Westlake Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in need of a set of tires in an oddball size-155/80r13.

There aren't very many options in this size, and these popped up on Amazon for $31 each. The only thing else I've found in this size is a $60 Kuhmo from Tire Rack, which at least has the advantage of being a name I've heard of
smile.gif
, but the last I checked wasn't exactly a high-end brand either.

For the price, they seem worth a shot, and I'm sure at least are better than the 25 year old tires on the car now(I've yet to actually drive on those, and don't plan on it either-whatever I'm taking the wheels to the tire store rather than driving the car there). They're also not exactly going in a high performance application.

Any thoughts on them?

Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co.,Ltd. is the actual manufacturer as best I can determine from the internet.

I'm not one to condemn all Chinese quality, but I've seen Chinese quality all over the place good and bad.

Good luck with whatever one you choose.

Should be fine. Like you say, not too many choices in that size anyway.

Do you have a shop in mind to install them? Keep in mind some shops refuse to install new carry-ins and the ones that will install them can charge more than their normal install price. This could make these tires a not so great overall deal.
I know the local garage/tire shop I use charges $20/ea to mount and balance tires not bought from him. Bought from them it's $15.

I put Westlake RP18's on my wife's Passat. They have been great in rain and snow and are smooth and fairly quiet on the street/highway. I would buy them again.

If it's for that MG or Austin, any of those Chinese tires would be better from a construction or materials standpoint than the OEM Dunlop/Avon/Pirelli that they might have been equipped with in the 70s. I think they'll be fine, exercise caution in the rain though.

Now, if those cars have to be concours-correct and to pass snuff from the judges, the only option is to install reproduction Dunlops(or Michelin XZXs/Pirelli P7s) from that era's tread pattern. Luckily, doesn't seem to the case here.

Thanks guys for the responses. It sounds like they might be worth a shot, but I'll get a mounted and balanced price on the Wal-Mart option too. One advantage that I always think of with buying from a chain retailer is that I can use road hazard and actually get the tire fixed in a reasonable amount of time if something happens while I'm out on the road. I don't ALWAYS have a lot of faith in Wal-Mart, but at least they are everywhere in the US.

Originally Posted by nthach
If it's for that MG or Austin, any of those Chinese tires would be better from a construction or materials standpoint than the OEM Dunlop/Avon/Pirelli that they might have been equipped with in the 70s. I think they'll be fine, exercise caution in the rain though.

Now, if those cars have to be concours-correct and to pass snuff from the judges, the only option is to install reproduction Dunlops(or Michelin XZXs/Pirelli P7s) from that era's tread pattern. Luckily, doesn't seem to the case here.

Yes, it's for the Marina(which is not roadworthy at the moment, but hopefully will be once I go through the brakes). I have Yokohamas on my MG, and even though I've caught flack for those from some people(the General Altimax is actually a favorite among MG guys) I still go back to you comment about them being a lot better than what was on the car new. I can get the OEM style Pirellis(with the "dogbone" tread) but they're pricey and tire design has come a long way in 50 years. The Yokohamas I have actually grip well in the rain, but then I also try to avoid driving it in the rain
smile.gif

The Marina will have to prove itself to be watertight before it gets driven in the rain, and given that its a 70s BL product I don't have high hopes for that. Aside from that, I doubt that there are concourse competitions for the car
smile.gif
...it might be difficult to actually get all 20 or so of them that are running and driveable in the US in the same place to have any sort of judged competition.

The Toyo Extensa AS is available in that size
smile.gif

You can also get the Walmart Douglas tire, which actually isn't bad at all!

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
I'm in need of a set of tires in an oddball size-155/80r13.
165x75x13 inch tires are only one tenth of an inch less in diameter. Could they fit your wheels & be found in a different brand? I hate stuff from communist chinese (always small letters).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by litesong
I hate stuff from communist chinese (always small letters).

Most Douglas tires from Walmart are US-made
smile.gif

Not many choices in that size. I'm generally not a fan of very modern looking tires on vintage cars and not a fan at all of low end ones, but your choices are limited. I run Vredestein Sprint Classic's on the TR6 and will be putting Pirelli's on the 2002.

