Discard veggies from homemade veggie broth? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been researching making my own vegetable broth to include in my own soups. I found a recipe for my InstantPot pressure cooker that lists the veggies to include and instructs you to discard the veggies that went into the pot after you're finished pressure cooking. To me, that seems dumb - why not just include what you can into your soup?

I found a recipe I want to take for my lunch during the weekdays, "Garden Tomato Soup with Chickpeas" - https://bit.ly/2OlxPOi

Rather than going to all of the trouble to pre-make the vegetable broth, discard the solids and then include the veggie broth into the soup, can't I just include all of any given recipe veggies (like the above recipe) and other ingredients into my little crockpot (when I arrive at work), include maybe 1 cup of water, cook on high until lunchtime and call it good? This sounds like, to me, I'd eliminate the hassle of pre-making my own broth.

Does that all make sense (I hope)?

smile.gif

Ed

Removing cooked to death vegetables/meat is pretty standard for making stock. If you don't mind just leave it in.

yes leave them in...that would be vegetable soup. I never understood the concept of making veggie stock. The reason you would discard in making stock is, they are cooked to death. But why toss all that great fiber?

Yes, that's the way that it's done...the stock is then the stock with the other ingrediants to make the soup...

I don't ever bother with vegetable stocks...

Well one could always take those veggies and press them with one of those italian gadgets and put them in the stock, that would greatly improve the flavour of it, unless one needs clear stock

It's not required but then you're making vegetable soup, not stock.

Stock usually omits the meat or vegetable because you only want the flavor and base, you don't want the actual meat or vegetables. This is important because in certain dishes you simply cannot have the meat or vegetables actually be there because it either alters the taste, texture, consistency of the resulting dish.

The primary reason to discard is that the veggies are literally cooked to mush. They will be unappetizing and near flavorless to eat because the flavor has been extracted into the broth. There is nothing harmful about the veggies from a health standpoint.

As some have mentioned, you could puree the veggies and add them back if you want, but you'll also want to do up some properly prepared fresh veggies for texture and flavor.

Originally Posted by Shannow
I don't ever bother with vegetable stocks...

Veg stocks are great. Not only for making soups, but also to freeze and keep on hand for when making rice etc.
Since all the liquid goes into the rice, why not flavor it? It tastes amazing and far healthier than using water alone.

I make my broth with the veggie refuse (onion peels, carrot tops, celery bottoms, garlic peels, horseradish peel etc.).
This is all put into a pressure cooker with brazed beef bones/chichen bones for the added collagen/gelatin/bone marrow.
Makes for an amazingly diverse and healthy broth that cannot be matched by anything on a store shelf.
The health benefits you get from this is equivalent to what many supplements offer, but in a cheaper, more natural form that's easily absorbed into the body.

Literally nothing gets wasted in our kitchen, until every bit of nutritional value can be extracted and used to flavor/enhance other dishes.

I'll do bone stocks, with added onions and carrots andparsnips etc...my comments were on vegetable stocks themselves.

Heston Blumenthall had a great tip on chicken stocks...use whole wings, dust with milk powder, and roast, until caramilased

It's just the recipe. And because they were talking about the "broth", it mentions to remove the veggies. Do what you wish. I'd keep them in too, otherwise, pull them out and eat'em separately.

I like steamed veggies with some grated parmesan or pecorino/romano.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Put the veggies in a blender with some liquid then put back .

This...I would puree the veggies and return them to the batch.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Put the veggies in a blender with some liquid then put back .

This...I would puree the veggies and return them to the batch.

Mmm, that sounds good too!
smile.gif

If you make vegetable stock, you remove the overcooked and tasteless veggies. If you want vegetable soup with veggies, use vegetable stock and put fresh vegetables in the stock and don't overcook them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back