2012 Chevrolet Express 4.8L: What to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at this rig tomorrow, and wondering what are the weak spots on Express Vans, and/or the Quigley 4x4 conversion.

I'll be looking at typical maintenance items, but would love to hear anything platform-specific I should check for.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/edmonds-2012-chevrolet-express/6937752408.html

[Linked Image]

I would be scared of a conversion 4x4. Especially now it's gonna hard to get some items above the front diff/ drive shaft. Also why use the 4.8 to make a 4x4? Im surprised they didn't start with a 5.3.

Check for oil leaks underneath.

Quigley is a customer of mine. They do first rate work using all OEM components with few exceptions. I wouldn't let that stop me at all.

Check the RPO sheet (in the glovebox?) for rear end ratio. Although as a conversion they may have changed it... I think this is a 6AT, but all the same, a 3/4 ton van with off road tires and extra 4WD parts, suggests to me that a 4.8 is perhaps a bit too little. Maybe just fine if your expectations are correct.

At $30k just what do you need out of this? I mean, your decision and all. Planning off-road jaunts, or need a van that can conquer winter?

Originally Posted by supton
At $30k just what do you need out of this? I mean, your decision and all. Planning off-road jaunts, or need a van that can conquer winter?

This is a rig for a youth ski team, they are sick of using a 2WD Express over the pass all winter, and want something 4x4.

What are the pros/cons of this conversion vs getting an AWD Express? I believe they make those from the factory, correct?

83000 miles 8 years old and $30000? doesnt add up.. also 4.8L in a 2500 4x4??

Last edited:
Those vans hold up well...not a lot of platform specific issues that year. The body was introduced for the 1996 model year, so a lot of the kinks were worked out long ago and parts are easy to find.

Make sure everything works, make sure it drives well, and check the usual things you would on any used vehicle.

I checked the GM history, and that van has had no warranty repairs. It was PDI'd, and recall 14082 (modifies trim over passenger front air bag for safety compliance) was performed at 30,999 miles. Other than that, nothing. It has probably been a pretty good van given the lack of warranty claims.

Quigley is the leader in 4x4 van conversions.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
I checked the GM history, and that van has had no warranty repairs. It was PDI'd, and recall 14082 (modifies trim over passenger front air bag for safety compliance) was performed at 30,999 miles. Other than that, nothing. It has probably been a pretty good van given the lack of warranty claims.

Nice! Thank you for checking!!

35.gif

I've been toying with the idea of a 3500 van as a back up truck & retiring the ‘93 GMC in my sig-but I wouldn't want to tow nor haul heavy with a 4.8, I'm thinking 6.0 myself.

Friend of mine has a 2011 4.8 2500 Express van. It pulls strong. We hauled a pickup truck on a uhaul trailer back from NC. He never went below 65 the entire way. Even in the crazy hills!

We have a fleet of GM G2500s (2WD) with the 4.8 V8 - ranging from 2007 to 2017 - not many issues with any of them.

Minor stuff usually .. brake pulsation from front rotors around 200k , shocks wear out about 60k-80k , few of them had blower motor resistors short out and front stabilizer bushings wear out around 125k.

Originally Posted by spavel6
This is a rig for a youth ski team, they are sick of using a 2WD Express over the pass all winter, and want something 4x4.

What are the pros/cons of this conversion vs getting an AWD Express? I believe they make those from the factory, correct?

Before I bought my AWD Sienna, I was strongly considering an Express with factory AWD, or a Quigley conversion (preferably a Ford E-Series). I found that Expresses in the passenger configuration (not a cargo van) with factory AWD were apparently very rare. Much rarer than I thought they would be. I guess that explains why Quigley converts 2wd models. I think I found only one anywhere near me, out of dozens of searches.
Originally Posted by Rand
83000 miles 8 years old and $30000? doesnt add up.. also 4.8L in a 2500 4x4??

Quigleys command a huge price premium over 2wd models, and given how uncommon they are, it's a seller's market. Quigley charges over $12k to convert a brand new van, and they won't convert older vans. So, your options are either pay $40k+ for a new (or almost new) one, plus another $12k to have it converted, or try to find one used and pay whatever the seller is asking for it. KBB says the equivalent 2wd van is worth about $13k. So, $13k + a $12k conversion, is getting close to $30k. The insanely high prices are why I didn't buy one. I saw a used, very rusted 2006 E-350 Quigley with over 230k miles, and they were still asking over $15k.
crazy2.gif

Those vans are the ultimate tough work van. My Dad had a 2000 G35 5.7 extended and it went 300k km getting beat the entire way. The only weak spot was the door latches, and they fixed that with the facelift in 2003?

