Any Towing Reviews with New Tacoma V6 Manual 4x4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Good entertainment at the boat ramps

I'd agree but with 4wd low they will usually idle out unless you have a porker in the water.

I launched lighter fishing boats with a 2005 ranger and with 4wd low it was nearly cheating... although automatic is still much nicer.

Originally Posted by robertcope
I tried to tow a small aluminum trailer carrying a Miata on it with my '97 Tacoma w/ Supercharger and URD 7th injector setup. It was marginal at best, terrible in hills or with a headwind. A newer Tacoma is probably a bit better, but I'd be wary.

That seems hard to believe; a 3.4 with a supercharger is around 270 at the crank, from what I can tell from casual surfing. That seems like it should be enough. But it likely would need to be out of overdrive at the least, and maybe 1 more gear down on hills. Which is true of pretty much all gas trucks unless lightly loaded.

This isn't a case of "it has to downshift for every hill" being misread as underpowered, is it? I mean, I don't like having to downshift hills either, but it's the nature of the beast in the hills.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I ran into someone from a local off road club that tows a Jeep on a trailer with a 3.5 / 6 speed Tacoma. Says it tows great. And we all tow through the hills of PA, so that says something

That's the problem here - tons of hills.

Having the manual eliminates a TON of heat from the cooling system. It even says in the 2019 Tacoma owners manual that the truck may overheat when towing up steep grades above 85 degrees.

And yes, you can still get the V6 with the manual, both in access cab and double cab, but only double cab with the 5 foot bed.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
However, with the manual, there are less driveline losses compared to an automatic...
I don't know, I just think the Taco might not be so bad with the manual transmission.

Not true any more. The automatic is just as efficient as the manual. It even gets better gas mileage. Also, towing with a manual is hard on the clutch. The automatic is the way to go especially when towing.

The Tacoma can tow decently. I recently saw a couple of Tacomas towing dual axle camping trailers no sweat.

I don't buy this.

It's physics at work - you have a fluid coupling in an auto, and a direct connection in the manual.

The autos are more "efficient" because automakers simply tune them to get the best MPG in the EPA tests.

Why don't you just get a Duramax Canyon or Colorado. They are the most capable mid-size truck available, especially for towing.

The Tacoma, manual or otherwise doesn't even come close.

Thinking the stick will outdo an auto in the Tacoma because it might do a little better on the dyno is nonsense.

You can configure a Tacoma with a V6 and a stick. You cannot on the SR, SR5 and Limited trims however.

There are better choices if your at or near the threshold where more power when towing would be welcomed.

Truth is, Toyota is conservative with engines and tends to keep what works around for a looooong time.

In the real world, the Tacoma is a loser regarding power and fuel economy. It's popular because or it's perception of reliability.
There are more powerful full size trucks that get better fuel economy. A 4X4 F150 with a V8 is rated better on the higher and will murder a Tacoma pulling a trailer in a race.

The Tacoma is popular because or it's perception of reliability. It's dumb and out dated.

https://www.culvercitytoyota.com/in...wd-trd-pro-4wd-crewmax-5tfcz5an8kx190604

However, with the manual, there are less driveline losses compared to an automatic...
I don't know, I just think the Taco might not be so bad with the manual transmission.

Not true any more. The automatic is just as efficient as the manual. It even gets better gas mileage. Also, towing with a manual is hard on the clutch. The automatic is the way to go especially when towing.

The Tacoma can tow decently. I recently saw a couple of Tacomas towing dual axle camping trailers no sweat.

I don't buy this.

It's physics at work - you have a fluid coupling in an auto, and a direct connection in the manual.

The autos are more "efficient" because automakers simply tune them to get the best MPG in the EPA tests.

Not anymore...most autos will lock the torque converter for everything except sitting at a light and while shifting.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Why don't you just get a Duramax Canyon or Colorado. They are the most capable mid-size truck available, especially for towing.

Zero passing power. I drive on a lot of two lane roads and there's always people going 45 MPH in a 55. 180 HP is a joke.

