Water spot remover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

What is a good water spot remover. I am looking at the chemical guys spot remover, but curious who has had good luck with what... One of my cars has some spots that have been on there a while.. Any suggestions?

I'm going to make a guess that those water spots *may* not come off without polishing, in some form or fashion, depending on the mineral content of the water that made the spots, etc.

Ed

This works great on fiberglass, even black colors. Don't know why it wouldn't work on a cool car in the shade.
[Linked Image]

Try plain white vinegar on a rag first. If that doesn't do it, then the spot is etched into the paint and may require compound/polish.

I use 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water with a few drops of dawn soap to take water spots off my black 4 stroke engines and my boat. It works very well. For extremely bad water spots use rubbing compound with a power buffer. Sometimes water spots cannot be removed if etched into the paint.

If they won't come off with a rag and strait cheap white vinegar, next try that same cheap white vinegar and a clay bar. If that does not work, I have had to sand really bad "Mineral" deposits with 1000/1200 grit sand paper and white vinegar, then polish with machine polisher, compound, and glaze. I would strongly suggest you not use a machine polisher unless you have a bit of experience, you could ruin the paint very quickly!

If you have someone else remove water spots with just a machine polisher, and not use vinegar and sandpaper to remove them, the spot will come back like a ghost! It will be gone when finished with the polishing, but will reappear soon after and remain permanently.

Any semi-functioning human can use a random-orbital. You'd pretty much have to be trying to screw up paint with one. Rotaries are the ones you need to be careful of. They swirl and burn paint if you don't know what you're doing. For water spots, or any other blemish, start with a light approach and work your way up to machine polishing if chemical treatments don't work. There's no need to remove clear coat if you don't need to. I'd start with vinegar, and possibly a clay bar.

#0000 steel wool and Sprayway or a good window cleaner for the lubrication and only go in one direction. This advice was given to me by a window shop here in town, while it didn't remove all of it, it made it much better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back