just checked with Amica and, to get the same premium as USAA (well, $10 less per month), they lower all coverages...

I just changed all of those on USAA.com and was quoted the same, so no difference switching to another highly-rated carrier

When I started this post it was the first time my truck insurance had gone down, instead of up.
I have been with State Farm 35 years this year. My policy renews every 6 months. It has gone down $4.22 per month this 6 month term. I must be doing something right. I can't remember the last time it went up, if it did anyway.
Anyone else with SF have a policy that keeps going down?

I've has State Farm, and the same agent since I started driving. I got all the discounts, and I did some shopping with some independent insurance brokers, they can only offer a police equal to State Farm was offering.(again with all the discounts)

So no need to change. However I will say that shopping around gave me insight as to "how much" coverage I need for each item. My main concern is medical payments. I feel that a standard policy does not have enough protection when it comes to medical payments. 100k/500k coverage is not enough.

Mine just went up to $5000 a year. Last year was $3500.

Im extremely law abiding. Haven’t been pulled over in 20 years. No accidents my fault ever . Did get rear ended once.

Insurance agent(s) have shopped around and this is my best deal. What the heck?!

I left USAA after 20 years because their prices kept creeping up but they have never crept up $1500 in one year .

Originally Posted by Spector
cannot compare apples to apples on auto insurance policies, yours may have gone down but SF may be much more expensive in one's state/locality etc. Too many variables. Plus yours is a 6 month polciy, some prefer annual and doesn't SF actually charge for the decreasing premium feature, good driver rider???

I live in La., the state with the 2nd HIGHEST insurance rates in America.
mad.gif
Michigan and La. usually switch off and on for the number 1 spot every other year.
Open the link below, then scroll down to see the results;
https://www.insurancebusinessmag.co...hest-auto-insurance-premiums-159759.aspx

Would be more impressive if you lived in the lowest and it went down.

That reminds me, I need to call my insurance company. They sent me two different annual renewal statements with all the same.vehiclea and discounts and the difference is almost $400.

Back