Pleasantly surprised MB ATF service cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hit 40k in my E350 4matic so I took it in for the transmission service. They are flushing the ATF , not a spill and fill . Cost is $500 , I was thinking more , so that was nice . I asked about the AWD fluid and they were adamant that it isn't needed . I'm not convinced of that but it always can be done at a later date. So all dealers are not scum is my point

Ooof $500. I don't think I could've stomached that. Would've done it on my own but I get the allure of a shop doing it. D&F's never get all the old fluid out.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Just hit 40k in my E350 4matic so I took it in for the transmission service. They are flushing the ATF , not a spill and fill . Cost is $500 , I was thinking more , so that was nice . I asked about the AWD fluid and they were adamant that it isn't needed . I'm not convinced of that but it always can be done at a later date. So all dealers are not scum is my point

Huh??

Just for comparison, my Honda dealer drains the ATF completely, runs a "cleaning and conditioning" solution through the system, they remove that solution, and then refills with completely fresh ATF. This is their premium ATF service. It costs $130.

MB is one of the few OEM's which REQUIRES a pan drop and filter change with each ATF service.

I have done several of them. Here is a thread that I made on one of them: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4595625/Searchpage/2/Main/280379/Words/%2B722.9/Search/true/mercedes-722-9-transmission-service-tips#Post4595625

As long as you perform a trans service every 40K (red fluid) or 60K (blue fluid), there is no need to "Flush" the unit.

Most of the 722.9 trans also have a torque converter drain plug, but some of the more recent models with start/stop no longer have it.

While I'm sure there are thousands of transmissions out there that have been flushed with no issues, it always seems like an 'iffy thing to do. I'd much rather regular drain & fills on my gearbox.

Originally Posted by Phishin

Huh??

Just for comparison, my Honda dealer drains the ATF completely, runs a "cleaning and conditioning" solution through the system, they remove that solution, and then refills with completely fresh ATF. This is their premium ATF service. It costs $130.

Next time you are at your Honda dealer, ask them how much to change out the fluid on the 9 speed transmissions (Honda 2016-2019 Pilots Touring and Elite models). I believe 3 quarts of the special Honda fluid will be almost $130.00 alone at the dealership!

That's cheap. For comparison local import shops were going to charge me $600 in labor of a D&F on my ZF8HP (I was going to supply the parts)

I'm not so sure they're doing a "complete" fluid replacement for that price. Most Hondas take 9+ quarts of fluid and they'll price those around $10/quart so that's at least $90 in fluid already.

I have seen Honda dealers around here advertise a single drain-and-fill for $89 but that was a few years ago so I'd guess it's $99, $109, etc nowadays.

Let me tell you the eye candy and donuts are top shelf at the MB dealer

Of course. They do a great job with those amenities.

Our local MB dealer is a Sonic dealer and it is a top-notch facility. Their price for a transmission service is $600 and it includes a pan drop and filter change. Even if there is a torque converter drain it does not get touched.

I paid my MB indy shop under $400 for a complete drain and fill, including torque converter and transfer case fluid change.

Occasionally they have $120-$150 off service when it's over $250-$300 so that's a good time to use the coupons. But they also offer prepaid maintenance that you can buy up to 80k. Those are good for spark plugs and transmission fluid change as those are included as part of the pre-paid maintenance. Depending on the car, you could have spark plugs at 60k and transmission fluid at 70k and the 3 service pack is typically a little over 1000. The standard service A is usually about $300 and the service B is about $500-$600 so even if you don't need those services, it's slightly cheaper unless you have a discount coupon to use.

As for me, I just have an indy do mine, you can get Shell ATF 134 or ATF 134 FE at a shell distributor. My local one carries 134 FE now. Dealers charge over $20 a quart, but the Shell stuff by the case is around $5 a quart.

https://www.shell.us/business-customers/lubricants-for-business/lubricants-distributor-locator.html

Huh??

Theres also no serviceable filter in them either, and 4 quart capacity. So a dump and fill for the same benz with the same quantity would be about 200 for apples to apples. Its the labor of removing the pan and the additional 5-6 quarts at 20$+ where the additional money comes in. We are in the 400-450 range depending on fluid, so we usually lose out when the customers call from the dealers waiting room for quotes haha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
To copy a Merc key cost me 25% more than your ATF service recently. So quite a reasonable expense.

Yup they are expensive if you lose one I heard . ATF fluid today was $26.50 a liter .lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back