Zero passing power. I drive on a lot of two lane roads and there's always people going 45 MPH in a 55. 180 HP is a joke.

I would look up the towing limits for the manual from the manufacturer before you pull the trigger. For the Ram 3500, the last years of the manuals had lower ratings than the auto for some reason?(maybe to save the clutch starting off?)
Anyways, if you want a manual, get it. It may tow better near the upper limit for weight as its up to you to pick the ratios, and you can see the road ahead where the auto can't. I kind of liked the challenge of towing 2000+lbs with my manual 127hp Tracker and while I wouldn't want to cross the Rockies or the country with it, it did pretty good without a problem.

Originally Posted by IndyIan

I would look up the towing limits for the manual from the manufacturer before you pull the trigger. For the Ram 3500, the last years of the manuals had lower ratings than the auto for some reason?(maybe to save the clutch starting off?)
Anyways, if you want a manual, get it. It may tow better near the upper limit for weight as its up to you to pick the ratios, and you can see the road ahead where the auto can't. I kind of liked the challenge of towing 2000+lbs with my manual 127hp Tracker and while I wouldn't want to cross the Rockies or the country with it, it did pretty good without a problem.

It's 6400 lbs. with the manual.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Not anymore...most autos will lock the torque converter for everything except sitting at a light and while shifting.

I'd check on that first. Toyota (or Aisin?) seem to dislike lockup for some reason. I get the impression that they'd rather run unlocked in a too-tall gear instead of forcing a downshift. Problem is, every transmission is different this regard, as is trans programming per model and probably model year.

I know my Tundra does not use lockup in gears 1,2,3 (says so in the A760 literature no less). It will lockup in 4,5,6 but it prefers to not downshift but rather run unlocked when asked for more power. I also don't think it likes to lock up below 2k or so in 4th, it seems like with any amount of throttle it doesn't care for it altogether.

Anyhow, once above 2k or so slippage should be minimal--certainly by 3k it should be low, unless if Toyota is using a pretty high stall rating convertor. And in lockup there should be no slippage, but you still do have heating from the pump. And of course there is very likely a coolant to ATF heat exchanger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DriveHard

I don't buy this.

Are you sure? I think that's only for steady-state cruising and overdrive purposes in the upper gears.

So if you're going uphill, you had better install an auxiliary trans cooler (on top of the factory one) if you want to keep temps down towing in the mountains.

I ran into someone from a local off road club that tows a Jeep on a trailer with a 3.5 / 6 speed Tacoma. Says it tows great. And we all tow through the hills of PA, so that says something

Having the manual eliminates a TON of heat from the cooling system. It even says in the 2019 Tacoma owners manual that the truck may overheat when towing up steep grades above 85 degrees.

And yes, you can still get the V6 with the manual, both in access cab and double cab, but only double cab with the 5 foot bed.

My truck is a manual and I consider it a hindrance in the hills. Sure the autos will get reallllllllll toasty on the hills, but they have a torque converter that can be unlocked for more torque multiplication. I have the option of winding out my 230K mile engine at 4500 RPM for minutes on end or putting along at 20 or 30 mph with the 4 ways on. I've been in a few situations where my gears are just too far apart. Either I'm stuck in 3rd gear and can't do it in 4th, or like last time, I was on a hill that I could only do in 2nd gear.

I still prefer a manual for towing, though.

Why the fixation on a manual? Trust me, they sound like a good idea at first, then after 10 yrs driving one you're tired of it. I'm not talking about a sports car manual, but a truck manual or an suv manual as was the case with my beloved Forester with which I parted ways last month for the F-150. I liked that car well enough for the time I owned it, but the hard fact is I was not only ready for something different after 10 yrs but also tired of the manual. Didn't help that 1st gear in the Forester was short and you're shifting to 2nd as you traverse the middle of the average intersection in most municipalities.

I'd encourage the OP to seek an automatic.

