propane water htr pilot went out

Status
Not open for further replies.
40 gallons on gauge Been over 2yrs since I last had to re-light pilot . I don't have a clue why it would go out. Any ideas TIA

Years ago I had a gas WH that if the wind blew just right through the exhaust it would blow the pilot out. Current heater is 13 years old with no problems.

Depends on what model you have. I would generally suspect it needs a new thermocouple which you can get for $18.00
If it is one of the newer ones with the computerized control it could be a myriad of things.

A down draft can make it go out. Most heaters in last 15 years have a thermopile not a thermocouple. Same concept but different operation. Re light it and see if it holds!

Originally Posted by caravanmike
A down draft can make it go out. Most heaters in last 15 years have a thermopile not a thermocouple. Same concept but different operation. Re light it and see if it holds!

This. I wouldn't worry about it unless it goes out again. A wayward air draft created by dropping something or exposure could have caused it.

I know of one instance where a friend let a sheet of plywood fall to the floor. He didn't realize it had blew out the pilot light until later on. It took a couple of days to put two and two together on that one.

Yeah, I have that happen once in a while. Whenever it goes out, I just relight it and it's fine. You only have a problem if you try to relight it and it won't stay lit. Sometimes when it happened the basement window was open and I figured it was just a gust of wind, but other times it was closed. Just one of those things, sometimes it doesn't mean anything, just relight it and see what happens.

With newer heaters there may be some type of screen to let air get to the pilot. Any way, a good cleaning around the pilot area may help.

Thanks guys. Usually I forget and run out of propane. Not this time. Not gonna get my knickers in a twist. The thermo-couple the has a tiny reset button Only 2 wires so its just a loop? . The trouble is I have to re-learn the process evry time it happens. That it is a spring of some sort that opens and needs a re-set or cruds up over time sounds very logical. It just a regulator with a burner No electronics, thankfully. Its a 40 gallon Whirlpool had it made for them in TN. Nothin' fancy. It 13 yrs old from Manf date. As htrs go, it has lasted longer than average.
grin2.gif

Get you some fine steel wood and clean those little "electrodes". You will probably see some white looking dusty stuff on them. Just gently scrub all that residue off them.

I'd try that before I bought anything.

Well, that's what fixed mine. Your results may be different.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back