Universal Vintage Tires lists a Dunlop in your size, and there are more choices if you are a bit flexible in size, but stay close to the 23" overall diameter.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Sailuns for $28

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sailun-Atrezzo-SH406-155-80R13-79T-Tire/442762358

I would probably go with the Ironman though. I think they are an offshoot of Cooper

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ironman-gr-906-P155-80R13-79T-bsw-all-season-tire/234925758

Another vote for Ironman. They are a division of Hercules, and I believe they are manufactured in Ohio. Please, buy American if possible. I bought a used F-150 4X4 with a set of brand new Ironman All Country A/T all-terrain tires, From Day One, I was impressed. Not an expensive tire, but they ride and handle like a set of Michelins. Very little road noise, even though they have an aggressive tread pattern. I was skeptical as to how well they would do in the snow, and did some research. Turns out they are rated as an all-season tire. Tirebuyer had about 250 reviews for this tire, and their overall score was 4 1/2 out of 5. Not a single complaint about how they performed in snow. A few good reviews on that. I intend to buy Ironman tires for many years to come. Do a search for Ironman tires and that particular model and mention Tirebuyer in the search. Read the reviews. Those Ironman tires mentioned above are what you want.

Originally Posted by Vigilant
……. Another vote for Ironman. They are a division of Hercules, and I believe they are manufactured in Ohio. Please, buy American if possible …….

I'm sorry, but Hercules is a private brand of ATD (American Tire Distributors), which while based in Ohio, has NO production facilities at all. They have tires built to their specs from manufacturing facilities all over the world, including China.

Might the Ironman series be built by Copper in the US? Yes, but they could also be built by Copper in China, or even by a Chinese tire manufacturer.

And it appears that the country of origin is NOT something that is published except by Tire Rack - which doesn't carry either Hercules nor ironman.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
……. Another vote for Ironman. They are a division of Hercules, and I believe they are manufactured in Ohio. Please, buy American if possible …….

I'm sorry, but Hercules is a private brand of ATD (American Tire Distributors), which while based in Ohio, has NO production facilities at all. They have tires built to their specs from manufacturing facilities all over the world, including China.

Might the Ironman series be built by Copper in the US? Yes, but they could also be built by Copper in China, or even by a Chinese tire manufacturer.

And it appears that the country of origin is NOT something that is published except by Tire Rack - which doesn't carry either Hercules nor ironman.

Good info. I stand corrected. Thanks.

I stand by the rest of my statement.

Last edited:
I have to admit that there is some appeal to buying tires from a place like Wal-Mart since I know I can get them taken care of anywhere in the country, so I'll certainly weigh that option.

I had someone point out another consideration to me, though. The car is currently wearing 185/70s, which are close to the same diameter. I have 185/70s on my MG in place of the original 165HR14s(165/82 in modern terms) and they are close to the correct diameter also. That gives me access to a good selection of more modern tires, but also has the side effect of pretty dramatically increasing steering weight on a car without power steering-something that makes the car feel a bit less "nimble" than I'd like. Of course, I'm not going to be driving the Marina like its a sports car, so that may not be a consideration, but it's also a lot heavier than the MG so steering weight is at least worth some consideration esp. when parking.

In any case, the Marina also has aftermarket aluminum "turbine" wheels on it, and I've been advised that they're PROBABLY wider than the 4.5" rim of the stock steel disk wheels. I may get out with a tire iron and see if I can pull the tire off the spare myself and measure the rim width, as if it's say a 5.5" I might need to get another set 185/70s. If I go that route, I'll get General Altimaxes(which are a favorite of a lot of MG guys) and call it a day.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
……. . I may get out with a tire iron and see if I can pull the tire off the spare myself and measure the rim width, …...

No need to take off the tire. It should be stamped on the back side of the wheel.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer

I've bought a pair of Hercules tires for a beater my parents had. Made in Thailand by Deestone Tire or Vee Rubber. A few were made by PT Garuda in Indonesia. The Ironman line is mostly made in China. Only a few Hercules tires are made by Cooper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back