fat tire bikes, benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some threads out there; google is your friend...

I've toyed with getting one, but, I like having a bicycle per use. Bicycles are a bit like shoes and don't do "many" different things well. A boot good in snow and slush is probably lousy for hiking in summer; a shoe for working in an office is probably lousy for walking on wet grass. Etc.

Supposed to be great on snow, nice wide contact patch. Not sure about sand but certainly for any loose terrain. Also low tire pressure so suspension not needed. But. Low end bikes seem to weigh a lot; to get back to low weight you spend a pretty penny. I think most are 1x drivetrains as the wide tire would otherwise require a really wide crank.

I still want one but right now I don't ride off-road enough to justify the entry price for a good one. Back when I did ride off-road I only road non-suspension bikes, and I'm not sure I'd like the change to suspension. Probably just FUD on my part.

google is NOT your friend as it is bought by many to show their adds again + again + it sells your info as well prolly, otherwise a decent search

Originally Posted by benjy
google is NOT your friend as it is bought by many to show their adds again + again + it sells your info as well prolly, otherwise a decent search

Well yes, but one could skip the ads and easily just look at anything posted on a forum. Multiple forums, actually. I recall when I searched I found several forums that had many responses, more than I could regurgitate here, and by people who had bought and either kept or ditched after riding for a while.

They work on beaches and packed snow and offer a cushion without shocks are my observations borrowing them from reps who demo them near my home at a local riding Mecca.

About the only thing you wouldn't want to do with a Fat Bike Is go on long road rides. But for the most part they are kind of universal. From trail riding to running across town and curb jumping. You can take them out for a 15 mile ride on the road but like stated above, a road bike would be better suited for that and be more efficient.

There are also plus size tire bikes with up to 3" tires which kind of split the difference between a fat and trail bike. Also tubeless tires allow you to run lower pressures so maybe a plus size tubeless 29" tire might do pretty good in most sand? Ask or see what the locals run is never a bad idea either.

The fat tire bikes are good candidates for electric conversion.

Otherwise, they are really slow, and quite heavy. I'd much rather ride something fast, if only for the cooling breeze while at speed.

They require much more energy to use and will tire you out sooner.
Beach bikes and fat tire bikes suck.

Bikes with a full suspension soak up more energy used to pedal. Bikes with a front suspension fork aren't really needed on the pavement or most pathways.

If you have money and want the best for under $1000, test ride a Jamis Coda Comp $789. I test rode one years ago and couldn't believe how good it rode on the crappy streets
in Clintonville, OH. The good bikes are available in different frame sizes.

My wife is an avid road rider and has a $4K road bike. But she also keeps a cheap bike from Target at her parents house in Brooklyn. She rides the cheap bike in NYC and Central Park.

If you assemble this bike correctly and choose the right size, the one shown below isn't too bad at $200 and looks comfortable without being too heavy.
Available in different colors and sizes.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/eclipse-city-bikes.htm

[Linked Image]

Lighter speed bikes are for going fast (Racing) or to get somewhere (commute) or if you fancy yourself ...Lance Armstrong. If you want a good workout without riding 20 miles then fat bike works as well as looking pretty cool doing it. ...i mean my fat bike has Clown Shoes for tires lol. Also there are different fat tires you can fit that lean more toward road usage or hard dirt/gravel that roll more easily if you choose. Why someone would buy a racing bike to get a good workout baffles. harder to pedal means you get a better workout. and you do have gears to adjust the load you're pushing. A good tradeoff is a mountainbike with 3" tires. I was eyeballing the 29" Krampus before getting the fat tire mountain bike.

Hop on MTBr.com forum's and read up. This is a great sight but NOT the one to help you determine if a fatty is what would work well for you. There are a ton of questions of what your needs and wishes are fro the bike before you can answer that.

I have multiple bikes, 2 of them are fatty's. One is carbon one is AL. I have multiple wheel sets and each have a purpose. Me and how I ride I could never just have 1 type of bike, fatty or not. Determine how and where you will ride and then test drive em and only then will you know.

There are some things a fatty does so well. Winter is a big plus but I really like them for bikepacking. Total jackpot to load up with some bags and hit some awesome trails for a solid backpakcing ride. Im in NE so a winter bikepack or fall too in Vermont for an Inn to Inn is so much fun.

wow, a lot more information than I thought, thanks. So, my garage sale bike is falling apart, not worth putting money in to. My son, (9) we like to ride bikes together. We have local paved bike paths, the occasional camping trips with dirt roads, beaches but mostly short family bike riding, not hobby sport riding. I thought the fat tire bike would be a good all around bike and would "look cool" too. One of my requirements is that I want it to be comfortable since Im tall (6'4") and suspension would be nice as we like to play around jumping curbs and fool around. I grew up racing BMX, my son has my old Cook Bros. racing bikes from the early 80's. Thinking around the holidays I may pull the trigger on a bike. However, I really dont know anything about them.

