Swapping out PF48E for M1-113

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

My LSA is in for a service on Friday and the dealer is going to put in a PF48E, which I'm not happy with, I don't like it's construction or e-core filters in general. A local importer has the older model M1-113 available near me, but I can't get the newer M1-113A.

Even so, would any of you consider swapping out the PF48E for the 113? I'm going to have to do it myself as soon as I get home, and I'll have to put the 48E back in before next service for warranty reasons. I only do about 1200 mile OCI's on M1 5w-30 EP

Thanks
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Am I missing something? Why would you worry about a Mobil1 oil filter not meeting your vehicle's specifications or jeopardizing your new car warranty?

Hi, thanks for the reply,

It might be different in the States, but here in Australia we generally have to use OEM parts for the warranty to be valid.

I would run the UPF48R.....GM part# 12626224. It's a Mobil 1 filter with a Acdelco sticker & box!!

Not that I believe you would have any issue with a PF48E, I've seen them used & abused with no issues to date.

We need to realize the OP is in Australia & is NOT protected by US consumer laws, Though Australia may very well have similar laws??

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I would run the UPF48R.....GM part# 12626224. It's a Mobil 1 filter with a Acdelco sticker & box!!

Not that I believe you would have any issue with a PF48E, I've seen them used & abused with no issues to date.

We need to realize the OP is in Australia & is NOT protected by US consumer laws, Though Australia may very well have similar laws??

Thanks so much
smile.gif

I had a look at the UPF48R but literally can't find it in Australia anywhere! And this guy seems to be the only one in Aus with the M1 filters as well

You are probably right about the pf48e but I'm not comfortable with the look of it compared to the old PF48. I know that is complete supposition but I just don't want it in my car, I gotta have steel end caps at least!

The guy who imports the M1 filter, (you guys should see his shop… It is an oil fans wet dream - products from floor to ceiling.!), Lives just down the road from me and it only cost me $12 USD which is a bargain in Australia believe me..

We do have a fairly vague consumer protection laws here, but the hoops you have to jump through to try and prove anything it's really not worth it. So people tend to stick to OEM particularly during warranty period.

This is the one I just literally picked up. Do you guys know if it's meant to have a plastic film over the open end?

10AF83BE-FA53-4257-B29C-ED1B874B4719.jpeg

4B8ED6AF-57E9-44FD-868B-FBE34858490C.jpeg

clinebarger said:
Your Cadillac/Chevrolet dealer should be able to source them for you!

I'm in Australia..but thankyou
smile.gif

Re summit racing, I probably could but if the M1 is the same as the UPF, then it's probably not worth it for the $12 USD I can get the m1 for, unless there is another reason to go with the UPF?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OZHSV
Hey all,

My LSA is in for a service on Friday and the dealer is going to put in a PF48E, which I'm not happy with, I don't like it's construction or e-core filters in general.

Ask the dealer if they stock a non-ecore ACDelco for your car, like the UPF48R posted above.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Hey all,

My LSA is in for a service on Friday and the dealer is going to put in a PF48E, which I'm not happy with, I don't like it's construction or e-core filters in general.

Ask the dealer if they stock a non-ecore ACDelco for your car, like the UPF48R posted above.

I've tried that unfortunately, and all they'll use is the 48E

If you really want the non-e filter you could always buy the PF48 from ebay or Amazon and not have to change it back to ACDelco before the next oil change. However I dont see anything wrong with the newer e core filters for 5k OCI. IMO just use the PF48E and follow the recommended maintenance schedule. Besides, even the fan-favorite Fram Ultra uses plastic cores for some models (e.g., XG8765) and they hold up very well.

If you do have a filter failure under warranty the dealer would cover it.
My main concern with those is not the plastic cage but it the filter material came off. The large spaces allow large pieces into your engine.
Other filters the smaller holes should stop the large pieces if the filter came apart

Originally Posted by RyanY
If you really want the non-e filter you could always buy the PF48 from ebay or Amazon and not have to change it back to ACDelco before the next oil change. However I dont see anything wrong with the newer e core filters for 5k OCI. IMO just use the PF48E and follow the recommended maintenance schedule. Besides, even the fan-favorite Fram Ultra uses plastic cores for some models (e.g., XG8765) and they hold up very well.

