Tub Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to replace my tub with a walk-in shower, but if I was choosing I would pick the porcelain/metal one especially at the same cost. Double the weight tells you it should be much more durable in the long term. I have an American Standard toilet that will swallow a family of drowning rats on a single flush, so they get my vote
smile.gif

Get the heavier metal tub. Plumbers often try to talk customers out of them because they don't want to work with the heavy weight of the tub. Don't listen, and go with the porcelain/metal combo.

Every home should have a tub. There are medical conditions where you need to sit in fairly hot water. Hard to do it without a tub.

But we replaced our other tub with a walk-in shower, which is far more useful. We used a custom made, very heavy shower pan, and tiled from there up.

I'd prefer the metal tub as well... but, the other is a bit taller and wider per specs... I like a wide tub especially if it will be used as a shower also... I'd see if Lowe's has an American Standard or something else that is a bit wider.

Originally Posted by Kira
"... swallow{ing} a family of drowning rats on a single flush" is now my yardstick of performance for everything.

Love it. Sounds like mine also. I couldn't stand to have those water saving models.

The metal tubs are better in this low price range. But the Princeton would never be my choice. You can only get 9.5 inches of water in it before it hits the overflow. Look for something with a deeper pool. The Depot sells a Bootz Maui soaking tub which allows almost one foot of water in it. I have used them and customers seem happy with them. Decent quality and a good price. If you want one even deeper than that look at a Kohler Archer soaking tub. It is modestly priced. An acrylic tub which is extremely sturdy and top rate quality. I have one in my home and it stands up to heavy use very well.

I had one put in about year ago, similar to Lowes above, made from Americast brand engineered material, but larger in size. Very satisified with it, very substantial and solid.

I agree with the cast iron... Kohler.

However, to stay in your rules.
Go to Home Depot, they have the Princeton at a slightly higher price.
Tell them Lowes price and they will beat it usually by 10%.

Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by Kira
"... swallow{ing} a family of drowning rats on a single flush" is now my yardstick of performance for everything.

Love it. Sounds like mine also. I couldn't stand to have those water saving models.

Gents, the actual selling point of this model (called the Champion, no less
lol.gif
) is that you can fill the bowl full of golf balls and then empty it with one flush. I've never found it necessary or intelligent to waste 2 cases of golf balls, I figured something more representative was in order.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I have an American Standard toilet that will swallow a family of drowning rats on a single flush, so they get my vote
smile.gif

This is the greatest thing I've read all day!

But I agree, not a fan of the water conserving stuff.... I removed the water restrictor in my shower head.... I could pee harder than that thing before I did that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back