We had '99-'00 Savana 2500s, all of them 5.7/4L80E, only major issue was I lost OD on one (which took a while for the rebuilder to get right, bad front reman pumps), and the usual weak front rotors/pads, a couple LIM gasket failures, and fuel pumps. Otherwise they were the best work vehicles I ever drove, much better than any Econoline, and the junk Transit/Transit Connects. I'm mainly curious about the durability of the 6.0 LS/LQ4 engine, I'm hoping they don't suffer from the Dexcool issues of the 5.7s. The 14 bolt GM rear end & 4L80E seem to be a known quantity. I'm still a little curious how a 4.8 can handle a ski team, their gear, & mountain passes-think I would look hard for a Duramax 3500.

Originally Posted by exranger06

Quigleys command a huge price premium over 2wd models, and given how uncommon they are, it's a seller's market. Quigley charges over $12k to convert a brand new van, and they won't convert older vans. So, your options are either pay $40k+ for a new (or almost new) one, plus another $12k to have it converted, or try to find one used and pay whatever the seller is asking for it. KBB says the equivalent 2wd van is worth about $13k. So, $13k + a $12k conversion, is getting close to $30k. The insanely high prices are why I didn't buy one. I saw a used, very rusted 2006 E-350 Quigley with over 230k miles, and they were still asking over $15k.
crazy2.gif

Well thats something I didnt know. I guess its good someone pays that much but not me.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
We had '99-'00 Savana 2500s, all of them 5.7/4L80E, only major issue was I lost OD on one (which took a while for the rebuilder to get right, bad front reman pumps), and the usual weak front rotors/pads, a couple LIM gasket failures, and fuel pumps. Otherwise they were the best work vehicles I ever drove, much better than any Econoline, and the junk Transit/Transit Connects. I'm mainly curious about the durability of the 6.0 LS/LQ4 engine, I'm hoping they don't suffer from the Dexcool issues of the 5.7s. The 14 bolt GM rear end & 4L80E seem to be a known quantity. I'm still a little curious how a 4.8 can handle a ski team, their gear, & mountain passes-think I would look hard for a Duramax 3500.

I would disagree. Granted, I'm not on the 4.8 bandwagon either. That poor little small block already needs to rev a TON to make any power, and hauling around 8 250lb guys and their luggage are not going to be easy on it. That being said, the Duramax in a van chassis is an absolute NIGHTMARE to work on, and being a diesel you will have to work on it. I don't mean it will break, I just mean standard stuff: belts, filters, things like that. They absolutely cram the diesel in those vans.

I would absolutely hold off and search for a 6.0 van. I work on these vans all the time, and I've driven fully loaded plumbers vans with the 4.8. They do fine, but you can tell the thing is really giving it's all. Add true 4x4 to that, a bunch of burly dudes and a weekends work of gear, plus those big tires?? You're just asking for trouble. Just my 2 cents.

*EDIT* I noticed that no one really answered your question RE what makes a Quigley better than a factory AWD van. Simple: 2-speed transfer case. The factory system is an on-demand type AWD that has a permanent split, so it's always engaged. With a 2-speed case, you can flip to 2wd and have the benefits of less driveline wear and better economy. Plus, you don't have any of those pesky AWD t-case issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I'm still a little curious how a 4.8 can handle a ski team, their gear, & mountain passes-think I would look hard for a Duramax 3500.

Probably better than a 5.7, and it's not like a full size 4wd van with a ski team on board needs to be flying. I am sure it's slow, but probably just fine for the task.

Diesels are a lot of money and maintenance...gasser all the way for this. Regearing is cheaper than a diesel if necessary.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Friend of mine has a 2011 4.8 2500 Express van. It pulls strong. We hauled a pickup truck on a uhaul trailer back from NC. He never went below 65 the entire way. Even in the crazy hills!

I find that pretty interesting. What's the vehicle weight like, versus your run of the mill Silverado? 'cuz it seems no-one liked the 4.8 in the Silverado. I'm guessing because of the 4AT followed up with highway gearing.

The Navy has a ton of 4.8 3/4 ton vans that we use here. The are routinely full of people and test equipment. They move the 2WD vans just fine.

The ones we have use the 6L90E. LS engines do not suffer from Dex-cool issues as they have a dry intake.

The vans here have been pretty trouble free.. Mostly brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back