Unfortunately the PF48 doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore? I think it went out of production over 2yrs ago, so not surprised. I know the ecores are probably ok, but I just can't get my head around 1) using a filter without metal end caps and, 2) using an OEM filter that is smaller than the one before it.

Originally Posted by tblt44
If you do have a filter failure under warranty the dealer would cover it.
My main concern with those is not the plastic cage but it the filter material came off. The large spaces allow large pieces into your engine.
Other filters the smaller holes should stop the large pieces if the filter came apart

See this is my problem though - yes the dealer would cover it while under warranty, but what about the possibility that it's not filtering as well as some of its alternatives and premature engine wear is occurring now, which might not show up until after the warranty is done? And I share your concerns about the filtering material coming away. To me, this is an unacceptable risk which can be mitigated by using a traditional filter with proper end caps etc.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Fram Ultra XG10060. Now sold in Australia.
smile.gif

Thankyou! I'll look into those as well. The ultra series seems a lot better than the 'orange cans' ?

Do you have a link, I can't seem to find anyone selling them here?

Last edited:
Why not just use the filter that the dealer puts on? This whole wild goose chase for a different filter seems ridiculous, especially for such short OCIs.

Unfortunately the PF48 doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore? I think it went out of production over 2yrs ago, so not surprised. I know the ecores are probably ok, but I just can't get my head around 1) using a filter without metal end caps and, 2) using an OEM filter that is smaller than the one before it.

Some ebay sellers appear to have them unless their ad is wrong (https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-NEW-Engine-Oil-Filter-ACDelco-Pro-PF48-PF48F-BULK-12-PER-CASE-OEM/254286975368?epid=75941358&hash=item3b34af5188:g:SQEAAOSwxJJdH6Ki). Could contact them to verify this before ordering. You also may need to buy 12 filters to get them but at least you will have filters for the next several years!

"This is the one I just literally picked up. Do you guys know if it's meant to have a plastic film over the open end?"

All the M1 filters I've seen and bought did not have the protective cover.

I was using the Fram Ultra filters on my LSA when I had it. It's better constructed and has full synthetic media inside instead of Mobil 1's cellulose/synthetic blend media. Cut one open of each and you'll see the Fram Ultra is way better. It's also the same price or less than the Mobil 1 filters at Walmart. Fram Ultra is rated at 20K mile intervals. You can run Fram Ultra XG10060 or XG10575. I was using the XG10575 as it's a taller version of the XG10060.

If you're only running the oil for 1,200 miles, you can run the e-core filters and not have any issues. I would be worried about the e-core filters for 10K miles or more.

Last edited:
I have a supertech on right now I will be cutting open in a few weeks along with a purolator one I have draining.
Supertech is a ac delco clone here in us.
I will go mobil 1or fram ultra next

Originally Posted by RyanY

Some ebay sellers appear to have them unless their ad is wrong (https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-NEW-Engine-Oil-Filter-ACDelco-Pro-PF48-PF48F-BULK-12-PER-CASE-OEM/254286975368?epid=75941358&hash=item3b34af5188:g:SQEAAOSwxJJdH6Ki). Could contact them to verify this before ordering. You also may need to buy 12 filters to get them but at least you will have filters for the next several years!

Oh wow, that's a great price, but unfortunately it's $108 USD to ship to Australia..

Originally Posted by PimTac
"This is the one I just literally picked up. Do you guys know if it's meant to have a plastic film over the open end?"

All the M1 filters I've seen and bought did not have the protective cover.

Thankyou
smile.gif

Originally Posted by GM4LIFE
I was using the Fram Ultra filters on my LSA when I had it. It's better constructed and has full synthetic media inside instead of Mobil 1's cellulose/synthetic blend media. Cut one open of each and you'll see the Fram Ultra is way better. It's also the same price or less than the Mobil 1 filters at Walmart. Fram Ultra is rated at 20K mile intervals. You can run Fram Ultra XG10060 or XG10575. I was using the XG10575 as it's a taller version of the XG10060.

If you're only running the oil for 1,200 miles, you can run the e-core filters and not have any issues. I would be worried about the e-core filters for 10K miles or more.

Those Fram ultras look great, but once again the issue us finding the [censored] things over here. I'm pretty happy with the M1 I bought yesterday, so I'll see how it goes. It sure feels like a real solid can with some good weight behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back