TPMS Sensors for a 2012 Highlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bough 4-2019 Camry wheels which had 235/45R18 94V. I will put a 245/60R18 snow tires on it to use on a 2012 Highland Limited. The Camry wheels do not have TPMS so I'm looking to buy some from Ebay. There are so many options out there. Help me out if you had done this before. Do I get used Highlander, new aftermarket, used Camry TPMS........

Either get OEM Toyota or Denso. I finally purchased the Denso's.

I have done this and wasted money trying to save money. You could talk with your tire guy as they would know what works for your car. The last thing they want
is for you to keep coming back with that darn tire light on and them having to reset everything.

Where I buy my tires you have to get their approval of what they will install before you bring just any old brand in. They used Denso's in Toyotas.

I recently purchased two complete sets of tires from a Discount Tire store in VA. They only charged $60 per TPMS sensor. That's installed, programmed and warrantied for six years. The brand they used was Dill. No problems at all in the Ridgeline and M35.

For whatever reason, Toyota is one of the worst vehicles for TPMS. Usually the sensor ID must be written down and programmed into the cars computer with a high dollar scan tool. That's one thing Chrysler beat them at years ago with a self learning system, which should have been a requirement by all manufacturers. The TPMS law would have been a great idea if they had made it a simple system for ALL vehicles, with real time pressure readouts easily displayed, and programmed with a magnet like Chevy did clear back in 1997 on the Corvette. The newer vehicle using wheel speed to check for a low tire isn't bad either, since no sensor is even used. But, by the time you notice the light, that most people don't even know what it means, they have already crashed anyway.

Last edited:
I like Discount Tires that is close to me to mount my tires. Will check out Amazon and used Toyota ones on ebay.

What tool do you use to disable the system?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Traction
For whatever reason, Toyota is one of the worst vehicles for TPMS. Usually the sensor ID must be written down and programmed into the cars computer with a high dollar scan tool. That's one thing Chrysler beat them at years ago with a self learning system, which should have been a requirement by all manufacturers. The TPMS law would have been a great idea if they had made it a simple system for ALL vehicles, with real time pressure readouts easily displayed, and programmed with a magnet like Chevy did clear back in 1997 on the Corvette. The newer vehicle using wheel speed to check for a low tire isn't bad either, since no sensor is even used. But, by the time you notice the light, that most people don't even know what it means, they have already crashed anyway.

Unbelievably ridiculous.
I had that issue on Sienna. Put all seasons after taking of winter set. Light on. Went to dealership to ask about how does it work (coming from European cars, they automatically pick up signal, so was not aware of this mumbo jumbo). Guy in dealership said: best thing is to take down instrument panel and take out TPMS light
smile.gif

If you have an old WinXP laptop you can go on ebay and find a copy of Techstream for cheap. [Maybe you're good with computers and can get it to run on Win10, or maybe they finally ripped off a later version, dunno.] I have that and could read the ECU to get the values for the sensors. If you have this program (and it's cheap!) you could change to your heart's content. Just write down the values. Or take photos if you want.

I bought a Dorman to replace a sensor in my all seasons but it didn't seem to take. I was too cheap to put a set into my winter tires and since then I've gotten used to the light always being on, and as such I just haven't been bothered to look at it again. Not required for state inspection so... it gets ignored.

Toyota does have a pretty lame system for TPMS.

Originally Posted by Tundragod

I'm not aware of a way to program it out; you could try hunting around on the model specific forums. I recall someone came up with a hack to disable on my Tundra, involved some diodes and resistors, which seemed overkill to me but I never bothered to read into it too far.

Electrical tape is a tool in some circles...

For my Honda Accord, every Fall and Springs, I switch wheels, wait for the light to come on, then take the car to Discount Tires and they reprogram them (turn the light off) for free since I buy Winter tires from them. For the Highlander, I found this BLIZZAK DM-V2 SNOW TIRES, 245/60/18 - GREAT CONDITION! - $450 (LESS THAN 3K MILES). Since the tires are pretty good deal, I'm going to get it and see if DT can reset the light just as they do on the Honda.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Tundragod

I'm not aware of a way to program it out; you could try hunting around on the model specific forums. I recall someone came up with a hack to disable on my Tundra, involved some diodes and resistors, which seemed overkill to me but I never bothered to read into it too far.

Electrical tape is a tool in some circles...

Disabling the system, or taking out the bulb is a really bad idea, plus it is illegal as all get out. Electrical tape is about the best thing to do if you must.

Originally Posted by Traction
For whatever reason, Toyota is one of the worst vehicles for TPMS. Usually the sensor ID must be written down and programmed into the cars computer with a high dollar scan tool.

Yea, you need to get the sensor IDs and program them in with Techstream or a aftermarket scan tool with 2-way communication and Toyota/Lexus software. Toyota's TPMS implementation is half-baked, and if someone tries to press the TPMS SET button in the car with bad sensors or unprogrammed ones, you also lock out the TPMS ECU and it needs to be reset out of a loop: http://www.thetpmsforum.com/showthread.php?3807-Toyota-TPMS-stuck-in-a-loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back