Vehicle Insurance Goes Down Again

I have been with State Farm vehicle insurance for 33 years now. My policy renews every 6 months and I pay it monthly. Last 6 month policy it went down almost $4 ($3.88) every month. This 6 month policy it went down almost $6 ($5.79) every month. I have been accident free for all 33 years, except for a minor altercation on July 4th, 2015, in which SF never charged me for it.
Anyone else here with SF, and has your policy gone down as well?

The only time my insurance goes down is when I change companies. No crashes, no claims, no tickets.

Last edited:
cannot compare apples to apples on auto insurance policies, yours may have gone down but SF may be much more expensive in one's state/locality etc. Too many variables. Plus yours is a 6 month polciy, some prefer annual and doesn't SF actually charge for the decreasing premium feature, good driver rider???

No they always creep up unless I change companies.

If you are with a company for 33 years, I think you should consult a broker and you may realize a real savings, not 3 bucks a month.

Originally Posted by Spector
cannot compare apples to apples on auto insurance policies, yours may have gone down but SF may be much more expensive in one's state/locality etc. Too many variables. Plus yours is a 6 month polciy, some prefer annual and doesn't SF actually charge for the decreasing premium feature, good driver rider???

I live in La., the state with the 2nd HIGHEST insurance rates in America.
mad.gif
Michigan and La. usually switch off and on for the number 1 spot every other year.
Open the link below, then scroll down to see the results;
https://www.insurancebusinessmag.co...hest-auto-insurance-premiums-159759.aspx

We have insurance through an agent and we've been with Travelers for at least 20 years, maybe more. We currently have full coverage on both the pickup and Equinox with $2500 deductibles and the max for injury. For those two vehicles it costs us $940 annually. We've never had an accident or ticket.

I haven't seen the rates go down but I also don't consider the annual amount excessive, and it doesn't really change unless we change vehicles.

Originally Posted by JustinH
If you are with a company for 33 years, I think you should consult a broker and you may realize a real savings, not 3 bucks a month.

That's quite the blanket statement without even knowing how much he pays for insurance in the first place.

Funny you mention it but all our Statefarms went down $5 on a 6 month premium. This was on the Escape, Festiva and Focus. Surprised me a bit. The RV went up $60 a year though, Progressive.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
We have insurance through an agent and we've been with Travelers for at least 20 years, maybe more. We currently have full coverage on both the pickup and Equinox with $2500 deductibles and the max for injury. For those two vehicles it costs us $940 annually. We've never had an accident or ticket.

I haven't seen the rates go down but I also don't consider the annual amount excessive, and it doesn't really change unless we change vehicles.

Originally Posted by JustinH

That's quite the blanket statement without even knowing how much he pays for insurance in the first place.

He said, "MAY realize"...

Has anyone compared and found cheaper than USAA? I checked in the past (5-10 years ago) and have thought about it since, but everyone says USAA is the best.

Comically, when I tried to get the same premium from Geico, ALL of my coverage went down to the bare minimum. It was enough to make me thankful I have USAA.

I switched from SF to AAA in February. My SF agent retired a number of years ago and handed me of to some random idiot, I assume he was chosen because he was in relatively the same area as my original agent, whom I'd been with for a good 20 years, no claims. Over the past 4 or 5 years my rates were creeping up, again, no claims, no reason for increases.

When I bought my Burb in February I went in and talked to my SF broker and the policy skyrocketed. Turns out, instead of just duplicating what I already had to the Burb I just bought, he took it upon himself to completely change the coverage, rendering the quote useless. This was the first time I'd met with this guy, but I never had a good feeling about him.

AAA gave me a phone quote with a smile, and once I had the Burb in my possession, and that info was plugged into their computer, the rate was identical to the phone quote. The best part about AAA is their in-house DMV services, SSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth the price of admission! It took 20 minutes to buy the Burb and take care of all the paperwork. Had I gone to an actual DMV office, it would have been at least an hour wait just to see someone. I actually had to leave and come back, again, no line, no wait, and everybody on both sides of the counter were laughing and having a good time. So not the normal gulag experience of a normal DMV office.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

mad.gif
Michigan and La. usually switch off and on for the number 1 spot every other year.

Michigan is the most expensive state for car insurance for the sixth consecutive year.
Most Expensive Insurance By State

We're Number One!

Originally Posted by Spartanfool
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

mad.gif

Michigan is the most expensive state for car insurance for the sixth consecutive year.
Most Expensive Insurance By State

We're Number One!

Well I must be a good boy because I'm paying less than half the state average in Michigan .

Us too. We pay around $1950 per year for 2 cars for a fairly generous policy including collision. The same policy 35 mi away in Detroit is close to $5K.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Has anyone compared and found cheaper than USAA? I checked in the past (5-10 years ago) and have thought about it since, but everyone says USAA is the best.

Comically, when I tried to get the same premium from Geico, ALL of my coverage went down to the bare minimum. It was enough to make me thankful I have USAA.

They were the most expensive for me. They wanted about $200 more for a 6 month policy over everybody else last I checked.

I was with Progressive for 8 years with no tickets or accidents, and they shot my premiums up by nearly $400 out of nowhere. When I contacted them about it, they said I was now a higher risk. I asked how considering my clean record, and they said statistically I'm due to have a claim which makes me a high risk. I dropped them that day and went Geico, who I'm still with now 4 years later. The premiums have stayed about the same.

Have All State and mine drops like yours all the time. They run my VIN monthly like they are trying to roll a Yahtzee. We shall see if it stays down after I try to attain a 90's NSX or 3000 GT VR-4.

State Farm made 6.35 Billion dollars in 2018, so maybe they figured they can cut premiums back a little bit. They made nearly 3.75 times more in 2018 vs 2017.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I decided to check out USAA. As my buddy has been with them for years swears by them. All I can say was it was the longest 2 hours of my telephone life and for. NOTHING. Maby it was the bundling with the house ins but they couldn't even come near the ballpark . In the end I was pretty disgusted with the whole 2 hour 🤨no exaggeration either phone ordeal. I went back and told my buddy that he maybe better take a look at what else is out there .
The best advice I ever got on insurance is DONT FALL IN LOVE. Every few years you need to look around as they all like to creep up on you with the rates over time. Trouble is almost anyone including Dennis Quaid would rather get a root canal from a [censored] off German dentist than shop insurance🥺

Back