Cheap Synthetic (supertech) vs big brand conventional, your pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ST does not meet ACEA A5/B5. If it did, I would use it in my S60 without hesitation. I do use it in my S70 and Sierra when it's the lowest $$ option. (IE when I need to change but there is no rebate available)

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
What Cujet said imo is gospel when it comes to cars. Clean and frequent oil changes is what's #1 in engine health.

Agreed...the #1 issue an engine faces, exists between the drivers seat and the steering wheel....

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
What Cujet said imo is gospel when it comes to cars. Clean and frequent oil changes is what's #1 in engine health.

Agreed...the #1 issue an engine faces, exists between the drivers seat and the steering wheel....

This
should be a sticky. LOL, good one!

And i agree. Outside of this thread, at 5K mile intervals, it really doesn't matter so long as spec is met.

How does the horn mess with the engine???
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by 007
tiger862 said:
I use an oil that meets spec and Supertech doesn't so I would take Havoline ProDS in 6qt box for 19.95. Heck if I wanted conventional then Havoline conventional is 14.95 for 6qt. box.

I am curious. Exactly what spec does Super Tech not meet? From what I see its meets every spec for a vehicle sold in America. If that's not true please advise because there is a much larger price difference ( NOT 2 bucks) between it (sales aside) and any other similar weight and type oil available where I live.

It doesn't meet Chrysler spec which I have a 18
Grand Caravan under warranty.

Neither the MS-6395 nor the SRT MS-12633 are REQUIRED to maintain your warranty, per the owners manual. They only care that you use the proper grade of API certified oil. If they wanted it required, they would have written that like they do for the octane ratings needed. All MS-6395 is is a mirror of ILSAC GF-5 and a 2 year fleet test. It's not special.

Selection Of Engine Oil For Flexible Fuel Vehicles
(E-85) And Gasoline Vehicles
FFV vehicles operated on E-85 require specially formulated
engine oils. These special requirements are included in
Mopar engine oils, and in equivalent oils meeting FCA US
Material Standard MS-6395. It is recommended that engine
oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of
Material Standard MS-6395 be used. MS-6395 contains
additional requirements, developed during extensive fleet
testing, to provide additional protection to FCA US LLC
engines.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS 383

What part of required do you need. This is straight out of the manual.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105

How does the horn mess with the engine???
grin.gif

over time going over bumps and stuff causes intermittent short and it reduces power to the spark plugs which causes knocking ... it think experts call it LSPI. That's why we need to use Dexos certified oil.

Also people who use their horn more often after it has kind of shorted experience more engine knock!

Originally Posted by 007
I use an oil that meets spec and Supertech doesn't so I would take Havoline ProDS in 6qt box for 19.95. Heck if I wanted conventional then Havoline conventional is 14.95 for 6qt. box.

I am curious. Exactly what spec does Super Tech not meet? From what I see its meets every spec for a vehicle sold in America. If that's not true please advise because there is a much larger price difference ( NOT 2 bucks) between it (sales aside) and any other similar weight and type oil available where I live.

It meets Chrysler https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3307068/Walmart_SuperTech_Synthetic_sp

And has for years.

We should rename this site to "STITOG" haha

Yeah, its gaining in popularity.

I used hundreds of gallons of QSAD so if I had to I'd use that

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by 007

It meets Chrysler https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3307068/Walmart_SuperTech_Synthetic_sp

And has for years.

This is a 5 year old spec. Supertech doesn't mention Chrysler spec on bottle and we know that they have changed formula at least once in that 5 year period

Tiger862: it obviously meets the spec so may I ask what's all the fuss about?

At least its SN+ and DEXOS 1 GEN 2 which to me are a bit more strict. Am I wrong?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Tiger862: it obviously meets the spec so may I ask what's all the fuss about?

At least its SN+ and DEXOS 1 GEN 2 which to me are a bit more strict. Am I wrong?

No fuss just facts. I have read specs on bottle and nowhere does it say meets specs. If you sell a product that meets spec then put in on bottle so people that have a Chrysler product under warranty will buy. Lots of speculation on this and only a 5 year old post was given. Show me it now meets spec so if my engine has a problem I can prove it. .

Originally Posted by 4WD
Walmart is showing it $17.47/jug right now …

Not the 5W-20 or 10W-30... but i did see the 5W-30 is $17.47. If that's the normal retail price, it's still an excellent value.

Capture.PNG

Only saw Dexos on that and 0W20 …
What other approvals?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Whammo
Would you choose Supertech Synthetic or a big name conventional oil (Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol, QS) if they were the same price and were used for 4,500 oci?
Based upon your question, I would choose the Supertech synthetic over any conventional oil. I stopped using conventional oil in almost everything I own after an engine failure in a John Deere push mower back in 2006. That machine ran well for seven years with regular oil changes of Quaker State or Penzoil SAE 30, and then it just threw a rod. Oil is cheap; engines are not. Enough said?

FFV vehicles operated on E-85 require specially formulated
Material Standard MS-6395. It is recommended that engine
oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of
Material Standard MS-6395 be used. MS-6395 contains
additional requirements, developed during extensive fleet
testing, to provide additional protection to FCA US LLC
engines.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS 383

What part of required do you need. This is straight out of the manual.

What part of recommended do you need? I even highlighted the "recommended" part in my manual.

Or let's try this... you show me, as well as the rest of this forum, what is exactly so special about the MS-6395 spec. The sheets are posted here somewhere. Because when I looked at it, it was just ISLAC GF-5 copy and pasted.

92E71297-3C93-46A9-85D7-776B4DD81B2B.jpeg

Skippy I have flex fuel

FFV vehicles operated on E-85 REQUIRE specially formulated
Material Standard MS-6395.

It also stated Lubricant without correct certifications should not be used.

Last time I respond to this. I would never tell anyone to use an uncertified lubricant for there vehicle
You can try your best to get your point across bit I already had this discussion with Valvoline about Napa oil and even posted email where Valvoline wouldn't stand behind Napa as it wasn't certified nor would Mobil stand behind Mobil 1 cause it wasn't certified. If big oil companies say it is required then it is required. I don't want to pay for an engine if Chrysler decides since I didn't use certified oil cause I took it as Recommended. Rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back