Emailed Quaker State and they wouldn't give me their NOACKs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed them to find out the NOACK of their Synthetic Blend oils (not high mileage). They said they aren't allowed to say. Wow.

Okay.

If that's a deal breaker for you then buy another brand that does report the values? It's going to meet the requirements of the license or certification, whichever one that is.

It's a notably variable test, that is demonstrably non-repeatable from test rig to test rig.
And the reality is that NOACK on its own isn't enough information to make an informed decision about anything.

No wonder they wouldn't give it to you.

Yes it does seem to be another one of those values that people obsess over, but in reality doesn't mean as much as they imagine it does - at least within the limits of the specification to which it is attached.

Originally Posted by kschachn
And it's "Noack", not NOACK.

Yes, I'm sure people were confused over what NOACK was referring to
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by Whammo
smirk2.gif

It makes you look more credible when you spell things correctly, that's all.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
you have to know the secret hand shake

It makes you look more credible when you post technically relevant responses too.

Originally Posted by Imp4
It's a notably variable test, that is demonstrably non-repeatable from test rig to test rig.
And the reality is that NOACK on its own isn't enough information to make an informed decision about anything.

No wonder they wouldn't give it to you.

Correct, it's understandable why they don't provide it. Many people get fixated on particular numbers.

smirk2.gif

It makes you look more credible when you spell things correctly, that's all.

People don't seem to care if it's Noack or NOACK. All the letters are there in the correct order, capitalized or not. It doesn't mean different tests whether you capitalize the letters or not.

Also, there are 4 different types of tests can be performed in accordance to the ASTM spec.

Not all of them are completely interchangeable.
A uses the Noack evaporative tester
B uses the automated non-Woods metal Noack evaporative apparatus
C uses Selby-Noack volatility test equipment
D uses Noack S2 test equipment.

A & C provides equivalent results
B&D provides equivalent results

A/C provide slightly lower results than B/D on formulated engine oils
A/C provide slightly higher results than B/D on basestocks

confused?

All of this is in the ASTM

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
It's company policy. Just like Mobil doesn't list NOACK either.

They don't list it on their website but if you email them they will provide it to you. I asked them the Noack value for ESP 5w30 and they told me 7.9%

I emailed them to find out the NOACK of their Synthetic Blend oils (not high mileage). They said they aren't allowed to say. Wow.

Their synthetic blend 5w30 is Dexos approved so we know it's lower than 13%.

Last edited:
Yes it does seem to be another one of those values that people obsess over, but in reality doesn't mean as much as they imagine it does - at least within the limits of the specification to which it is attached.
But when it comes down to it, many people (here) will refuse to use it because of not knowing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back