I ride a 27.5+ Devinci Hendrix mid-travel on trails here. 3" wide tubeless tires, front at 11 psi, rear at 13 psi. It's a hoot to ride, traction like velcro, soft, floats over sand. Yes it's not smoking fast but I'm over fast. There's no real definition of fat tires any more, start at 3" and go in increments to 5". 26" is the most common rim diameter. I'm not up on true fat tires and full suspension, most common is full rigid or front fork rigid frame. Lots to choose from. See very few 5" fat bikes in the wild.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
wow, a lot more information than I thought, thanks. So, my garage sale bike is falling apart, not worth putting money in to. My son, (9) we like to ride bikes together. We have local paved bike paths, the occasional camping trips with dirt roads, beaches but mostly short family bike riding, not hobby sport riding. I thought the fat tire bike would be a good all around bike and would "look cool" too. One of my requirements is that I want it to be comfortable since Im tall (6'4") and suspension would be nice as we like to play around jumping curbs and fool around. I grew up racing BMX, my son has my old Cook Bros. racing bikes from the early 80's. Thinking around the holidays I may pull the trigger on a bike. However, I really dont know anything about them.

6'4 and any bike makes things just a tad more difficult. From what you are looking for....my suggestion is check out Pinkbike online for the used section. As you describe your needs a fatty (4+ tires) is a pretty good option. I can say my 2016 Trek Farley was bought used for $1200 and solid deal. i use it to ride with my kids on 3" wheelset and use the bog boys studded for winter. Geat bike with no suspension.

There are plenty cheaper out there that might fit your needs as well. Check out Surly for a few cheaper alternatives. At 6'4" ride em first! Fit is rough.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Less flat tires.

Just utter BS.

no its not
in my expireance flats went from 2 a summer to zero.
Plus more of a work out ,I didn't want a efficient bike.

You're speakin' my language. I used to have full suspension bikes and spent a ton keeping them rolling. In 2011 or so, I got a gig building wheels for a shop that specialized in fat and plus bikes. He sold Surly, Salsa, 907, Fatback and Borealis. After riding a few bikes, I built myself a 907 with 100mm rims and 4.8" tires. I quickly learned what worked well and what didn't. I'm a big, heavy guy so I like big tires. I'm currently running 80mm Surly My Other Brother Darryl rims with a 4.8" Surly Bud as a front tire and a 4.8" Surly Knard on the rear. When it starts snowing, I swap the Knard out for a 4.8" Lou for ultimate traction.
I ride my fatty full rigid. No use for a suspension fork on these bikes. I ride it on regular trails, in snow, on the beach for miles and miles. They're excellent bikes.

I'm about to swap out my current 907 frame for a Surly Ice Cream Truck as soon as the new run is released. I'll be updating my drivetrain from 2x10 to 1x12.

I'd suggest the Ice Cream truck if you're big and burly. I'm 6'5" and 260 pounds so I need big tires for maximum flotation. If you're smaller, have a look at the Surly Wednesday. It takes a slightly smaller tire but is a completely capable bike. I have a few friends with them. I'm leaning toward the Surly bikes because they both come with the Other Brother Darryl rims. They're light and strong and offer excellent tubeless. I haven't had a flat since going tubeless in 2010.
I'm not sure if any bikes come with them, but Alex Blizzerks are also excellent rims. Alex actually makes Surly's rims so no surprise there. I wouldn't waste my time with too many other complete bikes out there based on the rims. MOST fat bikes don't have good rims. Almost every bike I build for me, family members or customers gets built from a frameset and I lace up custom wheels with Surly or Alex rims.
The Wednesday is about 1500 bucks. It's the cheapest good bike I'd look at. The rear hub will fail first if you're strong. Just have someone lace in something better.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I ride a 27.5+ Devinci Hendrix mid-travel on trails here. 3" wide tubeless tires, front at 11 psi, rear at 13 psi. It's a hoot to ride, traction like velcro, soft, floats over sand. Yes it's not smoking fast but I'm over fast. There's no real definition of fat tires any more, start at 3" and go in increments to 5". 26" is the most common rim diameter. I'm not up on true fat tires and full suspension, most common is full rigid or front fork rigid frame. Lots to choose from. See very few 5" fat bikes in the wild.

thumbsup2.gif

I ride a Norco fatty (Bigfoot) and it is fantastic for cruising with the kids, who are bopping in and out of trails on their mountain bikes. It's surprisingly light and extremely capable, just don't expect to be going mach 6 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back