P.S. I'd have to think something was broken on the Colorado in the video if we're talking the 3.6 liter V6 which is rated 300+ hp at the crank. I did drive one with the 3.6 when shopping trucks and it didn't have much down low, and I didn't lean into the throttle too awful much on account of the salesman was with me.

My truck is a manual and I consider it a hindrance in the hills. Sure the autos will get reallllllllll toasty on the hills, but they have a torque converter that can be unlocked for more torque multiplication. I have the option of winding out my 230K mile engine at 4500 RPM for minutes on end or putting along at 20 or 30 mph with the 4 ways on. I've been in a few situations where my gears are just too far apart. Either I'm stuck in 3rd gear and can't do it in 4th, or like last time, I was on a hill that I could only do in 2nd gear.

? What kind of truck is this that only goes 30 MPH uphill?

? What kind of truck is this that only goes 30 MPH uphill?

A >200K engine pulling 7000 pounds up this hill:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.757166,-76.5284511,3a,75y,271.33h,80.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJN2yJ4sUJFRjSTmAEJof7g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Look at the angle of the trees. It's a really steep hill.

It's not a sports car transmission. It's slow to shift, even double clutching it. By the time you catch the next gear, you've lost speed and the gears are so far apart the engine drops too far out of the power band.

For what it's worth, a friend's Dodge truck kicked all the way down to 1st gear and was going as low as I was!

I posted in a Tacoma owner forum and they basically said the truck is great for commuting, off roading, but it isn't great for towing.

Half ton it is!

I also drive on 2 lane twisty roads and never have any issue passing. 4th gear is good for passing, at 3000 RPM is 60 mph which is enough to pass most slow pokes going 45.

I can't seem to find any legitimate reviews of a new Tacoma V6 towing with the manual transmission.

Here's what I am thinking: Yes, the new V6 requires you to rev higher. However, with the manual, there are less driveline losses compared to an automatic. As we all know, the Toyota automatic likes to keep RPMs low for efficiency, even though the powerband is higher up in the rev range.

I saw a dyno of the new Colorado, and it only put down 194 HP and 200 TQ to the tire. That's pretty awful. Now I know every dyno is different and what not, but that's still a huge loss in power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-JCkERNV0A

Here's the diesel version on the same dyno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-qKXmPs0yM&t=192s

The diesel put down pretty much the exact HP that it's rated at. 180 HP and 365 TQ to the tire.

And here's the Taco with the manual trans on a Dynapak, putting down 232 hp and 234 torque to the tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgpSd2HM8qE

I don't know, I just think the Taco might not be so bad with the manual transmission. Anyone want to loan me one so I can make a 5000 lb. towing video?

I can't seem to find any legitimate reviews of a new Tacoma V6 towing with the manual transmission.

Here's what I am thinking: Yes, the new V6 requires you to rev higher. However, with the manual, there are less driveline losses compared to an automatic. As we all know, the Toyota automatic likes to keep RPMs low for efficiency, even though the powerband is higher up in the rev range.

I saw a dyno of the new Colorado, and it only put down 194 HP and 200 TQ to the tire. That's pretty awful. Now I know every dyno is different and what not, but that's still a huge loss in power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-JCkERNV0A

Here's the diesel version on the same dyno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-qKXmPs0yM&t=192s

The diesel put down pretty much the exact HP that it's rated at. 180 HP and 365 TQ to the tire.

And here's the Taco with the manual trans on a Dynapak, putting down 232 hp and 234 torque to the tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgpSd2HM8qE

I don't know, I just think the Taco might not be so bad with the manual transmission. Anyone want to loan me one so I can make a 5000 lb. towing video?

Manual tranny is not an option on the 2019 models
Not even in the base model 4 banger

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Manual tranny is not an option on the 2019 models
Not even in the base model 4 banger

So I was curious, and just went to Toyota's website, and built a TRD Offroad Tacoma with the V6, and 6-speed manual.

Oh, and they have them on the dealer lots, too...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back