M1 0-30AFE in my daughters 2014 Bluetec MB diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has had this MB S 350 since new and her husband has used this oil( M1 0-30AFE) exclusively as he changes it himself. I just found this out today. The car has 130K and runs very well with 8-12 K OCIs.

Last edited:
Either 0-30 ESP or 5-30 ESP is book on this engine. I just drove the Benz the other day and it runs great.

Originally Posted by tig1
Either 0-30 ESP or 5-30 ESP is book on this engine. I just drove the Benz the other day and it runs great.

Yes, either is fine.
thumbsup2.gif

For now...

You def want a speced low ash diesel oil. Turbo seals eventually go out and a new dpf isn't cheap. Had to put one on my uncle's gl320 at 180k bc turbo seals were bad and car started drinking oil, and that was with the low ash M1 5w40 esp.

Glad to see it worked out thus far. The company I work for has a bunch of 2.1L and 3.0L BlueTec diesels with 200k+ running MB branded M1 0w30esp At 20k intervals.

MB diesels are tough as nails. Hopefully they switch to the esp 0w30 moving forward.

Last edited:
She has had this MB S 350 since new and her husband has used this oil( M1 0-30AFE) exclusively as he changes it himself. I just found this out today. The car has 130K and runs very well with 8-12 K OCIs.

She will have premature DPF failure.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Yes she will. Have him call about getting the DPF replaced. That will motivate him to use a low saps oil.

Originally Posted by dbias
Originally Posted by edyvw

Yes she will. Have him call about getting the DPF replaced. That will motivate him to use a low saps oil.

LOL. Exactly.

It doesn't seem to make much since to use diesel engines in cars any longer. Better MPG is one, but that is offset by much higher diesel prices VS gas, and much higher maintenance cost. Longevity is in question as well maintained gas engines will run 200-400K these days. I did find out NAPA can order M1 0-5-30 ESP oil, so that will be the next OC in the MB.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to make much since to use diesel engines in cars any longer. Better MPG is one, but that is offset by much higher diesel prices VS gas, and much higher maintenance cost. Longevity is in question as well maintained gas engines will run 200-400K these days. I did find out NAPA can order M1 0-5-30 ESP oil, so that will be the next OC in the MB.

Check out Ebay and Amazon for ESP 0w and 5W30, they occasionally have the oil in the $8/ quart range.

Thanks … makes me wonder how many times the M1 Formula M got used at 0.9 ?

This week 87 gas is 2.92, 93 gas is 3.52, diesel is 2.77

Seems like gas is dropping again though.. it fluctuates over 40cents/week

Originally Posted by Rand

I get point about much more complex nature of moder diesels, I owned one. But that torque is worth it!

Even with the difference in price, the additional maintenance makes diesel appealing mainly to hobbyists than those wanting to save money.

I recently (just yesterday) found myself eyeing up the 2019 Cruz hatchback diesel.
Gets amazing fuel economy, but as we all know that's not the only thing to consider.
coffee2.gif

Let us know the difference between gas and diesel in August(assuming there are no hurricanes in the Gulf). In these parts diesel is always much higher than gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back